Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Carburetor

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Eric Harrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Harrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Carburetor
    Posted: April-15-2018 at 9:57pm
Hi all.. I am going to buy a new holley carb for my 78 SN. 351 Windsor..

I am looking at a conversion holley made at National Carburetor.

The new conversion(shown in the pictures) are built from a new Holley 0-80457-SA, and has been completely converted to a 0-80319 Marine unit using all new Holley Marine components to make this unit US Coast Guard compliant.
By doing this conversion we can offer this new light weight aluminum unit for hundreds of dollars less.

Has anyone purchased one of these?

Thanks
Eric
Easyyelp
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2018 at 10:20pm
Several of us are running QFT Quick Fuel Technology carbs. They have been bought out by Holley. Very nice carbs. Use the marine versions
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2018 at 10:43pm
Never mind
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2018 at 11:08pm
+1 for QuickFuel. Go with their M-600. It is a Holley 4160 with several upgrades:
- External float adjustment hardware
- Fuel bowl sight window
- Replaceable jets in secondary metering block
- Replaceable air bleeds

If you like a double-pumper, you can go with the M-650. It's more ca$h but a very nice carb. If I had to do it all over again, I would opt for the M-650 (even though I don't really need the extra CFM capacity).

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2018 at 9:14am
I guess nobody wants to answer the question you asked

They just want to recommend a QFT M-600 instead.

Looking at the prices, you'll be paying 450 plus shipping for the converted carb from National or you can easily find the QFT for 495 with free shipping..

Myself, I don't have any experience with the conversion carb and for the little bit extra for the QFT, this should be almost a no brainer to go with the QFT.

They've been around a while and have a good track record.

Of course somebody will probably ask why you can't rebuild yours, get it rebuilt or buy a rebuilt Holley if you want to save some money, but based on previous posts it looks like you have a 450 Holley and want to put a 600 on it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2018 at 10:24am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

based on previous posts it looks like you have a 450 Holley and want to put a 600 on it.

Eric,
Are you doing other engine modifications?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2018 at 10:48am
A 450 would not be appropriate for a 351w, the 600cfm would have been original equipment.
Eric Harrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Harrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2018 at 12:50pm
I pulled my boat out last summer when i found out I had wrong carb..this is realy the only issue I have fought other then general stuff..

So what is a QFT....and where do I buy one??.. Just want to make sure it works for this boat

Thanks for the help
Eric
Easyyelp
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2018 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Eric Harrell Eric Harrell wrote:

I pulled my boat out last summer when i found out I had wrong carb..this is realy the only issue I have fought other then general stuff..

So what is a QFT....and where do I buy one??.. Just want to make sure it works for this boat

Thanks for the help
Eric

Quick Fuel Technologies,, You can find them at Summit, Jeg's etc and the price seems to be 495 bucks with free shipping.

Look at the Quick Fuel web page for info too.

Here's a link to the 600

link

You'll need a new fuel line with the QFT carb due to the bowl design.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2018 at 1:09pm
Here's a link to a thread with fuel line info and as it mentions in the thread the flame arrestor may or may not clear the external float adjusting screws depending on you flame arrestor.

link
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 10:09am

Here's a link to a thread with fuel line info and as it mentions in the thread the flame arrestor may or may not clear the external float adjusting screws depending on you flame arrestor.

link

Good info Ken, a simple spacer below the arrestor would clear the float adjustment if you run into that issue. Other than that and the fuel line every one I have installed (besides one that was warrantied) will almost run just right out of the box with no tuning even down to idle RPM. Bolt it on as it comes out of the box and see if it will run then tune one part at a time from there. In my experience you can't get the front float level to the middle of the site glass (probably due to engine angle).

The throttle response is fantastic and the cold or hot starts are nearly like EFI when tuned correctly. You won't regret spending the cash on one of these.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 4:31pm
THese engines all came with the same holley 600. Did holley pre set these for the angle of the engine or did someone at PCM do it?   
I replaced my carburetor a couple of years ago with new holley (not needed by the way) and I did nothing to it out of the box.   I do however suspect it is dripping since my rear cylinders are wet.   

I have no idea how to set it for the angle of the carburetor.   Seems it should have a leveling shim.   What have you others done?
Butter77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butter77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 10:19pm
I'll agree with the Quickfuel. I did a rebuild on my old Holley after having an issue running way too rich. Needless to say the rebuild didn't do a damn thing to help and I've struggled since then. Finally got tired of beating my head against the wall and slapped on a M600. When folks say it works straight out of the box they ain't kiddin! I've got a Holley doorstopper if anyone needs one.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 1:24am
Originally posted by Eric Harrell Eric Harrell wrote:

Hi all.. I am going to buy a new holley carb for my 78 SN. 351 Windsor..

I am looking at a conversion holley made at National Carburetor.

The new conversion(shown in the pictures) are built from a new Holley 0-80457-SA, and has been completely converted to a 0-80319 Marine unit using all new Holley Marine components to make this unit US Coast Guard compliant.
By doing this conversion we can offer this new light weight aluminum unit for hundreds of dollars less.

Has anyone purchased one of these?

Yes, I've heard of National Carburetors. They're out of Jacksonville, FL. $200 to rebuild your old carb or $320 to buy one of theirs that has been rebuilt. You need to weigh those "rebuilt" costs against a new Holley 4160 ($595) or a new QuickFuel M-600 ($495). For my hard earned dollar$ I'd go with new vs. rebuilt. The carb is the lungs of your engine and the distributor is the heart. If either of those are less than optimal, your engine will not perform up to its potential. Scrimping on a carb is not a good gamble in my book.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 11:00am
U used National years ago. Rochesters. One the did perfect, the other they did not.   Had to return a couple of times then wound up fixing some of the external errors myself.   

shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 4:28pm
Holley tech guy said I should use a wedge spacer.   they have 7 and 12 degree, any of you use one?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 7:58pm
Duane in Indy did a spacer on his 302

Halfway down page 3 of this thread
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 8:03pm
Holman Moody used a wedge,when I changed to a 4bbl I got another. Carb sits level. Moved carb to a PCM motor, they don't use them,they use a straight spacer and had to readjust so it would run clean.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

Holley tech guy said I should use a wedge spacer.   they have 7 and 12 degree, any of you use one?

Most cars are set up with 5* of angle on intake manifold    Most boats are set up with 15* of angle.    Do the math. 10* angled spacer would be about right
        1978 Mustang (modified)
WinterTurtle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Most cars are set up with 5* of angle on intake manifold    Most boats are set up with 15* of angle.    Do the math. 10* angled spacer would be about right

I'll be reassembling my Holley this week and remembered this thread while I was staring at my intake on Saturday. Is there a consensus on how important / beneficial angled spacers are for the PCM application?
1979 Southwind 18 351w

Not Running - All Potential!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by WinterTurtle WinterTurtle wrote:

I'll be reassembling my Holley this week and remembered this thread while I was staring at my intake on Saturday. Is there a consensus on how important / beneficial angled spacers are for the PCM application?

Sounds like it didn't have a angled spacer originally. How has it performed without one?

It's run for 40 something years without a wedge but some people like to run it more level with a wedge. Personal choice whether you do this or not

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 2:52pm
Boats are set up using automotive intake manifolds which are milled at 5* as previously stated. Auto engines are set in at about 5* and then the intake angle of -5* puts the carb back level. Boats as stated are set in at 15*. That puts a lot of angle on the carb base as you have seen on yours.   As others have said "personal preference"     I prefer mine level. Floats are then set up properly;. Your choice

edit   added pic
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 3:05pm

Boats are set up using automotive intake manifolds which are milled at 5* as previously stated. Auto engines are set in at about 5* and then the intake angle of -5* puts the carb back level. Boats as stated are set in at 15*. That puts a lot of angle on the carb base as you have seen on yours.   As others have said "personal preference"     I prefer mine level. Floats are then set up properly;. Your choice

edit   added pic

Duane,
OK, I'm struggling with the math! How many degrees do you add for the pitch of the boat when it's underway?    Many of our hulls including yours run bow high. That no longer puts the carb level.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Sounds like it didn't have a angled spacer originally. How has it performed without one?

It's run for 40 something years without a wedge but some people like to run it more level with a wedge. Personal choice whether you do this or not

I haven't had it running yet but hopefully in the next ~10 days I'll be ready to give her a try.

If that's how CC built them then I'll not second guess. I'm just trusting the 'all original' vibe I got at first now that I'm seeing bad splices and duct tape and goofy workarounds for soft wood.

Sorry if I am being somewhat redundant. I am gradually seeing how much nautical specific knowledge I'm lacking as I tinker around with mine. Maybe I'll ask what kind of oil is best next
1979 Southwind 18 351w

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 3:28pm
[QUOTED] OK, I'm struggling with the math! How many degrees do you add for the pitch of the boat when it's underway?    Many of our hulls including yours run bow high. That no longer puts the carb level. [/QUOTE]

Bow position depends whether I'm in forward or reverse.

Just leave it stock and you'll be fine If it gives you trouble later then shim it
Get it back in the water and have fun
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by WinterTurtle WinterTurtle wrote:

. Is there a consensus on how important / beneficial angled spacers are for the PCM application?

The issue you will run into is PCM uses their standard spacer as the PCV vacuum source, as far as I know there are no aftermarket angled spacers that have that port. I was able to make my own using a phenolic wedge,drilling a hole in the back to glue in a tube to connect the hose,then routing grooves in the base to the primary side to supply the vacuum copying the Holman Moody aluminum 2 bbl style.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2018 at 4:47pm

edit   added pic

Duane- Your studs look quite plumb to the carb mounting surface of the wedge. Did you rebore the the stud holes while you had the manifold in the shop? I am wondering if there are any easy ways to correct stud angle.
1979 Southwind 18 351w

shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2018 at 11:37am
Guessing the biggest issue with changing carburetor angle and spacer size is going to be the hard fuel line.   What did others do regarding this issue?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2018 at 8:41pm
Some people have rebent the original line enough to fit.

Some have used USCG approved A1-15 rubber fuel line.

Sierra sells a couple

one is part number 18-8115 it's 25 inches long

another is 18-8114 and it's 31 inches long.

Or you can make your own out of the same A1-15 hose or bend up some 3/8 tubing.

Here's a good link with links to the coast guard regs and the ABYC talking about fuel systems.

link

You might notice that Pete did some learnin' about USCG regs in the linked thread
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2018 at 9:44pm
FWIW.     I run a length of "fire sleeve" over my gas line from the pump to the carb.   Not only gives some fire protection but also insulates the line and helps guard against vapor lock.   ALL of my fuel lines on my Experimental aircraft have fire sleeves on them.
Cheap insurance.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic