Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1985 2001 with 454 - dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
Author
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1985 2001 with 454 - dead
    Posted: April-26-2018 at 2:07pm
Hey guys! New here, from Denver.

Got an '85 2001 barefoot edition 454.

Nice boat, great shape, new vinyl.

Last night the boat died.    454, idling good, feels good sounds great. Idle thru no wake zone, give her 3/4 throttle, and she pulled hard for 3-4 seconds, then made an awful noise, and shut down. Checked all fluids, and coolant was all of a sudden empty, oil was very full (well over full) not milky but did appear to have some non-oil bubbles in it. I poured a gallon of distilled water into the heat exchanger, and then I found green coolant leaking into the bilge. Started couldn't turn over the engine, nor could I with a breaker bar.

Got her back to the dock, and took her home. It was too late last night to do much, but today I'll get in there and start troubleshooting today.

I assume hydro locked, and possible cracked head.

I'd love some advice.

I'll post in this thread as I make progress!

Here she is!

'85 2001 454
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 2:12pm
Pull the spark plugs and see what's inside
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 2:23pm
That's my plan when I get home this afternoon.

In a worst case scenario, would a 454 from an RV work? or would that just be a giant pain in the ass, and not really workable?
'85 2001 454
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 2:53pm
There is a heavily discussed big block thread in the last few months.   Engine rotation from the RV will be Left hand. Suspect you have right hand presently.   

Rebuild it if it isn't cracked. (oil level being high is a concern)

Oil being overfilled,   drain it out and see whats at the bottom of the pan.   Likely antifreeze and it did not have time to mix with oil yet.   
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

There is a heavily discussed big block thread in the last few months.   Engine rotation from the RV will be Left hand. Suspect you have right hand presently.   

Rebuild it if it isn't cracked. (oil level being high is a concern)

Oil being overfilled,   drain it out and see whats at the bottom of the pan.   Likely antifreeze and it did not have time to mix with oil yet.   

Yeah I suspect it's right hand rotation. I'll check when I get home.

Thanks

I may look into ATK engines as well
'85 2001 454
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 4:29pm
Well sorry your engine failed, photos show you have a pretty nice one.   

In the other big block thread I recommended finding an old Crusader Model 350 which is a 350hp 454. These were very good motors. Based on the GM industrial block and not automotive. They are a little heavier and are more buildable for someone interested in 4 bolt main bearings v 2 bold auto block.   All of the ones I have seen are Heat Exchange motors therefore internal corrosion should not be an issue.   You can find a right hand rotation as most of these were installed in twin engine boats from what I have seen.   They were bullet proof so there are a ton of them out there especially from larger boats that have been repowered with diesels.

If you cant find a right hand engine, not to worry, they are not hard to convert when rebuilding. GM parts are common for both right and left rotation.
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 4:54pm
Hopefully I didn't crack the block, and I can just rebuild this one... I'll know soon.
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 7:40pm
Drained the oil. Got almost 3 gallons of coolant, followed by thick milkshake oil. But no visible particulates or metal shavings or foreign objects that I could find.

Pulling plugs next.
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 7:52pm
Something on the engine tag doesn't add up to me.. It doesn't have the X (indicating freshwater cooled), but it uses coolant, and has a closed loop cooling system with the heat exchanger and the seawater intake with strainer that dumps to exhaust after the heat exchanger.

Am I missing something?
'85 2001 454
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 8:02pm
First, welcome to the forum! Good to see you started things off right with a picture      Post more as you go along - this will nearly always help with our diagnosis and advise.

Now, sorry to hear about your engine, but Yes, cracked somewhere. Hopefully it's just a head, though that still presents a few problems, mainly bent rods, cracked pistons, etc.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 9:02pm
Ian,
I too would like to welcome you to CCfan. Keep us posted with what you find.

Regarding the "X" missing from the engine tag, there's a possibility that the fresh water cooling was added. Kit's are available.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

First, welcome to the forum! Good to see you started things off right with a picture      Post more as you go along - this will nearly always help with our diagnosis and advise.

Now, sorry to hear about your engine, but Yes, cracked somewhere. Hopefully it's just a head, though that still presents a few problems, mainly bent rods, cracked pistons, etc.

Thanks! Happy to be here!

Fortunately the boss told me not to take any short cuts, and spend the money to fix it right! 😎😎
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ian,
I too would like to welcome you to CCfan. Keep us posted with what you find.

Regarding the "X" missing from the engine tag, there's a possibility that the fresh water cooling was added. Kit's are available.

Interesting. I'll have to try to track that down. I'd really like to know if it was added.
'85 2001 454
outerbanked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outerbanked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 11:43pm
I'd be curious to see if you have any mineral build up on your heat exchanger and exhaust manifolds. The freshwaterbpackage might be something you left in the garage during the rebuild. The freshwater parts are valuable, but I am unsure they help you, unless you visit saltwater lakes.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 12:17am
Hopefully it rotates smoothly once the spark plugs come out but with that much water/coolant in the pan you had a really big leak.
The bad noise you mentioned may indicate much more damage. I have heard engines water lock and not make any bad noises, they just locked up. You could reverse them with a pry bar and they went backwards fine.
Any lock up caused by hydro lock will usually bend a connecting rod.
Sorry, I hope you find something minor.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 1:24am
My thoughts as well Mark. Unfortunately I've heard both - a simple water reversion lockup with my old boat that cleared easily and with no damage, and a nasty hydro lock with a buddy. His was preceded by a second or two of bumping & banging and then nothing. That one didn't end well.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 1:58am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Hopefully it rotates smoothly once the spark plugs come out but with that much water/coolant in the pan you had a really big leak.
The bad noise you mentioned may indicate much more damage. I have heard engines water lock and not make any bad noises, they just locked up. You could reverse them with a pry bar and they went backwards fine.
Any lock up caused by hydro lock will usually bend a connecting rod.
Sorry, I hope you find something minor.

There's more. It's bad. After I freed the hyrdrolock I tried to turn over the motor.... it turned over fine... but it made some real angry noise when it turned.

Found this delightful thing in cylinder #4

And it was #7 that was locked... and with those being on L and R banks respectively, I suspect it's all ***************ed up inside the block.
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 2:06am
I'll get the heads off tomorrow, and then we'll know how much to ask for in a GoFundMe account! hahahahaha
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 2:13am
I don't visit saltwater... well not anymore, now that I'm in Colorado.

But Colorado is strict to limit ANS in clean lakes, so boats have to get decontaminated when moving between bodies of water.. and the freshwater system makes the decon process much easier for the Park Rangers to perform, and quicker for me as a consumer.
'85 2001 454
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 9:49am
Man that's sad. Welcome to the site. She sure is a good looking boat. Hopefully you have the ability for a rebuild. And if you hustle, have her back in the water for summer? Good luck with it!!
Js
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 11:22am
Which way does this engine turn?

Only Asking because some 454s in those boats turned left, and are a radically different animal regarding heads, cam, block, etc and would require care to keep the same performance.

The short pylon seems odd, for a barefoot special
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 11:33am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Did a “barefoot special” exist? I’ve seen several listed as such and assumed they were just misguided owners not realizing that the 454 was optional on the 2001. I know you’ve told us about the LH HO 454’s that were offered (dealer installed?) in BFN’s and SN’s during the 80’s... are these the same thing, or a different animal? Curious what distinguished them from regular models.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 11:59am
Found this delightful thing in cylinder #4

When we pull plugs like this in the Funny Car (and often) our Crew Chief usually hollers "She's coming apart boys, tear her down"   
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Which way does this engine turn?

Only Asking because some 454s in those boats turned left, and are a radically different animal regarding heads, cam, block, etc and would require care to keep the same performance.

Engine turns Right.

I don't know for sure that it's a barefoot special. Just what I was told by someone.
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

"She's coming apart boys, tear her down"   

Yep. Starting the teardown today!
'85 2001 454
Ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 7:04pm
Just as I suspected. Motor is shot. Who's got a recommendation on a place to order a new one?
'85 2001 454
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Ian Ian wrote:

Just as I suspected. Motor is shot. Who's got a recommendation on a place to order a new one?

What did you find?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

What did you find?

3 bullet holes
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 9:22pm

Try Jim at 207-252-099 six. I believe he has a RH 454 that came from a PCM.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 11:15pm
The Spark plug looks like an impact hit. Is there a fractured cylinder in the block?
Rod out the side of the block?   It may be able to be repaired even if you need to put a sleeve in one cylinder, a sleeve is a 100% repair if done by a quality shop.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
  Share Topic