NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strut Alignment Procedure

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2019 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

That’s almost as good of a job as my wife did

Sure Paul, blame the wife!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2019 at 3:14pm
Gun Driver, you ripped up that prop really nicely. Nice angle on the strut also.
Must be designed for those shallow water visits.
At least the rudder looks good.
Some day I will dig out the prop and strut I destroyed years ago and grab a picture.
I think I still have it.
The prop looked like the incredible hulk got hold of it.
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2019 at 3:34pm
Call Woody at SOUTHEAST MARINE. Was Southeast Correct Craft back in the day. 407-851-1965
woodyelc
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2019 at 12:34am
Wow Paul .... and I thought my daughter did a number on mine 2 years ago   

I'm thinking your wife wins this one    
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2019 at 2:33pm
That’s what happens when the river current keeps making you miss lining up on the trailer. Then she got pissed whipped the boat around forgetting about the jetty rocks just under the surface.
Now the good part... She won’t load the boat anymore so she had to learn to back up the truck and trailer. She is now really good at it and I get to sit in the boat while she hikes to get the truck to load.
FLCaptain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2019 at 5:39pm
Do you recommend any local shops to check my Shaft? General Prop is increasingly hard to get to I think. I"m hoping to pull the shaft tomorrow or Friday. I'm in Orlando. I'd love to have someone local come look at it without pulling it. and just do the strut bearings. I got the old ones out. What do you think of the bearings on SKIDIM? Or do you guys get strut bearings and set screws elsewhere?
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2019 at 6:14pm
Pull off the prop, squirt some dish soap in the shaft bearing, fire it up, stick it in gear and look at it. If its bent you will see it. Look from the side for whip and focus on the lathe dimple for taper bends. Takes no time at all.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2019 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Pull off the prop, squirt some dish soap in the shaft bearing, fire it up, stick it in gear and look at it. If its bent you will see it. Look from the side for whip and focus on the lathe dimple for taper bends. Takes no time at all.

John,
You have good eyesight if you can see .003" runout!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2019 at 6:39pm
Pete are you daft? You think he can feel .003"???
QUOTE:
I’ll keep you posted. I’m weighing a 40 yr old boat with an ugly cast strut and the shakes with a new prop. So I’ll take all the suspects to them and see what turns up. Here’s the case:

I offered a way for him to prove in a minute if the shake is the shaft without pulling the goddamn thing.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2019 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

I checked mine this way and it was easy to see that it was bent. Looked like a dog wagging it's tail! It's a good way to do a coarse check after a bad hit. I actually checked mine while the boat was still in the water on a houseboat trip.
FLCaptain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2019 at 8:46pm
Well. The Daft comment makes me want a Guinness. That’s done. And delicious. So where do I get a new cutlass bearing because I’m gonna try Pete’s plan but the strut is laying on my workbench so I need to order a cutlass tonight. Bc I need to mount the strut, align the engine, mount the rebuilt carb, mount the new fuel pump and lines. Mount the rebuild from rawpumps.com for my old commander. And mount the replacement block pump for good measure. Then I’m gonna try Pete’s recommendation bc I’d rather ski than ship shafts all over Florida.

Y’all are gonna love the progression of this project. I’m an old former sea world skiier. Back in the 1995 range. Nothing special. Just in the right place at the right time. Now I want to raise my kids and our friends kids up for a shot at trying skiiing. So my daughter turns 8 in 2 months. I was 7 when I learned behind a 20hp John boat in old Florida. So the pressure is on to run this boat this year.

Up next year is maybe stinger replacement or at a minimum step cut glass work for platform support which I CAN teach as I’ve done it to an older 88 Nautique.

But for now I want it running and boom ready.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2019 at 8:54pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2019 at 10:14pm
Wow, pull the prop and look at the dimple. So simple I don't know why I never thought of this when I was doing mine.   It's got me wondering though ... would this work if you were just checking your shaft/ strut alignment vs checking for a bent shaft?
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
FLCaptain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2019 at 12:22am
Great. What size is a 79 Nautique. No instructions on the one a sawzawed out.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2019 at 12:48am
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Wow, pull the prop and look at the dimple. So simple I don't know why I never thought of this when I was doing mine.   It's got me wondering though ... would this work if you were just checking your shaft/ strut alignment vs checking for a bent shaft?

If you had a set of big ones, you could eyeball the dimple with the prop still on the shaft.

Really big ones and not much in the common sense department
FLCaptain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2019 at 1:00am
Ordered some new packing and bearings from SKIDIM. will load it up Friday and mount the strut with some 5200 and align the engine. If the eyeball wobble check passes I'll test out my new carb, cooling pumps and fuel pump for a spin. If its good , the boom goes on and carpet commences and the ski tower gets ordered. If its go the vibra-shakes, then the shaft departs for Bradenton and the carpet comes out for a refresh. But that sweet79 interior is not leaving.
FLCaptain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2019 at 1:00am
Ordered some new packing and bearings from SKIDIM. will load it up Friday and mount the strut with some 5200 and align the engine. If the eyeball wobble check passes I'll test out my new carb, cooling pumps and fuel pump for a spin. If its good , the boom goes on and carpet commences and the ski tower gets ordered. If its go the vibra-shakes, then the shaft departs for Bradenton and the carpet comes out for a refresh. But that sweet79 interior is not leaving.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2019 at 10:28am
I would dry-fit strut to verify alignment, as the 3m5200 is pretty messy to clean off if you need to add washers, etc.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2019 at 10:35pm
Another shade tree trick for you::

Get a 1" shaft zinc. With the shaft log (hose and gland) removed you can put the zinc on the shaft inside of the boat upon the shaft and it will keep the shaft still and centered in the shaft tube when setting the strut. The zinc anode is egg shaped and will self center in the tube. Keep spinning it when you tighten the bolts, An increase in rotational effort tells you that you fugged up before the glue dries.
Good luck man, we all been where you at!
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2019 at 11:59pm
Dry fit, yes. But I was thinking he should be using 4200 to mount the strut.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2019 at 9:15pm
I was able to procure a strut from a similar vintage SN. Looks like it was machined out of a piece of 304 stainless. The height and rake angle of the cutlass bore are good to go, and it fits in my recess, but the holes are offset by about 1/8-3/16”. Anything wrong with drilling through the hull to get the bolts through and fill in the gaps in the through hull holes with 4200?   I can see the old holes when I dry fit but there is no way the through bolts will fit as is. Wouldn’t be drilling totally “new” holes, basically just offsetting the old holes by less than a bolt diameter. The way I see it is that the wall of the hole in the hull shouldn’t be really where the load is, it should be on the bottom of the washers on the topside and the hull side of the strut.
1976 Martinique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2019 at 9:24pm
Cole,
Go ahead and drill the holes out and then use some larger washers in the bilge. Struts were never machined with precise holes in the base.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2019 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Cole,
Go ahead and drill the holes out and then use some larger washers in the bilge. Struts were never machined with precise holes in the base.

Thank you P Diddy. Glad I used 4200 last time...
1976 Martinique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic