Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Excel/Barefoot 454 oil pressure drops after 4k RPM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Excel/Barefoot 454 oil pressure drops after 4k RPM

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
dave12gauge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave12gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2018 at 12:31pm
I can't tell if the picture is from a BBC, but if yours has something similar maybe thats my problem. Engine builder did say he put restrictors so there wouldn't be too much oil going to the top of the motor. I don't think mine has a baffle. In your opinion, with flat water and the motor not bouncing around, do you think my oil is going to the back of the boat, which would be the front of the motor where the pan is skinny? (Vee Drive, motor sits backwards in the boat). Oil pickup is in the bow of the boat, which is the back of the motor. I would think that with smooth water there should be plenty of oil getting to the sump. It would be like a cup of water in your car, its not sloshing around as long as you drive smooth. Rough water, I'm sure the baffle is necessary.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2018 at 12:54pm
I very much doubt you have a windage/baffle problem. Now that you mention he put restrictors on, I think basic oil flow may be the problem. As far as I know, stock 454's don't have oiling problems, nothing really needs to be fixed. In your case he added a high volume oil pump, and now we know he added restrictors. IMO it's 2 steps that were not necessary, now fighting each other, and who knows where the oil is and where it's staying. And, the pickup clearance I don't think was ever confirmed.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2018 at 1:39pm
Here's the thread the picture came from

Like 63 Skier I'd be somewhat curious about those restrictors they threw in there but if they're restricting oil to the top of the engine. It doesn't seem like that would be your problem but who knows..

thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic