NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new plugs and wires

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new plugs and wires
    Posted: April-27-2018 at 12:04pm
Hey guys

when I get my boat opened up and cleaned for the spring/summer, I want to go ahead and replace the spark plugs and plug wires this year. I don't know the age/condition of the current ones, as they were in it when I bought it. I've changed everything else now, so I want to just do the plugs and wires now, so I know the age/condition.

What plugs and wires do you suggest for my 1993 S.N. 351W engine.

Thanks
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 1:24pm
So..Nautique Parts has told me to go with: WL24 plugs gapped at .035 and from my own research in the manual it says to go with: AC Delco R42LTSM plugs gapped at .035" I can get the WL24's from Nautique Parts for about $29 for a set of 8. The R42LTSM sell on Amazon for $2 each.

Any opinions on one or the other?? Also, still wondering what to go with for plug wires. Thanks
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 2:09pm
Plug wires id go with cut to fit universal. I believe moroso makes some? Or maybe accel?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 2:32pm
I got NAPA premium wire set for a mid -80s F150 351. If you go this route take your longest wire in to make sure it's gonna work. I had to cut a couple of them back, but that was no big deal.

Autolite 24 is the OEM plug, they are available anywhere.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 3:47pm
You might want to read this old thread and see what really comes in those PCM spark plug packages.

The numbers in the thread may be different but the theme's the same.

You can buy the WL24 White Lake part number and you'll end up with Autolite 24's.

Maybe you'll feel really good that you bought Autolite plugs packaged as PCM parts at a highly inflated price or maybe you won't.

old thread
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 4:01pm
Your AC Delco R42LTSM plugs have a .708 inch reach and the Autolite 24's have a .460 inch reach.

You really should look and see what's in the boat now for plugs before getting the wrong ones.

What 351 engine do you have ? There were different versions in 93.

Different heads took different plugs.

For example the standard heads would take the Autolite 24 plugs and the GT 40 heads would take the longer reach your manual talks about. An Autolite 764 or 104 would be a good plug in that case.
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 4:44pm
Well, I was confused as what to get, so I just called N.P. and gave them my engines serial number, etc. Told them it didn't have the ProTec, etc. They said my engine was the 351w H.O. and I should get the WL764 plugs.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 6:19pm
Well......glad we got that straight.

Now you can get some Autolite 764's or pay more for the PCM packaging.

Autolite 104's are the full threaded version of the 764 and work the same as the 764's.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2018 at 1:51am
I'm feeling a strong sense of Deja Vu ... Have we been here before??

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2018 at 5:40pm
well got the plugs and plug wires all changed out. I went one wire at a time. one plug at a time, so I didn't get anything mixed up. Pretty straight forward.

The OLD plugs were Champion RS9YC   and the wires were yellow and said "PCM" so I am assume they had never been change. A couple spots on two of the yellow wires were taped up with electric tape, so glad I changed them all out.

Anyway, is there any maintenance or cleaning I should do on the Cap and rotor at all? Figured if there is, I may as well do it, while I am doing the rest.

Oh the old Champion plugs were gapped at .035 on my gap too so I gapped the Autolites at the same gap. Is that correct?

Thanks
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2018 at 12:11pm
Good morning Dan, good to have the ol' site back!   

Glad to see you've got the correct plugs, but the correct plug gap for all 351's is .045".   It would be good to download an owners manual and perhaps a service manual from the reference section ( tabs, above right )   They don't have every year or model, but you can probably get one that is close enough. Those will have all the vital specs for you like plugs & wires, fluids types & grades, etc.

Cap & rotor should be inspected for cracks or obvious wear at the contacts. Other than that, just clean them well and reinstall   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2018 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Glad to see you've got the correct plugs, but the correct plug gap for all 351's is .045".

Might be good to look at some 351 manuals yourself Joe

Depends on what 351 you're talking about.

Your GT-40 says .045"

He's got a manual already if you look back to his earlier posts and it tells him .035"

gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2018 at 12:26pm
Must be a year specific thing?   My manual for the 95' specifically states .045 for all 3 versions - 260hp, 285hp and the GT40.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2018 at 12:36pm
Depends on things like what the ignition system is

There are a whole big bunch of them that call for .035"

Just pointing out the all encompassing not exactly right statement you threw out there.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2018 at 1:11pm
Thought I'd double check my manual to make sure I had the correct one.   The 95' owners manual from the reference section on the site has a copy of the PCM manual attached toward the bottom - this is where I've been getting most of my info for my engine specs. Funny, in fine (and fuzzy) print at the bottom is has a printing date of 1997.   Guess that manual isn't for my 95' after all. After this posting issue, it makes me wonder if any of the specs changed between 95 and 97 .....
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2018 at 6:14pm
Well, I am just going off MY (1993 pcm) manual AND what Nautique Parts has told me, in regards to my engine serial number. MY manual says a .035 gap for a points engine and a .045 for the Protec system. With that said...the old original sparkplugs were Champion 9SRYC...and when I cross referenced them with Autolites..the 764's came up..so I gapped those at .035, like the Champions were, and what my manual said for a Points engine.   I started it up after I installed them here in the driveway to get the winter "cob webs" out..and she started right up on the first turn of the key. no pumping throttle, or anything. Purred like a kitten.

Couple pics of the OLD ( I think probably original) wires and plugs:

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2018 at 6:26pm
So what did you figure out Joe?

Maybe that your engine is .045' like you said and all the PCM's with electronic ignition standard had the same .045".

And then all those piles of breaker point 351's from PCM thru the years had a gap of .035".

Flyweed has a Reverse rotation 351 HO 285 HP with a distributor and carburetor.

I'd imagine he knows what the ignition system is and should be able to decide his gap from there.

Whatever manual he's looking at, it told him the right plugs and gave him a gap of .035'

Edit since Flyweed posted while I was typing this, it looks like his takes a gap of .035
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2018 at 6:50pm
You are indeed correct. Confirmed by my 1993 PCM manual AND Nautique Parts. AND the old Champion plugs from the engine. (actually there were about .037, I assume due to wear..but were no where near .040 or .045. So .035 is what I gapped the new ones at.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2018 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

So what did you figure out Joe?

Maybe that your engine is .045' like you said and all the PCM's with electronic ignition standard had the same .045".

95' owners manual from CCF reference section, page 97:

He says Nautique parts told him he had the HO, but it is not the ProTech so I would assume it is the 285hp carb version.   I guess my mistake was thinking the timing, plugs, plug gap and so forth wouldn't change from year to year, given the engine was basically the same configuration in 95'.   However, if you pull up this manual - from this site - you'll see that the ENGINE manual that is attached to the bottom of the 1995 PDF owners manual is not from 1995, it was printed in 1997. Perhaps in 97 they changed a few of these details or like you pointed out, they may have been using a different distributor/ ignition system by then.

Anyway, sounds like he's got the correct stuff and has it set correctly for his engine.   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2018 at 7:33pm
Joe,
I'm glad you figured it out plus I'm glad Ken found someone else to give a hard time to. It takes the heat off me!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2018 at 7:36pm
I'm here to help where I can Pete.       Though usually it's me that needs the help
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2018 at 7:59pm
Pete, you're always available for a hard time.

If the info was right, I wouldn't have had to give Joe a hard time

Joe Good job taking some heat for Pete
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2018 at 11:50pm
Well, I'm the last of 6 kids Ken    
The oldest two were 16 and 19 years older, then 9 and 12 years older - sort of used to it
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic