NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

mold spots on vinyl seats

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
logicsound View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mold spots on vinyl seats
    Posted: July-26-2006 at 10:35pm
ok, so i searched the forums and found the one about cleaning vinyl with simple green, magic eraser, and such, but none of these work at all for me, I just bought a 86 martinique and it was left outside and there are little black mold spots on all the vinyl. I searched the internet and there seems to be 3 main players Starbrite,meguires,and 3m. Anybody try these or had a similar experience with mold not coming out.

Thanks in Advance
Trev
coreytread View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreytread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 11:13pm
I fits real bad and nothing works a very small amount of bleach will get it but it will not help the life span of vinyl. I have used it before and my seats did crack after a few summers quicker than they should have. you might just try it and see. My upholstery guy told me to use the mcguires stuff and said never use the bleach again.
rmcdonald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2006 at 5:37am
Hi Trev
I don't know if it will get it out but.

I just had all my seats Upholstered.

I asked him about how to care for my nice new off-white seats.
(The first thing he said was not to sit on the seats with a screwdriver in your back pocket)

The Upholsterer said to use Mineral Turps on a rag to clean the vinyl seats.

He said that allot off the commercial cleaners available get the vinyl clean but they also pull the oil out of the viny and hence the eventually crack.

The Upholsterer said Mineral Turps puts oil back into the vinyl.

So if nothing gets the mold out you could use the bleach like Corey says and then rub it with a rag with turps so that the vinyl does not dry out.

I have used turps on my seats, but if you try it would test it on an inconspicuous spot first

Regards
Rob

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2006 at 8:20am
Thanks, I have to go to boatersworld this afternoon so I will pick up some of the mcguires and if that does not work I will try the bleach and mineral turps. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks
Trev
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2006 at 11:48am
Dilute the bleach 1:10 parts water. Spray on; wipe off after a minute. Then use some conditioner.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2006 at 5:26pm
I've got the same problem.
I didn't uncover the boat last year and I now have a mess on my hands!
Getting ready to try this homebrew:
1 tsp ammonia
1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
3/4 cup distilled water
It's supposed to work great.
I'll let ya know.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2006 at 5:33pm
Ya let me know. Because I just tryed all the above included straight bleach and I still have the spots. The bleach sort of worked but I had to use alot and scrub real hard and the spot is still there its just a lot lighter. ( I hope your home remedy works because it would take me weeks to do this with bleach.) Let me know

Thanks
Trev
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2006 at 6:36pm
Those little black mold spots is mildew, and Armour-All vinyl treatment type products can help it grow.
Tim D
Poster112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poster112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2006 at 9:11pm
Gotta get rid of the spores where they are attached, don't just try to kill 'em.
Use one of those "magic eraser" sponges (5 bucks for 3 or 4 of them)with plain old H2O to rub the spores off. Then, if it makes you feel better, use any type of vinyl conditioner product like armor-all.
Man, those magic erasers are unbelievable. I've used them for mildew (never came back) and I got rid of rub marks on decals, rub rails (from white bumpers), and rub marks on hull from trailer guide rails. Don't know exactly how they work, but they left the shine intact on my '79 after rubbing fairly vigorously to get the trailer guide marks off of the hull.
I'd rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal-lobotomy.

1985 Ski

1984 SW
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2006 at 10:38am
nope....there was no magic in the eraser's for me.. Just tried them, they did not do anything, I guess Im just screwed. Looks like I am going to have to get new vinyl
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2006 at 10:42am
have you tried starbright yinyl cleaner? or castrol super clean? i have had luck cleaning stuff with both of those. maybe use them with a magic eraser. i would try and not let it get on the st*tching.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2006 at 11:42am
ya i have tried both, it is really wierd because they don't even work on some of the spots, they do nothing at all. I just spent about a hour using straight bleach and it seemed to work a little bit, it got rid of some and lighted the rest of them. I then applied vinyl conditioner, so maybe I try bleach again next week, oh well I going on the lake.. Thanks for all the ideas ....

Trev
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2006 at 7:52pm
This is the best seat cleaner I have ever used. I have tried them all and this by far works the best

http://vinylvictory.com/

cheers
fredo68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredo68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 11:29am
ENGINE DEGREASER
fredo68
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 4:03pm
Try diluting the bleach 1:10 with water. The water will help the bleach get into the material where the cells are. If that doesn't work, a solution of boric acid. It will break down the mold cell walls.
Lastly, you may need a solvent that is simulair to the mold products. Try rubbing alcohol first. If that doen't work try some turpentine.
Use all of these sparingly and rine well with water and condition the vinyl afterwards.
Engine degreaser will get rid of the mold stain but it will also get rid of the vinyl!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 4:40pm
How about Gojo hand cleaner along with the Magic Eraser.
jholton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jholton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2006 at 7:38pm
I see every cleaner posted but one! I don't know if it will work for you but whenever I have to scrub mold or a stain I have used Scrubbing Bubbles and Soft Scrub bathroom cleaners and then condition the vinyl afterwards.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2006 at 4:02pm
I also like the Scrubbing Bubbles.I've seen this problem and think the high pressure car wash is prob about as good as your gonna get.

Scrubbing Bubbles is the cleaner recommended by
Cobalt everything else will void your warranty
so it must be fairly safe and easy on upholstery

Munday
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 12:50pm
I've always been a big fan of soft scrub. Light bleach, hopefully not enough to hurt vinyl. Tough spots, I smear it on and let it set a few hours. Lightly scrub with one of those sponges with the scrubby backs. I've gotten out just about everything mother nature can dish out with the stuff.
tjlake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjlake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 3:34pm
once you get them clean and conditioned try this: After I let my boats air dry and before putting the covers on, I put about 1/2 cup of diluted bleach and water (1/2 and 1/2) in a plastic cup. Put the plastic cup in a cup holder and cover the boat. It has significantly cut down on my problem. Just don't forget to remove the cup before moving the boat..that can get ugly..
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2006 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by tjlake tjlake wrote:

once you get them clean and conditioned try this: After I let my boats air dry and before putting the covers on, I put about 1/2 cup of diluted bleach and water (1/2 and 1/2) in a plastic cup. Put the plastic cup in a cup holder and cover the boat. It has significantly cut down on my problem. Just don't forget to remove the cup before moving the boat..that can get ugly..

Good idea!
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2006 at 1:53pm
victory vinyl is a good product for your interior mold problem,you can find it online.
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
Fattire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fattire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2006 at 12:55am
Just spent all weekend cleaning our first used boat. Stiff brush, bucket of clean H2O,plenty of towels & "AMAZING ROLL OFF"! I have been using it for years in the Auto industry. It was created to wash compet*tion Sailboat sails without harming them or the environment. A little bit of H2O to activate it. Scrubb in gentle circles w/hardly any pressure & watch the dirt,mold,grease pool up. Wipe w/a clean rag & keep going till it meets your expectations. Will clean almost anything.Tried the simple green,did ok but won't make it the eye popping clean you are looking for. Follow up with "303 Aerospace protectant"(32oz for $20 but worth every penny).
Fattire
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2006 at 12:44pm
The trick to dealing with mildew is to prevent it from forming in the first place..I know, this thread addresses hot to remove it, but I thought I would suggest how to prevent it.
Get a good cover that breathes, or has vents in it at the least. Don't use covers that trap in the moisture, like a plastic tarp! Be very carefull when/if shrink wrapping for the winter (northerners).
Covers can be expensive, but a good cover is a worthwhile investment!
-Brad
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic