Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1968 Barracuda

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
FamilyManCCF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamilyManCCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 Barracuda
    Posted: April-17-2018 at 3:47pm
This boat has been in my family since 1989. I picked the boat up from my great uncle in April of 2017. This was our primary ski boat so we added the platform in the early 1990s. Unfortunately, there was no backing installed for the platform brackets so after 10 plus years, we started to see stress cracks. The rear of the boat had new gel put on to match the deck as the shop that did it said they would not be able to match the Autumn Green. The engine was replaced with a 1977 Chrysler 318 in the late 1990s. This boat was a workhorse and provided many summers of fun on the water.

The boat will need new stringers and my goal is to try and put it back to as close to original as I can. I plan on using it for the summer of 2018 and then if everything works out, I will start in on the stringers in the fall of 2018.

The boat was completed on December 14th 1967 and Correct Craft confirmed it would have been sold as a 1968 model year. I have quite a few of the original documents that came with the boat as well. I am also really excited to have the original pennant bow light post. I have the original pennant and ensign that came with the boat but they are very worn and fragile. I picked up some replacements so I can keep the originals from getting any worse.

Looking forward to spending time fixing up the boat I learned to ski behind. I know everyone likes pictures!

chau8238 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chau8238 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2018 at 3:52pm
Nice boat! I like it a lot, platform looks good on it. I wouldn't mind a small platform on my 73.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamilyManCCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2018 at 3:55pm
Here are some interior pics!

Here are some pics of the accessories and the documentation.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2018 at 4:27pm
Wow Andrew, that's a gorgeous boat! Very cool that you've been able to keep it in the family and now have it for your own use. Curious is you'll decide to keep the platform on it, I guess it depends on whether it will continue to see ski use or be more of a lake cruiser once restored.

I take it you are certain the stringers are gone?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamilyManCCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2018 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Wow Andrew, that's a gorgeous boat! Very cool that you've been able to keep it in the family and now have it for your own use. Curious is you'll decide to keep the platform on it, I guess it depends on whether it will continue to see ski use or be more of a lake cruiser once restored.

I take it you are certain the stringers are gone?

Thanks David! I am not 100% sure the stringers are gone but the boat had a lot of family members using it and a lot of people bringing water into the boat when they would get in and out. I have a hunch that the stringers probably need replacing. I will try and do some investigating but I am pretty certain I have a stringer job ahead of me. If I do, I will consider it a right of passage!
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2018 at 4:35pm
great looking original boat... Bring it out to Green Lake this July and you'll learn more about stringers than anywhere else... Find info on the reunion and book the time.. Its fun..

05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamilyManCCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2018 at 5:31pm
I am not sure if I will be able to make it to Green Lake or not. I did see forum post on the 2018 reunion. I would imagine the in person knowledge would be outstanding and very beneficial.
1968 Correct Craft Barracuda

1998 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2018 at 6:51pm
Andrew,
I love the old Cuda's. I too had one in my earlier days and had many enjoyable moments with it.

Chances are high that a stringer job will be needed. Check them out and report back. Sounds like you would handle the job yourself which is good to hear. Many have with fantastic results and even with better results than some of the "pro" jobs we've seen. I am disappointed that the shop that did gel the transom couldn't try to get close to the original color. When you dig into working with the glass, consider trying another gel job on the transom. The nice thing about doing a transom is you can blend slightly mismatched colors at the corners. As mentioned, what are your thoughts on keeping the platform?

Using the boat this summer is certainly an option but I do suggest checking the engine/shaft/strut alingment before you put much time on it. It's one thing that bad stringers will affect.

Keep us informed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2018 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by FamilyManCCF FamilyManCCF wrote:

The engine was replaced with a 1977 Chrysler 318 in the late 1990s. getting any worse.

Do you happen to know what rotation the replacement engine is?

EDIT: Going back to your picture looking at the aft, it does look like you have a RH prop which would indicate a RR engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamilyManCCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 12:13am
Pete

I have been going back and forth on the platform. It was a big part of how I grew up with the boat but I am leaning towards removing it. When it comes time to remove it that will be the time that I look into have new gel on the transom of the boat. I am not sure if I have the capabilities of doing the gel myself but I will certainly see if I can find a shop that will do it how I want it done.

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 10:13am
Nice looking boat and what a great story.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 10:21am
Personally think you would be crazy to remove that platform, it's a towboat and having a platform makes doing exactly that a much better and easier experience.
That being said, if you do decide to remove it please sell it to me :) not far from you so no shipping required.

Also scratching my head on your Gel guys suggestion of doing a different color on the transom, matching any color on an old boat is very difficult however even a slightly off green would have been far less noticeable than an entirely different color, and as Pete mentioned, blending on a corner is a great place to hide any mis-match.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamilyManCCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Nice looking boat and what a great story.

Thanks Bill!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamilyManCCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Personally think you would be crazy to remove that platform, it's a towboat and having a platform makes doing exactly that a much better and easier experience.
That being said, if you do decide to remove it please sell it to me :) not far from you so no shipping required..

Quinner

My intent for the boat moving forward is to use it as a crusier. I have a 98 Nautique Super Sport and other family members boats at my disposal for skiing. Since we won't really be skiing behind the Barracuda I am considering removing the platform. The major reason I am going back and forth is that I have basically known the boat with the platform and if my wife and I want to stop and swim with cruising, it allows for easier entry back into the boat.

I now I won't be doing anything with it until I am able to have the back gel redone. At that point I will have to make the decision. I will let you know if I decide to remove it from the boat.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 2:56pm
Quinner must not be as young and spry as he used to be... while I certainly can’t argue a platform’s functionality, I love my platform-less vintage boats and would never add one to a model that didn’t offer them (some late 70’s models offered them optionally). The 60’s and early 70’s boats look so much cleaner without them.

Good call on the new gel match, that will be a nice visual improvement too.

HW is going to be asking to copy that guide pole configuration, watch out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamilyManCCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 2:31pm
I have a question about the trailer. I am sure the first of many questions on what may or may not have been factory options. This CC trailer has four guide posts on it. The rear guide posts are welded to the trailer and the front guide posts are bolted on to the trailer. Does any one know if the four guide posts were an option? I have not seen another trailer set up like this.

Also the guide posts are currently covered with PVC. I would assume that is not factory. What material should be covering the guide posts?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 2:38pm
One set of guide posts (rear) would have been optional from the factory, and they would have been bolted on. Clearly someone has mucked with that Trailer a bit. Guide posts from that era were commonly covered in black rubber hose. Some folks have replaced with black flex pvc.

The whole boxed section between the 2 sets of guides was added also... and the bow stop raised up.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 2:45pm
If you're concerned about trailer originality, you should probably start worrying about the winch setup and the tool box too
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

If you're concerned about trailer originality, you should probably start worrying about the winch setup and the tool box too

I'd only worry if it was a Quinners Tool Box . That definitely was not original nor authorized.......
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamilyManCCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

One set of guide posts (rear) would have been optional from the factory, and they would have been bolted on. Clearly someone has mucked with that Trailer a bit. Guide posts from that era were commonly covered in black rubber hose. Some folks have replaced with black flex pvc.

The whole boxed section between the 2 sets of guides was added also... and the bow stop raised up.

Wow, a lot more was done to the trailer by the previous owner, before my family, than I thought. I appreciate the input.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamilyManCCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Haha! Yeah the original winch broke and my uncle replaced it with the current set up. He also added the tool box. I will be removing the tool box.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 3:26pm
Andrew,
Since you say the primary intended use is cruising, I'm one for removing the platform.

Regarding the winch, I wouldn't worry about originality on it. I find winches to really aid in loading the boat on the trailer. I've added them on my trailers. Plus, there are many areas and ramps that ban the practice of power loading.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic