NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wiring Harness

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 4:38pm
So after all this it has nothing to do with Back Feed. Nothing to do with draining battery or anything else, its a simple fuse?      Thought everyone used a breaker, guess OMC guys wanted to be different.   Make more money selling fuses I guess.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

So after all this it has nothing to do with Back Feed. Nothing to do with draining battery or anything else, its a simple fuse?      Thought everyone used a breaker, guess OMC guys wanted to be different.   Make more money selling fuses I guess.

The thing is just a fuse.

Now if you look at a PCM wiring diagram they use.....................nothing on the alternator output.

Straight from the alternator to the output side of the main breaker, no protection for the alternator output wire if it was to become grounded between the alternator and the breaker,other than the wire being sized to handle full alternator output.

And if you have rectifier diode issues like mentioned a while back, you can drain the battery back through the alternator overnight. The flowpath is from the battery to ground through the rectifier assembly and the amount of current depends on the failure. The OMC fuse will do nothing to stop this slow discharge.

And also depending on alternator brand and style, you can have issues where you turn the key off and the engine stays running especially with a 3 wire AC Delco swap in place of a different alternator. It backfeeds through the excitation line and the coil stays powered till you rip the wire off or you choke it till it stops or if you're feeling real lazy, you let it run till it's out of gas

An external diode or a properly sized resistor comes with many of the AC Delco swap kits for this reason.

shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 11:07am
So if you have a rectifier issue in your alternator and you have an external diode as a safety then you will not know you have a problem, I would want to know there is a problem.   
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 11:11am
Im also guessing that if your boat is set up with amp meter instead of volt then you would notice a significant discharge when key is off, am I correct?
I changed mine to volt meter when I re did the electrical. Now I am second guessing the decision.   Mine would be easy to re wire however since I used a positive and negative buss bar under the dash.   
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 11:28am

So if you have a rectifier issue in your alternator and you have an external diode as a safety then you will not know you have a problem, I would want to know there is a problem.   

You'll know it when the alternator is not putting out it's normal voltage and the voltmeter starts dropping as the battery gets run down.

And if you don't notice that, the boat will eventually quit or if you turn it off the next tijme when you go to start it the battery will be dead. or really run down.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 11:35am

Im also guessing that if your boat is set up with amp meter instead of volt then you would notice a significant discharge when key is off, am I correct?
I changed mine to volt meter when I re did the electrical. Now I am second guessing the decision.   Mine would be easy to re wire however since I used a positive and negative buss bar under the dash.   

I think I'd call it more of a minor deflection on the meter that you may or may not even notice.

You done it now though Steve, you mentioned the word ammeter and left the door wide open for Pete to show up and proclaim his undying love for ammeters
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 12:11pm
My dad who we call The Word, is an ammeter fan. He wanted me to re wire in that manner. dads 88 but I can say he has forgotten more than most will ever know. Aerospace engineer that actually did write the book or at least a chapter in an engineering manual.   
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 7:02pm

My dad who we call The Word, is an ammeter fan. He wanted me to re wire in that manner. dads 88 but I can say he has forgotten more than most will ever know. Aerospace engineer that actually did write the book or at least a chapter in an engineering manual.   

Steve,
It sure sounds like your dad is a very intelligent person. Gain as much of his knowledge as you can. There sure are times that I think back and wish I had listened to my father more than I did.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Julie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 2:04pm
I have an 86 Ebbtide OMC 4.3 V6 with an external diode wired to the alternator that has failed. Boat will start but not shut off . Where can I find a diode. I do know that it is the same engine as a 86 Astro Van! Help!!!!
Jules
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 2:17pm
A picture is worth a thousand words and a it's lot easier to see just what you need
Julie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 2:23pm
Can't post picture because the diode burnt up..I guess over time. In line diode with shrink tape over it going to the alternator.
Jules
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 2:44pm
How about a picture of the alternator (from the rear) or if there's a tag on it with the brand that would be helpful too.
Julie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 4:44pm

The photo take from the back has the heat shrink attache to the purple wire where the external diode was!
Jules
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 5:38pm
Well, those pictures give quite a bit of information

First I'm sure it's a Delco Remy 3 wire alternator mostly because it says Delco Remy on the back.

Second   that's not a marine alternator because there is no spark arrestor screening on the back of it. The marine ones have the screens in front (behind the fan) and in the back. The ones in the back are plainly visible and yours doesn't have any back there. Somebody probably replaced it sometime in the last 32 years.

It's an explosion hazard.

You can find a marine rated Delco Remy 3 wire in the link below at a reasonable price.

As far as finding a diode, I'd look for a 5 amp diode at an electronics website or on EBAY they're easy to find. They're a buck or two each.

Did you have to pull that wire off to stop the engine?

Usually when a diode dies you get an open circuit and in this case an open circuit on that wire wouldn't have prevented shutting off the engine. If everything melted and fused together, then you'd have problems shutting it off. It looks like somebody's homegrown diode job from what I can see.(Looks like somebody crimped a spade connector onto the diode wire that's visible if I'm seeing the second picture right)

I'd get the marine alternator as part of fixing this.

Kinda a long answer for "where can I find a diode?"    and maybe not what you wanted to hear

link   
Julie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 9:46pm
Keno,
Guess I am buying a alternator. Do I need a diode too?
This old boat is functional and I hear the 4.3 V6 is bulletproof. This is my second I.O. and I ws not aware that alternator was not marine. Better to be safe then sorry. Pulled the wire to kill the engine, the re started with the wire off and she shut right down.
Jules
Julie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 10:01pm
Keno,
Are you 100%sure that is the correct alternator? I appreciate your help!!! Thanks!!!
Jules
Julie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 10:10pm
Can you be a little more specific about where to get the correct diode??? Thanks!
Jules
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 10:45pm
If you want something that's pretty foolproof as far as wiring, you could get a 1 wire Delco alternator. The 1 wire only has the output terminal and you would hook your big orange wire there. The sensing and excitation wires that go to your present alternator just get taped off and hooked to nothing

It's self exciting and senses output voltage right at the alternator.

It has some disadvantages like you need to initially rev it to about 1000 rpm's for it to excite itself every time you start the boat, then it's good till the next start even if you go down to idle speed.

For a boat with no big loads it works fine, quite a few people here have used them A lot of boats came with them as standard equipment over the years including some OMC's
If you have a big honkin' stereo with a half dozen giant speakers the 3 wire would be better   

You'd have no need for a diode either

Maybe some other people will weigh in with their opinions.

DB electrical, the same place as the link in the previous post sells them too, for about the same price as the 3 wire. You'd want one with the same size pulley you have now..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic