Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Throttle won’t accelerate past 3/4 slight surge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Throttle won’t accelerate past 3/4 slight surge

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Stevo89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle won’t accelerate past 3/4 slight surge
    Posted: June-17-2018 at 8:27pm
Quick back story bought a 1990 Ski Nautique 351w in 2016 prior to me buying it it had a protec EI put in was ran some and then sat 2 Year’s (due to previous owners passing away) after I bought it we discovered that it was not running on all cylinders. After changing the plugs and having a compression test done(everything was ok) and the timing set. Took the boat out shortly after that and experienced a poping In the carb and hesitation or stall on launch. Sent the carb out and had it rebuilt. Fixed the problem with popping but not the launch issue. So I decided to get a new carb and switched from the 600cfm holly to a 600cfm quick fuel. Upon doing so the fuel line did not line up so I had to change to a slight longer flex line. Took the boat out again and it ran beautiful for about 2.5 hrs then when cruising upstream the engine just cut out ( like someone shut the key off). So I took it and dropped it off at the marina to see what the issue was . Turns out the gear on the bottem of the distributor sheared off. So I got a new distributor installed and he also decided to use the electrical tune up that I had already bought previously just to have on hand ( coil, rotor, distributor cap, plug wires, fuel water seperator) and it was re timed. Took the boat out yesterday to test and see if this distributor was going to shear off. (It didn’t) the idle is set right around 900rpm when at very low speed it seemed to surge slightly then ran great in mid range up to 3000rpm cruising. Once I try to go any faster / beyond 3/4-7/8 throttle I get nothing no rpm increase no speed no power however the boat surges ( I think that’s the word to describe it ) and feels like it wants to give more but can’t. The carb is still factory set idk if fuel/air screws could effect only the low and high end. Or if it was something more like and air leak, fuel pump /filter/ line issue or something I’m not thinking of any feed back is greatly appreciated and thank you all in advance. (Also happy Father’s Day to any dads out there )
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2018 at 9:54pm
Sounds like you put point style distributor in?   If so I’d check advance springs intact, firing order correct.   They will run with certain combination of wires being wrong just not very well. Recheck dwell and timing to verify nothing has changed. Check fuel pressure desired is 5-7 psi.   

You said flex line, should be solid line from pump to carb. Maybe piece of your flex line broke off and went in carb. Not seen QF myself but a number of guys here are using them and I believe most str
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1981 - SN Owned 33 years - Sold
1968 - Mustang - Sold

MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2018 at 9:58pm
Got kicked off somehow.   QF carbs right out of box without issues.   Check carb base gasket for tears and adapter plate it sits on. Some types gaskets don’t seal well.   I’d also verify you are getting full throttle cable stroke at carb without it running.   You could verify secondaries are fully opening but I think something else is going on before you get to this point.

Last thing idle should be 650-700 rpm in gear
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1968 - Mustang - Sold

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2018 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by MACS81SN MACS81SN wrote:

Sounds like you put point style distributor in?   If so I’d check advance springs intact, firing order correct.   They will run with certain combination of wires being wrong just not very well. Recheck dwell and timing to verify nothing has changed. Check fuel pressure desired is 5-7 psi.   

You said flex line, should be solid line from pump to carb. Maybe piece of your flex line broke off and went in carb. Not seen QF myself but a number of guys here are using them and I believe most str

Flexible hose from the fuel pump to the carburetor is OK as long as it meets USCG regs.

There are numerous threads here on CCF about that
Stevo89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2018 at 7:43am
The boat has an electronic ignition in it sorry if I forgot to mention that. And the flex line is uscg approved it’s the 25” flex line that other qf users have recommended from skidim I will check the throttle cable and for any leaks around the base plate also will take the hose off and make sure nothing is instructing flow
Stevo89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 12:14pm
Thinking my throttle linkage was out of adjustment gunna take her out today and see what happens
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 12:33pm
Let us know how it goes.
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1968 - Mustang - Sold

tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Stevo89 Stevo89 wrote:

Thinking my throttle linkage was out of adjustment gunna take her out today and see what happens

My first thought; cable needs to be checked for full close and full open of throttle. You can do that yourself by closing all the way and opening all the way while observing the throttle plate position. Easy fix. Sounds like throttle s fully open before you have full throttle position at the lever. You’ve got this!
Stevo89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2018 at 1:03pm
Thanks again for all of the feed back I’m hopeing that’s all it was I’ll forsure repost this evening when I get her on the water 🤞
Stevo89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2018 at 8:18am
Well I believe the throttle was the problem had to adjust the carb a little after moving the throttle it kept wanting to pop and bog on launch but I think I got it pretty good now thanks everyone for the input and help
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic