Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel fender carpeting tips?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
shouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel fender carpeting tips?
    Posted: May-26-2018 at 2:13am
I did the bunks and wheel fenders today. Everything went smoothly except the fender.s
They really started to piss me off. Dorsey used really thin plywood (about 3/8) and with carriage bolts. I followed suit.

Cut the wood template. Drill the holes. Pound the bolts in some so they would catch. Leave the bolts in while carpeting the wood template. Go to mount on trailer and I usually would have at least one carriage bolt that wouldn't catch and would just leave me spinning. Repeat 4 times until i finally gave up one side.

So the question is, is there a better method? Maybe I just suck at using carriage bolts. Definitely not a bolt I have much experience with, but it doesn't seem overly complicated.. The only fail on my part is that I picked up nylon locking nuts and it might provide a little bit too much resistance for the bolt to stay tight w/o causing stripping. Regardless, i think it's a crappy method. Just can't think of a better way presently   

Just an example of what i'm referring to.

MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2018 at 8:51am
My ideas are using loc-tite rather than nylon nuts or use t-nuts. Just have to find a 3/8” bolt and use some Loc-tite so they don’t back out.
'92 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2018 at 9:13am
Yes, I agree on the T nuts and no on the nylon locking nuts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2018 at 10:43am
Peter,
I just noticed that the link Brent provided is for a 3/8" T nut. The 3/8 will certainly work but is way larger than needed to hold the skirts on. 1/4" would be my choice and in stainless. Also you need to be concerned with the length/height of the nut since you are using 3/8 ply.

Yes, carriage bolts can be a real PITA especially when you need to remove them and the bolt just spins.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2018 at 12:09pm
Ah, never really seen a T-nut like that before. That looks like it would work nicely. Agreed, hopefully I can find something smaller than 3/8.

Would it make sense to step up to some thicker board, maybe 1/2"? The last stuff they used (and what I replicated) was just a rotten mess by the time i got to it. Came off in pieces and I had to cut every bolt off.

Thanks for the recommendation, I"ll give this a try.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic