NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Nautique Redesign - 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 7:04pm
As time goes on I'm sure the styling will grow on you,right now it's a shock and perhaps a reason they chose those colors. Different schemes and maybe more deck matched sea deck will help. If your going to buy one I'm sure someone on PN will help with your fabric selections and color choice options.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 7:15pm
Initially I recoiled at the Oragami-Nautique but it'll probably grow on me. My "radical" 200 with "progressive" stripes looks legitimately classic after today.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 7:20pm
I'm guessing many high end boat purchases are driven by ego more than functionality.

I wonder if us keeping our old-glass shiny helps new-SN sales or hurts it?

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

I’d like to see one in basic white AND open bow. Where’s the dang open bow?

I'm not necessarily a big open bow fan for Ski Nautiques, but it is kind of interesting that they are not offering that right now, with the bow area being so wide and "G" like. I wonder if the open bow is something that might come later.

Edit: Just to add, if I was spending major money on a new(er) boat, I would definitely be looking at open bows mainly, because the wife seems to appreciate them.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I wonder if us keeping our old-glass shiny helps new-SN sales or hurts it?

I think it's the other way around:

The never-ending escalation of new Nautique prices helps the value* of shiny old-glass Nautiques...

*(making them more worthy of preservation, etc.)
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 9:49pm
No-wood boats are pretty cost effective to keep alive, almost indefinitely. Upholstery, wear items like cables, an occasional gauge or wiring update, and then eventually a rebuild or replacement engine. All are chump change compared to a new boat, or even a 5 year old boat. Unlike a car where the metal parts have a finite life (in our salt heavy area of New England anyway) the boat itself should last a VERY long time if we want it too.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 11:58pm
Good point on inflation of old school resale prices.

One could probably buy a used SN & scrap it at the end of each season & still be ahead of the depreciation curve on those high end boats.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2018 at 3:12pm
When I was a kid growing up on Twin Lakes, Iowa, our neighbors had an Evinrude Explorer powered by a Buick V8.. It was not the prettiest boat on the lake but it was a real workhorse. Seems the styling was decades ahead of its time!

-Phil
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2018 at 4:12pm
Remember those boats very well! But, kind of surprised you mention a V8, I thought they had less HP than that, the outdrives at that time couldn't handle a whole lot of power.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2018 at 4:24pm
Growing up in Orlando, CC country, about every house on the Conway Chain had a Nautique hanging in the boathouse.   Very few were used all the time, most just hung there.   Fast forward to lake Conway today.   People who live on this lake for the most part can afford the 100k sticker price and hang it in the boathouse with little use. Not sure however how many are still willing to do it though.   
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2018 at 4:33pm
looked at what mastercraft has and it looks like cc followed their design in part.   3300 lb boat in the 80k range.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2018 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by 70CC 70CC wrote:

our neighbors had an Evinrude Explorer powered by a Buick V8..

-Phil

Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

, kind of surprised you mention a V8, I thought they had less HP than that, .

Phil,
It was a OMC I/O with a V6.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2018 at 8:56pm
Here's a page from the 1967 Evinrude IO brochure.

Notice that there's a V6 and a V8 and they're both Buick engines.

Before anybody jumps up and down and says it's a Chevy V8 check the bore and stroke in the brochure, Then see what the bore and stroke of a 300 cubic inch Buick V8 was.

It came in the bigger 19 ft hulls and not the smaller hulls but maybe like CC back then if you asked nicely and waved some extra money around you could get whatever you wanted as a special order. Maybe that's what 70 CC's neighbor did

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2018 at 9:17pm
Thanks Ken. You can learn something every day of your life and still die stupid!!

Phil,
How's your project coming? You haven't posted lately about that 1st gen. SN!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2018 at 9:20pm
Thanks Keno. Pretty sure it was a V8 and it was a good sized boat for the day, so could have been a 19'. I must have pasted a pic of the smaller version.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2018 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Thanks Ken. You can learn something every day of your life and still die stupid!!

Well now we're all a little smarter because we know where CC got the inspiration for the new boat

Back then a friend's family has a 19 footer with the Buick V8

Like Phil said it seemed huge and it was a lot of fun.

it's been cross bred with a Glastron from the early 70's or so to come up with the shape of the deck for the CC though..
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2018 at 12:06pm
I like open-bow ski tugs, so I'm a little disappointed that I didn't see an open-bow version -- too bad. The ski wake looks verrrrrry nice. I'd love to have that bad-boy.

I agree with many of the other Ski Nautique veterans that the style of this new unit is butt-ugly. I do like the creature comforts, but not a big fan of the over-the-top use of Sea-Deck.

I really love the ski lockers and wish my 1994 had 'em. That dry weight is higher than what I was expecting.

Looks like my next purchase will be a slightly-used open-bow 2018 Ski Nautique...

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2018 at 12:11pm
What I posted On BOS this morning:
Drove it Skied it today at Corys..short line skiers dream come true! Going to ski it again on Fri.

Skied it at 34 and 35 MPH 28 off through 35 off. like riding across a glass table top through the wakes after 28 off. 28 off did have some rooster bite but was not an issue. noticed no wake drop off at any of the line lengths i skied. It is kinda UN-nerving not feeling the wake the first time.
pulled a couple skiers at longer lines and slower speed so I did not get a real feel for how it feels with top speed shortline skiers. from my brief experience behind the wheel I did need a 15 year old to walk me through the screen set up procedures (thanks Fed!). This could be an issue for many drivers that get thrown in the boat with no previous seat time in the product. A quick warning as a skier in a tournament you need to remind the driver at each end to input the line length as if it is not you might not get the ride you expect.

Talking to Cory and Adam P they were both very excited that the trick side of the boat was fabulous and they said the wakes were large and very well defined with an absolute flat table. Cory Commented that tricks were not left as as side issue and a lot of thought went into the total design of the boat.

Every aspect of the boat as far as I can see went through a comprehensive thought process and ergonomics are spot on.
Not going to go into the styling and overall looks as I am only interested in what goes on behind the boat. It was an overall great first impression for me though i was involved with a sneak preview back in Dec.

I highly urge anyone that can make the time to sign up and go get your free ride as it is for a limited time only. I believe that Rini, Travers, Pickos and a few others are involved with this promotion.
Looking forward to my next experience with this product..
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2018 at 12:15pm
Oh for goodness sake, the OB is coming. The CB and short deck are on the short list of things a traditionalist will like about the boat, let them have them! There’s no way they added the shovel nose with anything but OB space in mind, it sure doesn’t score many style points. Guessing the debut will be a few months away.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2018 at 1:02pm
I'm with Tim,I'd guess their whole focus is getting this ready and right for the Masters
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2018 at 1:09pm
Re: replacement cost and life of the SeaDek, I can't imagine that replacing it would be worse that what I've seen people going through to replace carpet on the "OG" 210's like mine. There is an incredible amount of carpet in my boat, and while it's OK if you keep it pretty dry, carpet isn't known for dispersing moisture very well. If you keep the boat covered when it's not in use, I don't see why the SeaDek product wouldn't last just as long, if not longer, than carpet. If you don't cover it, well, say goodbye to the rest of your interior, too. By the time it needs to be replaced, I would imagine costs will have come down a bit - they already have as a result of multiple competitive products on the market now, compared to 10-15 years ago with this kind of material. All that said, I think they went overboard. Maybe you can option that out in some areas?

As for the design of the boat, I look at it a bit like the new Civic Type-R. Presented in some colors, I find it downright offensive. But if you don't have multiple contrasting colors, for example, if the whole thing was just blue or black or white, it wouldn't be nearly as hard to look at. The CTR looks fine in all black, because you can't see all those giant black "vents" and other details that are so polarizing.

I'm an absolute fan of the classic lines of the older Nautiques, which is why I sought out an OG 210; well, that, and I can't remotely afford a $50k boat, let alone $100k or $150k. One of my favorite boats of all time is the plain-old Century Resorter, which, what do you know, looks a lot like a 2001 in profile. So, while I don't like the looks of the new boat, I think the design will grow on me when i can see some more subdued tones, or even just see one in person. But then again, I don't really like any of the current offerings of giant wake boats. It's just not my thing.

I'd sure like to ski behind a '19 Nautique, though.

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2018 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

What I posted On BOS this morning:
Drove it Skied it today at Corys..short line skiers dream come true! Going to ski it again on Fri.
Looking forward to my next experience with this product..

VERY COOL! Thanks for the review. If I lived ANYWHERE near one of these locations I'd be there. I looked on BOS and did not see where you had posted? Perhaps I'm not looking in the right thread(s).
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2018 at 7:09pm
Wow Jody, you sure make it sound appealing !! Even though I personally am not wild about the new styling, I also don't really hate it as some have said. I'm sorta thinking if I had 100k to spend on a new ski boat I would probably make myself learn to like it
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2018 at 8:01pm
If there's even a chance that it can be ordered with less Sundeck, and less metal flake, maybe a more subdued graphics package, I could warm up a bit.....
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2018 at 11:27am
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2018 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

it's been cross bred with a Glastron from the early 70's or so to come up with the shape of the deck for the CC though..

You ain't lyin Keno, my old 76 GT160 glastron front deck lines were very similar. We have covered trihulls before - nothing in boating has ever come on so hard and then disappeared so completely so quickly In this case I am guessing that bow is a lot harder to dunk under water than the 200, particularly if they put out an OB at the same length.

That was a pretty good little clip of sending those boats out into the world - still not a set of color choices that really got me... but I am not much of red guy.   Maybe I could learn to like the white on the front of the mostly blue boat.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2018 at 12:44pm
Correct Craft helps U S Navy develop new SEAL assault craft:

1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2018 at 1:20pm
It really looks like a Radar Vapor! Must say... hated it at first... starting to come around...

Still, I see $30k worth of pointless features I'd like to see stripped off it, not to mention 1/3 the seadek. Stereo seems skimpy...
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2018 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

my old 76 GT160 glastron

Joe, why did I somehow know you would have had a GT160 before you even said that?

Never had one, but drooled over them in my youth, along with the various Carlson offerings. I'm guessing you had a 115 Tower of Power on it?

That video made me like the new Ski just slightly more. Like everything I'll get used to it and probably even like it once I see more, just was caught kind of by surprise by the initial look. Jody's comments help a lot in appreciating what kind of a performer the boat is.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2018 at 11:10am
Cannot tell if there are lifting rings, don't see anything on the bow? What are they going to connect their extended pylons to ??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic