NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HIN's in Wisconsin

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HIN's in Wisconsin
    Posted: May-25-2018 at 10:58am
I renewed two of my boat registrations in Wisconsin this year. One of them was the Atom. Along with the renewal came a notice that the state now requires pre HIN hulls to be identified with a state issued HIN number. Here's the problem: They want the HIN to be "carved, burned, stamped, embossed" in the wood transom of the Atom!! I think I'll be waiting to be "pulled over" by the DNR!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2018 at 12:28pm
Give them hell Pete. They will have to catch you first. They will be pretty busy anyway that one day the ice is out. In all seriousness what is the problem anyway ? A lot of crime being committed with or against old boats? is this a solution to a non existent problem? In all my boating adventures I have only been talked to once and that was here at home the first year we had to have the fox river waterway stickers. In passing the sheriff yelled over - get your sticker. In Florida law enforcement is everywhere- Coast Guard, DEA,Immigration,Florida Wildlife and they are always catching people.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2018 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

In all seriousness what is the problem anyway ? A lot of crime being committed with or against old boats? is this a solution to a non existent problem? .

Gary,
There is a statement in the notice that the purpose of the number is to "help" prevent theft. I have never heard of any classic or antique boat being stolen.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2018 at 6:49pm
Does this notice say that the number has to be on the outside of the transom?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2018 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Does this notice say that the number has to be on the outside of the transom?

Ken,
Yes it does. There are alternates say for catamarans or vessels without transoms. Then the number must be on the outside of the starboard hull within 1 foot of the stern and within 2 inches of the gunwale. Then there's the duplicate number requirement which is on an unexposed location on the interior or under a fitting or a piece of hardware.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2018 at 10:45am
Go down with guns blazing!!
And don't forget to post the pictures!
Js
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2018 at 11:29am
I decided to "sort of" comply. I'm having a 1/2" X 2&1/2" brass plate engraved with the HIN. I'll screw it just below the original CC ID plate which is on a port side hull side frame next to the forward cockpit. If I do get pulled over, and they don't like it then yes, the guns come out.

Next year I believe the renewal for the X55 is due so I'll be going through it again!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2018 at 1:20pm
Not the greatest picture but this is what the DNR is getting for their HIN: It's the small brass plate below the original

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2018 at 12:10pm
Looks great but no longer original.
You will now have to show in the ABS Heavily Modified Class.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2018 at 12:27pm
Must be a lot of vintage boat theft in Wisconsin eh Don? I doubt the government would start a program for a problem that does not exist, or unless a legislator had their's stolen
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2018 at 1:17pm
With the amount he uses his boats I don't see getting pulled over as high risk
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2018 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

With the amount he uses his boats I don't see getting pulled over as high risk

Kevin,
You seem to forget that I've moved here permanently. The Tique is on the lift and the X and the Atom are hanging in the boat house. However, you do have a point and that is my time is divided up between 3 boats and only two of them come under the new HIN regulation.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2018 at 1:51pm
I'd deduct points for non original materials and incorrect hardware
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2018 at 2:53pm
I think we need to talk corrosion between the fasteners and the plate.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2018 at 3:52pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic