Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Proper Prop Fit

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proper Prop Fit
    Posted: May-08-2018 at 6:21pm
I just installed my acme 422 prop, I did the lapping exercise, and i put on the crown nut and tightened it. It seems as if the nut has run out of threads and i have a very small wiggle when I put my hands on it and spin it. The cotter pin is almost at the top of the crown nut to. Is there supposed to be a washer between the crown nut and the prop? I bought this used and it did not have one.

I would appreciate any help on this, as I am afraid to run it!

Thanks!
Otto
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 6:32pm
I have seen where a washer is needed. There's no problem using one.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 6:34pm
What size washer should I use? Stainless of course....any idea on thickness? Do you think I can find at home depot?

Thank you!

Otto
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Otto Throttle Otto Throttle wrote:

What size washer should I use? Stainless of course....any idea on thickness? Do you think I can find at home depot?

Thank you!

You'll need a washer for a 3/4"bolt. Careful with the OD since you don't want it larger than the hub of the prop. A SS 3/4" SAE. washer is 1.5" OD. I doubt HD will have it but a good hardware store with all the little bin boxes may. I've also used brass thrust washers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 8:27pm
What exactly do I need size wise, and where can I get what I need please...now i am nervous that I won't be able to find anything! I am taking the nut to the store too see what I can find. I hope I didn't mess anything up :(

Thanks for your help!
Otto
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 8:50pm
Go and ask for ether a SS or brass 3/4" washer. The thickness doesn't matter.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 9:14pm

What exactly do I need size wise, and where can I get what I need please...now i am nervous that I won't be able to find anything! I am taking the nut to the store too see what I can find. I hope I didn't mess anything up :(

Thanks for your help!

What you need is a ruler

Measure your hub.

Pete's already told you a 3/4 id and the OD no bigger than the hub on your prop and any thickness. You're the only one who knows how much of a gap you're dealing with.

Look for a machinery bushing washer or thrust washer

3/4 by 1/1/4 will work, like he said a good hardware store will have them

Here's a link to one so you know what to look for.
link
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 9:43pm
here's a SS retainer washer in the link

A lot cheaper too

Stuff is out there, you just have to find it.

link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2018 at 12:13am
Thank you guys! I will be searching for these on Thursday!   Wish me luck! Do you think a hardware store or West Marine? Also I would like to get a new Castle Nut. What size and thread do I need to get and can you suggest a supplier? I want to have a spare too!

Thanks again...I have only driven my boat 3 time and I just want to do everything perfect!

Chris
Otto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2018 at 12:16am
I don't have a gap per se, it just needs a millimeter or two to be able to tighten! The thinnest I can get would be perfect!

Thanks
Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2018 at 12:30am

Thank you guys! I will be searching for these on Thursday!   Wish me luck! Do you think a hardware store or West Marine? Also I would like to get a new Castle Nut. What size and thread do I need to get and can you suggest a supplier? I want to have a spare too!

Thanks again...I have only driven my boat 3 time and I just want to do everything perfect!

Chris

Click on the link, you'll see nyloc and castellated

Both are 3/4-10 pitch, one is a lot cheaper than the other

link
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2018 at 1:44pm
https://www.mcmaster.com/#contact/=1crn3tx
McMaster-Carr is close to you and will have what you need
Click on contact and it has directions on how to get there
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2018 at 2:49pm
Otto,
Paul's suggestion for McMaster is a good but their OH. location doesn't stock as many items as their Il. warehouse. I'd check the inventory first before heading over there. Personally, I'd stop over at your local Ace first. They typically stock a selection of "oilite" bushings and thrust washers. You might have to go to their service desk and ask for them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 12:35am
‘Thank you everyone! Found the correct bronze thrust washer at Ace hardware for $1.49! You had to look, as it is not with the stainless washers though. I came home and the .125 was too thick to get the holes lined up, so I put a piece of 100 grit sand paper on the smooth floor and sanded it down a bit. It took about 6 or 7 try’s to get the proper fit but I did. It looks great...now I need a prop puller for the boat....I can’t pull the darn thing off! Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

Chris
Otto
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 1:16am
You just put it on, why take are you taking it off?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 6:57am
Chris,
Yes, a prop puller is needed. Sounds like you did a good job at lapping. Yes, as asked, why are you taking the prop off?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 10:19am
He must have of put on backwards and now the boat goes in reverse. Rookie mistake.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 1:29pm
Very Funny!! As a pilot I have a back up plan for most events...now I have a spare prop (the factory) and what if I need to use it because the new one gets damaged? With out the puller i think I am up the river with no paddle! It would go in my mobile maintenance kit!

From reading there are a bunch out there...I just need one that works on my Acme wheel!

Thanks guys...I will be glad when the prop issue is completed...maybe thats why I like jets!

Chris
Otto
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2018 at 1:10am
Acme makes a "C" style puller for use with their props - this is what I have. But some will tell you there are other designs that work better with less stress on the prop & shaft. IDK, the Acme worked very well for me without a ton of stress on either, but everyone has an opinion. Here is a couple of styles:

C clamp style

Knocker style

There are others also, including some home-grown garage specials some of the forum guys cooked up.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic