NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Nautique Redesign - 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2018 at 7:20pm
I'd buy one, but I can't ski anymore, shucks
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2018 at 8:48pm
Couple observations:

Looks like fuel tank in front

and, @ 2:06 in video,
boat looks wider than course,
looks like it can be pulled off course/off keel.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2018 at 9:04pm
Nautiques track like a train. Rock solid in the course, most AWSA rated drivers really like to drive the 200. Doubt the changed the tracking. The wake is incredible.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2018 at 11:47pm
I’d like to see one in basic white AND open bow. Where’s the dang open bow?
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 2:24am
So I think the verdict here is that it's ugly but probably has the best wake ever and a lot of creature comforts.   Well, leave it to a youngster on the site to point out the vast majority of those submitting the "ugly" are the very ones that have old school, and very old school Nautiques. Kinda hard to go with new age stuff when you're brought up with the classics and it takes a certain type of person that will always just go with the current flow.   That's usually not me. Though I "flow" a little at times, I do like classic lines.   Well, my version of classic. It's different with everyone.   
I bought my first boat when I was a young adult with very small kids.   It was brand new and I loved the lines and so forth.   I would look at the old "classics" from the late 60's into the 80's and didn't really care for them that much.   And now looking at all the new designs everyone seems to be copying, I'm not real thrilled about them either. But as I said, it's different for everyone. All the young adults with small kids are probably looking at all the new Nautiques and thinking "where can I get $150k for one of those!!"

Food for thought    
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 7:57am
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Food for thought    

My food for thought is it's damn ugly!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 10:10am
I'm a young guy and that thing is BARF. Yes, the wake looks great and I am sure the touch screen/camera is "cool"?

There is nothing clean or shapely about the design, it's just lots of shapes slammed onto a hull. Seadek is very functional and pretty sometimes but this is over done. The motor box that pulls up some of the floor seems like a good idea. Otherwise it has an ugly but functional windshield, a lower rear step over, higher freeboard for who knows why on a slalom boat? Fuel tank forward seems like a good idea (I would have incorporated a rear trunk instead of a lower step over). 200 stern was plenty easy to step over.

In the Indiana market 200 buyers complained enough about the price of a base model 200 and rarely bought new usually going to a promo boat that didn't even come from a dealer.

I just don't see how there is any room in the market to sell more than a few of these a year. Good luck anyways.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 10:42am
After watching the videos last night I'm going to go against the grain and say I actually like the look. I think it will grow on people especially if they are looking for a serious 3 event boat. It's not for everybody but neither was the original 200 when it came out Certainly not conventional but modern, functionality is paramount in that type of boat.. The walk through video with Adam W. really helps. As for the Technology, we'll be going on our 6th season with our 200 and I still absolutely love our Linc system, couldn't imagine the same boat in analogue. Still don't care for all that Seadeck though, it doesn't last forever and that will cost a small fortune to replace.

As for the geometric shapes to it, I didn't like the latest iteration of the Corvette either until I actually sat in one and drove it.   It felt right looking the way it did.

To Gary's comment, who knew the guy that designed the Aztek was so far ahead of his time, He just peaked a little too early and yes I did own an Aztek. I never realized how hip I am until now!
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 11:03am
I feel the same as Alan. After riding and driving in a GS20, I very much appreciate the layout, driver's seat design and functionality of the design concept. What a comfortable and functional 20 ft boat! That GS20 hull was NOT set up for slalom, however - no place to store slalom skis and the model we skied didn't even have a ski pylon NOT mounted on the tower. But for the Ski Nautique, I'm sure it's amazing in and behind.

The Seadek is excessive, but for those of us who have redone PWCs, the modular appliques make restorations easy and keep the boat VERY functional.

There are only a couple ways for a company to stay alive today - small and niche or large and volume. The ski boat market is dropping to a tiny piece of what it was. Nautique is moving in a direction to ensure it's financial survival - I totally get it.

I would love to have one (or ski well enough to warrant getting one).... but I'd have to sell all my boats and 2 of my cars. I'm going to have to wait until it's over 10 years old, like the rest of my boats!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 11:52am
As a responsible consumer what % of your annual income should be spent on a recreational toy like this, 25% -50% or more if financed perhaps?? Me thinks 25% which put's you at 400k annual income as a buyer, that's a lot of dough!!

No question looks aside boat is absolutely amazing, the use of every inch of cavernous space is pretty cool. Never been a fan of Seadek, dealer wants $300 to do just the platform on my 206, looking at this boat you would be looking at thousands of dollars one would imagine to replace the pieces that will likely wear out after what, 10yrs??
Time to replace the skins and Seadek, that will be $10k please, DOH!!!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

As a responsible consumer what % of your annual income should be spent on a recreational toy like this, 25% -50% or more if financed perhaps?? Me thinks 25% which put's you at 400k annual income as a buyer, that's a lot of dough!!

!

I think the rule of thumb last time I was pushing boats at a show was 25-33% depending on credit score - I am sure things maybe a bit more free wheeling these days. I just have to find a girl that makes a ton of money, marry her and convince her she likes waterskiing and could care less about houses, shoes, cars, and clothes.

Or my good buddies Steve and Val can get one in blue and white (grey seadeck) and keep it in really good shape and sell it to me after 25 years.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Or my good buddies Steve and Val can get one in blue and white (grey seadeck) and keep it in really good shape and sell it to me after 25 years.

I'll talk to the boss and put in your order ...........
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 12:30pm
BTW - Looking at a GS20 last year, the dealer offered financing was for a 30-year loan........ very affordable!
philthy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 12:37pm
I just took a look at some Census data and for the 126 million households in the US, about 9% make over $200k. If just less than half of those make $400k, that's somewhere around 5-6 million potential buyers.

I've always said there are a lot of rich people in America. I just wish I knew how to be one.

Troy Wiora
Senior Test Pilot
- www.AbusiveMotorSports.com</a>

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style8,all-spc-your-spc-base.png[
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 12:43pm
Not that I looked up any data, but I think you'd find that it's only 20% of the households that make 200000 would make 400,000. It's quite a curve as the income rises.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

It's not for everybody but neither was the original 200 when it came out Certainly not conventional but modern, functionality is paramount in that type of boat.. The walk through video with Adam W. really helps.

I agree the functionality and layout is second to none. Adam did a great job on the presentation.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 1:11pm
You guys are missing the point - $100,000 at 30 years at 4.5% = very affordable, $507.00 per month for 30 years - and only $82,000 in interest in 30 yrs.

When my 78 yr-old father was buying a motor coach, they tried to talk him into 30-year financing and told him to let the estate worry about the final costs. Nice, huh?

It's not about what something costs; it's how can I afford it monthly. Boom.
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 1:16pm
Wondering if Nautique has also purchased SEADEK ?????,seems they got a good buy for the amount used on the new Ski Nautique !!!!!!
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 2:06pm
Seadek is on practically every type of boat now.
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 2:28pm
[It's not about what something costs; it's how can I afford it monthly. Boom.[/QUOTE]

Bingo!! That's it. I see it all the time with people I work/deal with regarding all kinds of things. I've looked at fishing boats online, and sometimes it's hard to find the price of the boat. They let you know what the monthly payment is though. I see a commercial all the time from a local boat dealer selling pontoon boats. They only show how much it costs per month. Then tell me they have the lowest priced boats around. I bet they do.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 3:03pm
The deception of "what can you afford per month" is the American way now, which is awful. I hate it and think it is a way for the rich to get richer while people happily enslave themselves in debt.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Wisky Badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 3:08pm
It would be cool if they would stretch the hull another foot, open the bow and bring back the family style direct drives like the nautique 206, sport nautique. mastercraft 209, malibu sunsetter lxi and BRING THE COST DOWN.

I realize the industry will never do that.   They definitely are not marketing to someone like myself who wants a boat that is easy to tow with a midsized SUV, wants room for the average sized family and doesn't want to surf.   It is either a tournament ski machine or heavy ass surf boat.   

With 100K I could buy a nice used Ski Nautique 206 install new carpet, vinyl, and do engine maintenance.   Then I could go buy a new snowmobile, new Husqvarna 701 enduro, new ATV and still take my wife to Hawaii on vacation.   

For most recreational/freeskiers that ski 5 to 20 times a year the awesome wake really isn't worth the price.   Most of us will have just as much fun behind a used 2001, 196, prostar 190, and malibu response. I am from the school of paying cash for your toys.   If you can't pay cash for a toy or at least pay it off in a year or two you probably don't need it. Boat payments are not fun to make in the winter time in the midwest. Hopefully someone will purchase some of these so I can buy a used in 30 years when I am 67 and can no longer ski. I will post the restoration on CorrectCraftFan.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Wisky Badger Wisky Badger wrote:

For most recreational/freeskiers that ski 5 to 20 times a year the awesome wake really isn't worth the price.   Most of us will have just as much fun behind a used 2001, 196, prostar 190, and malibu response.

No question, you are right about that. What I think you may be missing is it's more about the boat than the wake to many people, at least once you are at a 196 level wake that is just so outstanding. Skiing in a 16' American Skier was a blast but not on board people and gear friendly. 2001's seemed to have a huge amount of room when they came along, every iteration gets better at storage and passenger comfort and general layout. From looking at the wide beam and layout of the new Ski it would be incredibly comfortable on the water, which does matter to a lot of people.

Quote so I can buy a used in 30 years when I am 67 and can no longer ski.

No longer ski? No reason to ever stop, especially with skis available to make it easier on the body once you are ready for that.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Wisky Badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wisky Badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 4:11pm
At a cuddly 6'5'' and 250 lbs I will on skiing on Radar Butterknife sooner than 67 years old if the nutrisystem program I started yesterday doesn't kick in soon.
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 4:49pm
No need to quit skiing, get that diet going. I'm 71 and ski 6 sets/week. Will be skiing the 2019 Ski Nautique in the next couple weeks.
tjs1295 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjs1295 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

No need to quit skiing, get that diet going. I'm 71 and ski 6 sets/week. Will be skiing the 2019 Ski Nautique in the next couple weeks.

I love reading things like this. I'm 43, and hope to be skiing for a long time.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 4:56pm
I was out on a job a while back and got talking to someone. Boats and skiing came up. He said he was a wakeboarder at one time but he's kind of old for it now, so he has quit. I asked him how old he was. He was 36. Ridiculous. I'm 63. Here is the essence of my last outing - just a week ago.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I was out on a job a while back and got talking to someone. Boats and skiing came up. He said he was a wakeboarder at one time but he's kind of old for it now, so he has quit. I asked him how old he was. He was 36.

36 is too old for wakeboarding I agree with him - after 35 one should concentrate on barefooting, slalom, trick, and hydrofoil. Most are harder than wakeboarding but none have beaten me up like wakeboarding. Maybe once a year now I will wakeboard with ballast and if I survive the session without adding to my repetitive brain injury total then I end up with knees that are swollen and killing me for a week .
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I was out on a job a while back and got talking to someone. Boats and skiing came up. He said he was a wakeboarder at one time but he's kind of old for it now, so he has quit. I asked him how old he was. He was 36.

36 is too old for wakeboarding I agree with him - after 35 one should concentrate on barefooting, slalom, trick, and hydrofoil. Most are harder than wakeboarding but none have beaten me up like wakeboarding. Maybe once a year now I will wakeboard with ballast and if I survive the session without adding to my repetitive brain injury total then I end up with knees that are swollen and killing me for a week .

Absolutely, basically everyone I knew that was a pretty serious wakeboarder has had knee/shoulder/back/ankle surgeries. Not worth it. Barefooting hurts sometimes for a short amount of time but otherwise is pretty easy on the body with all of the thrills.

Just dive into the water at 25 mph with a 4x8 strapped to your feet. Yay, you're wakeboard crashing.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 6:45pm
I am going back to jumping this year...Age 60!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic