Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor replacement rh 351w

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tx84nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tx84nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor replacement rh 351w
    Posted: May-07-2018 at 3:03pm
I am looking for advice on the best option for replacement of the original and worn out distributor set-up on my 1984 Ski Nautique 2001 w/ 351w right hand rotation. The PCM # is PRD WR R10.

Thanks.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2018 at 3:55pm
Here's a link to a thread with distributor info

There are choices but not a lot for Reverse Rotation 351w's

link
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2018 at 4:33pm
John,
What's worn out? The bushings? Consider rebuilding it. If you don't want to mess with it, there are shops that do rebuilds.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2018 at 5:53pm
Not worth sending to someone to rebuild Pete. There are nos Prestolite ones on eBay for around 65 bucks
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2018 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Not worth sending to someone to rebuild Pete. There are nos Prestolite ones on eBay for around 65 bucks

Gary,
Good to know. Are they NOS? Then all that's probably needed is a gear change for the RR.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2018 at 6:46pm
Yes.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2018 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Good to know. Are they NOS? Then all that's probably needed is a gear change for the RR.

Do able gear swap but not really a plug and play type deal. You just need to be very careful on gear placement and drilling of the split pin hole. Easier on a milling machine.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2018 at 9:02pm
Here you go.

If you want plug and play you gotta pay.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 1:33am
My personal favorite:

DUI Link

SKU: M35820RRRD Category: Marine Distributors
(Yes, KENO this is for the RED distributor)

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
tx84nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tx84nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 3:53pm
Thanks.
I think i'm going to go w the DUI as well.
Did you run into any fit or install issues?

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by tx84nautique tx84nautique wrote:

Thanks.
I think i'm going to go w the DUI as well.
Did you run into any fit or install issues?

Most don't have issues, it's a real tight fit for everyone though.

A few people have had fit problems like the one in the link for mysterious reasons

link
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2018 at 10:43pm
I ordered my DUI distributor from Summit Racing. The first one was very slightly bent. When I installed the unit, it would "walk" back-and-forth ever so slightly. I pulled it off and got a new one from Summit. Installation was very easy. If you have the factory OEM intake manifold, there should be no fitment issues. Some intake manifolds may require the use of a shim washer. You don't want the distributor to be "bottomed out" against the cam shaft gear.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2018 at 12:20am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

. Some intake manifolds may require the use of a shim washer. You don't want the distributor to be "bottomed out" against the cam shaft gear.

JQ

You're mixing up your engines JQ.

A Ford 351 distributor doesn't mount in or through the manifold .It goes into the block and doesn't use a spacer like a Chevy does to set gear height. You have to move the gear, at least that's the right way for a 351

The link in my previous post was about fitment issues with the stock manifold. The issue is clearance with the thermostat housing and the hose to the left exhaust manifold.

Why some people have a problem is let's say .................a mystery
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2018 at 12:43am
You're right, KENO. My bad. I had GM small-block on the brain. My little 351W is the first "blue oval" I've worked on in a long time...

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic