Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

84 SN 2001 - Floor structural question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
babybooey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babybooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 84 SN 2001 - Floor structural question
    Posted: May-01-2018 at 6:44am
Does the floor provide the boat/hull with structural support. Would it be ill advised to remove the floor and then trailer it somewhere?

I'm curious because I was going to pull the floor since it has come apart from the side of the inner hull. I want to check the stringers and understand it is possible (likely?) they need to be done. If they need to be done I'll need to trailer it someplace to do it.

Can I remove the floor and then move it if required without causing stress to the hull? Are the stringers the only required structure in the boat to allow it to be trailered safely?

Thanks
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 7:35am
Bob,
I feel as long as the trailer is in good condition and preferably an original or similar with full bunk supports, you won't do any more damage. A hull typically sees more rough condition on the water than on a trailer. The sole (floor) separating at the hull sides is a typical indicator of bad stringers. When you open it up, post some pictures. How's the rest of the boat? Engine OK?

Welcome to CCfan.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
babybooey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babybooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 12:33pm
Engine seems OK. Starts up easy and idles very well. Have yet to do a compression test.

Hull needs some exterior touch ups. Lots of spiders.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 4:02pm
Floor is non structural
However it is composed of different materials depending on what part.   Sides are glass over foam.
rear between stringers is wood and removable. forward of engine is wood., under forward deck is glass and foam.

Most foam will be water soaked and there will be rotten wood to be found.   

Good luck with it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 5:41pm
The floor on a 2001 is most certainly structural. The hull/foam/stringers/floor sandwich is one heck of a lot stronger than the bare hull alone.

I wouldn’t be moving a boat around very far or fast with the floor and foam removed.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The floor on a 2001 is most certainly structural. The hull/foam/stringers/floor sandwich is one heck of a lot stronger than the bare hull alone.

I wouldn’t be moving a boat around very far or fast with the floor and foam removed.

Bob,
I certainly agree with Tim regarding it being structural but, that's a intact floor and stringers. From your description that the floor has separated from the hull sides indicates it's no longer serving the original purpose. Trailer away!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 6:24pm
Presumably the floor has not separated over the entire length of the boat (a 12” or so section in the front seat area where the floor and chine cross is typical) so that is an apples do oranges comparison Pete. Especially with the foam in place.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Presumably the floor has not separated over the entire length of the boat (a 12” or so section in the front seat area where the floor and chine cross is typical) so that is an apples do oranges comparison Pete. Especially with the foam in place.

Originally posted by babybooey babybooey wrote:

I was going to pull the floor since it has come apart from the side of the inner hull. Thanks

Seems like "presumably" is a key word since Cy didn't state any length!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 6:50pm
I've trailered a 2001 with stringers and no floor, no problems.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I've trailered a 2001 with stringers and no floor, no problems.

Yea, but you have some uh, unorthodox trailering techniques   

babybooey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babybooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 11:30pm

Main stringer covering cracking?

I am unclear on where the secondary stringers are, but if they are the ones to the left of the exhaust here they're clearly shot.

babybooey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babybooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 11:38pm
Main stringers at rear seem fully covered, but who knows what lies beneath:

Most of the floor was separated from the hull sides:

Bad in some spots (yes, I was a hand model for a while):

More badness:
babybooey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babybooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 11:42pm
Had a helper too:

Had 3 generations working on it today. Old man was working on the trailer lights while I supervised him and the boy.
babybooey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babybooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 11:59am
Was browsing some of the newer posts and the pics and loving it. Prompted me to provide and update and some pics.

Found a guy to re-do stringers, transom and floor plus carpet. While it was in there I rebuilt the seats then sent them for upholstery:

Had a broken cover ring welded:

Then rebuilt the covers:

The swim platform had screw heads slightly protruding through the top, so I dremelled them down:

babybooey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babybooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 12:08pm
Delegated the cleaning and oiling of the swim platform:

Prop repaired:

My boat guy got it back to me just in time to get ready for vacation.

Some late night work including lubricant:

Got seats back:

Installed engine cover, seats, etc, etc...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 12:17pm
Looking fantastic. Any pictures of the stringer job?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
babybooey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babybooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 12:20pm
Driver's seat came late, but its in now:

Working on reupholstering the arm rests:

Refinishing throttle knob using methods found on CCFan and also working on the carpeted stop panels on the trailer.

Still lots to do:

- prop stuffing box is leaking more than appropriate, have to adjust/tighten
- transmission leak
- rear seats (didn't have any when I bought)
- re-carpet back vanity cover in front of gas tank
- clean/oil teak step panels
- reupholster engine cover
- hull/gel work
- tower

But will enjoy as-is for a while. Got it in the water for some fun:

babybooey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babybooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 12:23pm
I don't have many of when it was in the shop unfortunately, which I know is heart-wrenching for some here as those are considered the sexy shots. The place was 2hr away so I only stopped in once during the process and got limited shots.

babybooey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babybooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 12:25pm
I wish I got shots of the transom work they did. It was rather intricate as transom is not one solid piece. They had smaller pieces made to fit areas then glassed it all. May be able to sneak some pics with gas tank in, or I'll get shots if I remove the gas tank in the fall to flush.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic