Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1997 Sport Nautique-good for slalom?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ejkski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejkski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1997 Sport Nautique-good for slalom?
    Posted: April-18-2018 at 10:11am
I am a slalom skier looking for a new boat and have identified a Sport Nautique. I have not been able to find much online regarding if it has a good slalom wake. I understand that it is not as good as a Ski Nautique but would like a boat that I can still ski the course with.
Thanks
Ed
Ed Ki
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 10:31am
Depends on what you are used to skiing behind, if a 70's vintage or 2001 SN hull, probably won't feel too bad. The 98 thru 02 sport hull will give you a much better slalom wake for not much more $$$.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 11:15am
Quinner, stop spreading fake news. The 93-97 and 98-02 Sport hulls are extremely similar. The latter has a more tapered chine to address some handling idiosyncrasies per Jody S. The slalom wake is reportedly unchanged.

I have never skied a Sport but would expect any 93-02 version to slalom like a slightly heavier version of the NWZ SN (90-96), on which the hull was based.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 11:33am
I was never a fan of the 96 sport wake. I was under the impression that it changed in 97. Depends on what you are used to and how aggressive you want to be
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
ejkski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejkski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 1:51pm
I am used to skiing behind a late 90s Prostar 205 if anyone knows how the wake compares that would be great!
Ed Ki
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 1:58pm
Tracking, spray and ride are likely to be superior to the MC, but the wake will be a bit larger.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 5:19pm
I agree with Tim's descripton vs. MC205.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

ejkski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejkski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 6:01pm
Is this comparison with the 96-98 Prostar 205 which had a worse wake than the earlier models?

Thanks
Ed Ki
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 6:08pm
Sorry, I was thinking of the 92-95 ps205 as I’ve skied most 90’s ps190’s, including the 91-94 version that is pretty highly regarded (on which that first 205 was based). I don’t know how that 96+ version skis- and I am not sure how closely it is related to the 95-97 190. If it is similar, that 95-97 190 skis pretty darn good.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 6:17pm
+2 with Tim's assessment. Though I've never skied a Sport either, I understand from others that the extra length and weight will add a bit of depth to the wake but with all the other characteristics virtually unchanged. I used to ski behind a friend's Prostar 205 a few years back and I can tell you that my NWZ Nautique is far, far superior. I would think adding a bit of height with the Sport would likely somewhat match the height of the Prostars' wake given that they are very similar in length and weight.
IMO, a choice between a Prostar and a Sport there really isn't a competition - Nautique every time.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
ejkski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejkski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 9:53pm
Did the 1997 Sport get the TSC just like the Ski Nautique?
Ed Ki
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Quinner, stop spreading fake news. The 93-97 and 98-02 Sport hulls are extremely similar. The latter has a more tapered chine to address some handling idiosyncrasies per Jody S. The slalom wake is reportedly unchanged.

Sport never got the TSC, despite the stickers that mentioned it.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 10:46am
So what was the hull Timmy? Look at the 99' brochure and it talks about the TWC & TSC hulls, CC called it a TSC hull, wouldn't that make it a TSC??
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 11:59am
They also put the 2001 decals on the 86-89 barefoot Nautiques but there was no relation between those 2 hulls whatsoever. So it’s up to you whether cc’s marketing efforts to create familial similarity should be used in practical discussion. Personally, I would be disinclined to confuse the issue by calling the Sport “TSC” as it was based on the NWZ and did not get the same features the TSC Ski Nautique did, and the slalom wake reflects that pedigree. The Sport hull is the Sport hull.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 12:32pm
With a TSC decal on the windshield...
escmanaze View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escmanaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 3:01pm
Hmmmm...this is an interesting revelation to me. Do you guys have any more details about how the sport isn't really a TSC hull but is actually based on an NWZ hull. I have a 97 SNOB on the TSC hull and I love it. I had assumed that the 01 Air Nautique my brother is currently looking at would have a wake only a little worse than mine because it is still a TSC hull, just a little bigger. Now it looks like some of you guys are saying my assumption is wrong? Anybody with any further details?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 3:08pm
So you're ok with calling 2 different hulls the same thing?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 3:18pm
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 6:39pm
I have a 97 sport. Before that I had an 89 prostar 190.   I mostly slalom ski but am not very good and only free ski. The sport wake flattens out quite a bit at 34 mph and above. At shorter line lengths it has a funny bump/dip that takes some getting used to. I think it has a taller wake than my 89 prostar had but I also think it is softer.   
2006 SV 211 (sold) went to the dark side
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
05 Four Winns H180 (sold)
89 Four Winns 180 Freedom (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
ejkski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejkski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 9:11pm
Thanks for the feedback. I usually ski in the low 30s.
Ed Ki
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic