Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Nautique Y-pipe exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
MNLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2018 at 10:28am
Throttle out- anyway you could post a pic? I have an 89 as well and am about to do the same and just want to make sure I route everything correctly. Many thanks!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2018 at 10:50am
Erik,
I did some searching and found this picture. I'm sure there are other examples posted.

Originally posted by 70CC 70CC wrote:

Here's what it looks like. Pretty clean and simple install.

I zip tied one of the rubber pads from the old muffler around the Y pipe to make sure it can't rub on the hull.

Once I got this done, I noticed trans fluid in the bilge - always something! Since I had the floor and doghouse out, it was easy to figure out the source of the leak - a bad trans cooling line - got that fixed and I'm back on the water.

Skiing behind the boat, I notice it is a bit louder but not offensive. Makes it seem like I'm going a few MPH faster!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Goldcup101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldcup101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2018 at 11:12am
I restored a bubbleback last year. It came from the PO with the Y-pipe which I've left as is. I would have bought a new hullhugger muffler until I saw the price! Noise doesn't seem too bad to me but I never heard it with a muffler.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2018 at 11:26am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2018 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by MNLakeSkier MNLakeSkier wrote:

Throttle out- anyway you could post a pic? I have an 89 as well and am about to do the same and just want to make sure I route everything correctly. Many thanks!

I did a muffler delete on our '89 about a year ago. My son uses it so I hadn't driven it until last weekend. I really like the way it sounds. Not too loud, slight drone while cruising but not bad and sounds great wide open. For some reason the '89 was much quieter than the '92. They both have the same muffler except the '89 has smaller diameter risers and less HP.   I like the way the '92 sounds so I wouldn't delete the muffler but I'm glad I did it on the '89. The only issue I had was getting the muffler tubing to bend downward after the risers. It may have been the type of tubing I used. I can take some pictures but it will be a few weeks.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2018 at 1:37am
I should finally have my engine by the end of the week next week (of course .... now that I'm swamped with work) and hopefully be able to get everything prepped and in the boat over the weekend. The exhaust will be close to the last part of the install, but I will definitely post some pics of the process then.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2018 at 8:51am
I don't have any photos of my boat but it looks identical to this.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
mspalatro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mspalatro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2019 at 12:37am
I am looking to get rid of my inverta flo on my 1990 Nautique. Is there much of a performance gain to go straight dual vs y pipe?? I can see straight dual is a much bigger project.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2019 at 10:48am
Originally posted by mspalatro mspalatro wrote:

I am looking to get rid of my inverta flo on my 1990 Nautique. Is there much of a performance gain to go straight dual vs y pipe?? I can see straight dual is a much bigger project.

It will sound different, but it is very unlikely there would be any performance gain from going to straight duals with anything near a stock engine. Mostly likely you would see no difference, slight chance the duals would be slightly slower.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2019 at 9:29pm
What Joe said. Sound would be a bit different - not really better, just different - with duals. Did mine last year with no mufflers and Y-pipe into the one 4" outlet and IMO it sounds awesome. If there were any performance gains to be had it would likely only be with a highly modified engine that is going to require a lot more flow than a single 4" will allow. A stock, standard 240 (260) hp 351 would not require 2 - 3" outlets and in fact as Joe pointed out, this could be a detriment. Couple this with the HUGE pia it would be to run duals in our era of boat. I'd stay with the single 4".
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
mspalatro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mspalatro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2019 at 11:42pm
The engine does have cam that is supposed to bring it up to 300hp. Everything else is stock.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2019 at 9:17pm

The engine does have cam that is supposed to bring it up to 300hp. Everything else is stock.

I'm running the Y-pipe system in mine with a modified GT-40 that is likely sitting at about 340-350 hp .... not thinking I need any more exhaust than I have with just the single 4" through the back. If she was supercharged as well then I'd be needing more - but that puts it well over 500hp. You have to remember that our boats are more or less straight pipes from the manifolds after eliminating the invertaflo - few bends and all very gradual, none sharp.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
mspalatro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mspalatro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2019 at 10:58pm
I am going to with Y conversion. Looking through some old threads I saw there was a boat dr that sold the conversion kits. I checked his website and I don’t think he is still in business. Do you have any online recommendations to buy parts?? Also for the install, was there anything you had to take into consideration like the placement of the Y fitting?? And did you run hose right from Y to manifold or did you use additional fittings for bends??
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2019 at 11:02pm
Check the other thread Michael - I have links there and some photos. No other fittings, just straight from the manifolds to the Y and the Y straight into the 4" hose to the exit.    Do you have the 3" or the 3.5" exhaust risers?
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2019 at 11:04pm

Don’t know who sold you the cam, but you’re not going to get 40 extra ponies from just a cam, with stock heads and intake.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic