Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

smoke from the exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ski bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: smoke from the exhaust
    Posted: June-10-2018 at 11:13pm
Hello from a newby to the CorrectCraft forum. We have a 2005 Ski Nautique 205, purchased new in 2005 and approximately 200 hours. We launched it for the first time this season last weekend and as my wife was driving it to our pier it began smoking very badly. First time we have ever had problems. It has always been serviced by Nautique dealer. Water temp was extremely high when she got to our pier and I immediately turned motor off.   Checked the oil level while it was on the boat lift and it showed none, but, now that i think of it, it may have not been sitting perfectly level on lift, so that could have been reason for no oil on stick, or..................dealer forgot to re-fill after draining? First thought it may have been fogging oil (from winterization), but that would not produce the amount of smoke or the high temperature. Anyone have any thoughts?
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2018 at 11:39pm
Hi Gary and welcome to the forum!   Let's see some pics when you get a chance

But first, what did the smoke look like - i.e. was it really white or with a blue-ish tint? I wouldn't think it would be fogging oil because while it can be fairly thick at first, it dissipates fairly quickly and wouldn't cause any temp issues.   
Second, the stick should have shown something .... the boat would have had to been at a heck of an angle not to register anything but still be within acceptable range. However, if the smoke is oil, then it's getting into the cylinder (s) somehow which could be several issues. While dealer could have shorted the fill or forgot it all together, this in and of itself wouldn't cause the smoking. If they forgot to fill it though, you'd have notice within 60 seconds after starting the engine, seeing as how there would be no lubrication for anything. The high water temp is no doubt caused by high heat which in turn was likely cause by lack of lubrication. Maybe start by pulling the plugs to see if their color/ condition. If you have a compression gauge, I'd check all the cylinders as well. If it was very hot for a while you may have some ring/ valve damage after the fact even if there was still a bit of oil in there.
Also, check your raw water pump to be sure there isn't a problem with the impeller. Again this wouldn't cause an oil burning issue directly, but it could lead to super high temps that could then lead to cylinder scoring, etc.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 7:56am
Smoking from burning rubber exhaust hose? Did the smoke smell like burning rubber? Was the boat run without cooling water for even a short time before it went in the lake? If so, it could have blown the RWP (raw water pump) rubber impeller.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ski bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 12:18pm
Thank you for your replies. The boat is at our lake cottage and will be back up this weekend to investigate further. The smoke was more of a white smoke and my first thought was fogging oil, but then I realized that if it were fogging oil it would have dissipated in a matter of a couple minutes. The rubber boots coming from the exhaust manifold were extremely hot, which leads me to believe now that it was water/cooling related. Will keep you posted.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by ski bum ski bum wrote:

The smoke was more of a white smoke The rubber boots coming from the exhaust manifold were extremely hot, which leads me to believe now that it was water/cooling related.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Was the boat run without cooling water for even a short time before it went in the lake? If so, it could have blown the RWP (raw water pump) rubber impeller.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 3:40pm
Most likely your impeller went bad or someone closed the thru hull valve for the raw water supply. Get a new impeller as you most likely need a new one, check/replace as needed, Check/fill the oil, ensure thru water valve open, fire up and watch strainer for water flow, look for leaks/melted hoses, drain plugs missing, etc. Hopefully nothing got cooked and you should be OK.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 3:49pm
If your impeller came apart then you need to fish out all the pieces. Some possibly in thermostat housing.   
ski bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 7:12pm
Thank you. I have a call into our boat person.
ski bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 7:16pm
Thanks, it is beginning to look like a water/cooling issue, as the posts come in and as i have investigated further. As someone posted earlier, the rubber impeller and or the overheated hoses could have been the cause of the smoke.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 7:39pm

Gary,
If this is the person who winterizes your boat, ask him if he closes the thru hull valve that CQ mentioned.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Most likely your impeller went bad or someone closed the thru hull valve for the raw water supply. Get a new impeller as you most likely need a new one, check/replace as needed, Check/fill the oil, ensure thru water valve open, fire up and watch strainer for water flow, look for leaks/melted hoses, drain plugs missing, etc. Hopefully nothing got cooked and you should be OK.

Kinda looks like my stupid post a couple of years ago about having a water pressure gauge is not so stupid now. Lose of water pressure is the FIRST thing that indicates disaster. Nearly all bass boats have them. Yes, I realize they are outboards but a toasted engine is still expensive inboard or outboard.   
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 8:36pm
Hate to be the guy bucking the trend, but all that speculation about the impeller - whether it turns out to be toast or not - still doesn't explain the 'no oil' in the oil pan. I've had a toasted impeller that caused an overheat issue and I've got some friends that have had the same and while they can get hot enough to melt hoses, rubber & the like, I have yet to hear of one that will start burning away the oil, especially to the point of draining the pan.   I'm still thinking there has to be more to the solution than an impeller or closed valve.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 9:35pm
Learn to trust no one!!!   I always check fluid levels on everything , whether it is a new truck car lawnmower or anything with an engine.
Remember in training for my pilots license we were getting ready to go on an early morning long cross country. When I got to the plane my primary instructor was already strapped in and hollered at me as I started my preflight walk around "I already checked everything, get in we need to go". Well I continued my preflight and then got in the plane and he said " you don't trust me do you?". My response was "I don't trust myself let alone you". He grinned and replied "You passed the test this morning, trust NO ONE"
Check everything on your boat everyday. Then you know you are OK to go.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 10:19pm
If it was the raw water impeller failing the lack of cooling water in the exhaust will cause the exhaust tubes to collapse. This is a design feature to shut the boat down in a overheat situation. Once they collapse they are toast and need to be replaced.   I hope yours are OK as they are expensive hoses.   Hope the engine is OK.
White smoke is normally steam.   If it runs with no oil the engine starts making very bad sounds very quickly. Rattles, then tapping then knocking. All very bad noises from an engine.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

If it runs with no oil the engine starts making very bad sounds very quickly. Rattles, then tapping then knocking. All very bad noises from an engine.

Yea, but the noises don't last very long.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 11:52pm
Fresh oil can be hard to see on the dipstick, but of course check it again when you're calm and nothing is going wrong...
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2018 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Fresh oil can be hard to see on the dipstick, but of course check it again when you're calm and nothing is going wrong...

Good point .... been there myself, and fairly recently too
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2018 at 12:27pm
What boats have the "thru hull valve" mentioned above?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2018 at 10:31am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Gary,
If this is the person who winterizes your boat, ask him if he closes the thru hull valve that CQ mentioned.

Gary,
What did he say?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2018 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Kinda looks like my stupid post a couple of years ago about having a water pressure gauge is not so stupid now. Lose of water pressure is the FIRST thing that indicates disaster. Nearly all bass boats have them. Yes, I realize they are outboards but a toasted engine is still expensive inboard or outboard.    [IMG]smileys/smiley5.gif" align="middle[/IMabout G]

I've thought installing a water pressure gauge as Duane mentioned. I had one in my old outboard barefoot style boat and it was very useful.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
ski bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2018 at 11:41am
We did find out that the valve was closed and have replaced the impeller and exhaust boots. Lessons learned.
ski bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2018 at 11:48am
I think a water pressure gauge would, in fact, be one more means of assessing the normal operation of all systems. The more important thing learned from all of this, as was posted earlier, is to put a complete checklist in place, and visible on the boat at all times.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2018 at 12:07pm
A temperate gauge will, in fact, avoid severe overheats as you experienced.

The problem with gauges is someone has to look at them once and a while.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2018 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

A temperate gauge will, in fact, avoid severe overheats as you experienced.

The problem with gauges is someone has to look at them once and a while.

The same would be true for a pressure gauge.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic