NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Composite Platform Repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Composite Platform Repair
    Posted: April-26-2018 at 10:12pm
A previous owner of my boat cut access holes in the platform (I assume to access the lifting rings).. Similar to the holes in the earlier plaforms.

Since the holes are a little ugly and the boat doesn't have covers to prevent CO2. I want to try and repair the holes. My idea is to fill the bulk of the hole with foam (need advice on what type) ad then glass and gel around the foam. My initial questions are..

What type of foam can I use?. What type adhesive can I use to keep the foam in place? Any other advice?
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 11:02pm
I started to look into this and now I am thinking that a mix and pour foam would be the best option. I could dig out some of the existing foam, tape off the bottom and edge of the platform and pour the foam in then cut the foam and cover in fiber and gel.
96 Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 7:17am
Great Stuff in the aerosol for the foam. It's a closed cell polyurethane just like the pour type but less expensive than the pure just because there's less of it but it's also more convenient. I'd do the glass work first but leave a small hole so you can use the straw on the aerosol to inject the foam. Then plug the hole after it cures.

Paul,
After filling in the access holes, how will you get to the lifting rings to lift the boat? Are the platform brackets QD?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 8:51am
Are you saying there is foam inside a cc composite platform? That would surprise me. Pics would be helpful.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Are you saying there is foam inside a cc composite platform? That would surprise me. Pics would be helpful.

what would you expect? it to be hollow?

I haven't taken a close look at the platform but there was some type of foam. Maybe it wasn't original and was added after the holes were made but it looked like standard sandwich composite construction.

I'll get some pics when I'm at the boat tomorrow.
96 Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 1:08pm
Wasn't there someone here who had a tree jump out of nowhere and viciously attack his platform? Maybe he could comment on whats inside
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 1:24pm
Solid glass wouldn’t surprise me- it’s not particularly thick. If cored, I would expect something stronger than foam.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Paul,
After filling in the access holes, how will you get to the lifting rings to lift the boat? Are the platform brackets QD?

Manual states you need to remove the platform. I don't plan to lift my boat, if I do then I can remove the platform as recommended by CC. I did consider adding cups like my older Nautiques had but I like to use the lifting rings while trailering.

I've also had my kids fall and poop (don't ask) into the cups when there were holes, so I am not a fan.

I have a FA Exhaust but would still prefer not to have open holes to let CO2 into the boat.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Are the platform brackets QD?

I believe it's release pins and then the platform can just be lifted out like my other boats. takes less then a minute to remove or put back.

96 Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2018 at 1:35am
Here are a couple pics of the platform.

Tim, You may be right. I thought the platform was foam filled but looking closer the foam may have been added after the hole was made. Can't see whats actually going on unless I dig what is there out.

This project will probably take a bit of a back seat as I deal with a couple other items that have come up. I'll probably save this for the winter as there aren't many days until we are mid boat season.

96 Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic