Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Nautique 2001 Restomod

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Beg4Wake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beg4Wake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski Nautique 2001 Restomod
    Posted: April-02-2018 at 1:26pm
So my wife's father purchased this '89 Ski Nautique years ago for just $1500 and had plans to restore it. He dug into it and got the motor running nicely and then replaced the old wood stringers with some new fiberglassed stringers. That's about as far as he got before he put it up and never pulled it back out again. About a year ago, we all went in together and got him a 79 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes which was identical to his very first boat that he loved so much but couldn't ever find. The one we found was actually exactly 200#'s off of his original boats Hull ID/VIN! So once he got that boat, this Nautique took an even further back seat! Well he decided that some of the old boats around the farm needed to go and was going to sell this Nautique. I told him I would buy it from him, but he said if we just got it out of his shed, he would give it to us. So that became the birth of my new project! And a long/costly project this will be!! We pulled it out and took the old torn up tarp it was under off. A cat or two went scrambling out and God knows what else may have been living in there. We gave her a full rinse down trying to get all of the cat poop and urine smell out.....the smell however is going to take some more profound soap and scrubbing as well as some good ole sunny days to air out!! I originally planned to just restore this boat to its former glory, but then I remembered seeing the pics of N3's 88 Barefoot Nautique restomod and that quickly became my new obsession. Therefore, my plans now are to fully restore this boat to a NEW glory! We are shooting to make this boat a smaller version of my big G23! An old school look with some new school flare! But here is the beginning as I play to document this long journey!

PS.....if anybody has any good information or links to anything they may think would help me during this journey, please feel free to share!!! I already plan on utilizing ChristinesMarine.com and Nautiqueparts.com as well as the correctcraftfan.com and PlanetNautique.com forums for knowledge and parts!

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 1:51pm
What are you planning on modifying?

FYI, Christine's is no longer doing skin's, they sold all their patterns to C&S Marine.
Unless you are doing a restoration to original might be better off using a local reputable interior shop.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 1:51pm
Cool project.
Are you sure it's an '89?
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 2:06pm
Probably an 88' or older, dual exhaust
Beg4Wake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beg4Wake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Cool project.

Haha...We are trying to find the paperwork now! After doing some research, based on the grab handles I now believe it is an 86 or older. Wife's dad just seemed to recall it was an 89. We should know shortly in which I will update this thread!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Beg4Wake Beg4Wake wrote:

Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Cool project.

Haha...We are trying to find the paperwork now! After doing some research, based on the grab handles I now believe it is an 86 or older. Wife's dad just seemed to recall it was an 89. We should know shortly in which I will update this thread!

Yes, cool project! What's the HIN?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Beg4Wake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beg4Wake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 2:17pm
Here are some pictures of N3's restomodded '88 which I am using as a model for my restomod. The interior will be a full one off custom fairly similar to what's shown here in this 88 (maybe not AS intricate as this though - funds will be the determining factor there)!! I plan on getting rid of all of the remaining wood that I can. Probably try to fiberglass the floor entirely for longevity. Again, I am fairly new to this and will be learning/experimenting with everything along the way!! But I'm a huge DIY'er and love learning new things!

rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 6:08pm
It is an 85 or 86 with that stripe, dash, and hood scoop.

Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
Beg4Wake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beg4Wake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by rebel skier rebel skier wrote:

It is an 85 or 86 with that stripe, dash, and hood scoop.   

Yeah I'm thinking 86 based on the colors of the stripe (dark blue with the lighter blue pinstriping).
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Probably an 88' or older, dual exhaust

Pre 87 before the dash changed to pod type. Deck and gel strip point to a 1985/6 model

Come on Quinner no way Hollywood would have let you get away with that
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
philthy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 9:00pm
Where can I read more about that Barefoot? Specifically those hinged seats.

I'll be watching Brian's build also since we are building almost the same boat.
Troy Wiora
Senior Test Pilot
- www.AbusiveMotorSports.com</a>

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style8,all-spc-your-spc-base.png[
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 11:26pm
85 stripe goes all the way up in the back. It's an 86.

quinner is doing his best
Beg4Wake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beg4Wake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 10:24am
Yeah I'm 90% positive it's an 86. Def not an 87 as I believe they changed the bow design in 87 (the difference can be seen between my boat and the 88 from N3 that I posted above). I didn't get a chance to check it yesterday as we had a terrible thunderstorm here yesterday eveing. I am still learning a lot about these older boats! I just turned 35 and figured this would be a perfect project for somebody my age to familiarize myself with the heritage of my G23's ancestors!! I also just got done reading the "Parting the Waters" book about the history of Correct Craft/Nautique!! Great read!

As for the hinged seats... I'm definitely looking into those as well as upgrading the captains chair to the style of the newest Nautiques like in my G23. I know this is going to be extremely costly but I don't want to cheap out. I'd rather take my time and do this the way I want. I'm really hoping my dealer can work with me on getting a lot of the parts for this build such as the hinges on those bench seat which I believe are the same hinges from the newer G boats as well with the pull out folding seats. I also have a little connection myself at Nautique as I know Steve Carlton (kind of) who is the chief engineer/designer of the G series boats. Maybe he can help hook me up as well. I gotta be careful though that I don't get carried away right off the bat and make myself broke trying to do all of it asap...I have a tendency to do this!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 10:35am
FYI, ask if your dealer has any warranty take out parts. Nautique apparently makes more money than God so usually if it's an interior piece they do not require a returned part since that is all made in house. I have seen them warranty entire interiors because a piping color was wrong etc. Did not require any of it to be sent back.

Most of the pieces in that BFN were left over warranty parts or the costs of some of the seat assemblies (like the aluminum hinges and such) would have been absolutely ridiculous.

The speaker pockets in the back are fairly reasonably priced. All of the vinyl was ordered direct from Nautique. While pricey, the quality is great.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 10:41am
Also FYI, the new drivers seat is stupid expensive. The older model fits better in a smaller 2001 (that BFN has a much larger interior than your boat). I run the previous model seat in my boat with the flip up bolster (bolster us useless), but the seat is comfy and fits great,
Timr71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timr71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 12:16pm
I'm not sure which floor went into that BFN, but you can work with Gator Step to create a template for the floor pieces that you'll want/need after you fiberglass the floor. Good color options too. You can make that floor really pop. Good luck...following this restomod...pass the popcorn.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 2:06pm
Looks like a cool project in the making. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.
'92 Sport Nautique
Beg4Wake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beg4Wake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

FYI, ask if your dealer has any warranty take out parts. Nautique apparently makes more money than God so usually if it's an interior piece they do not require a returned part since that is all made in house. I have seen them warranty entire interiors because a piping color was wrong etc. Did not require any of it to be sent back.

Most of the pieces in that BFN were left over warranty parts or the costs of some of the seat assemblies (like the aluminum hinges and such) would have been absolutely ridiculous.

The speaker pockets in the back are fairly reasonably priced. All of the vinyl was ordered direct from Nautique. While pricey, the quality is great.

How close are you to N3? Is this boat in their showroom? I would LOVE to be able to get some more pics of the interior of this boat! I already have some great Ideas of what I want to do. Thanks though for the information! That's a great idea. I'll send my dealer an email now!
Beg4Wake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beg4Wake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Also FYI, the new drivers seat is stupid expensive. The older model fits better in a smaller 2001 (that BFN has a much larger interior than your boat). I run the previous model seat in my boat with the flip up bolster (bolster us useless), but the seat is comfy and fits great,

Yeah I was thinking that about the drivers seat. I knew it would be stupid expensive. Good thing is I still have the original seat bucket and mounting base and both are in good shape. I'll just have to construct a new seat bottom and re-upholster it all. I figured that's what I would be doing anyways to start just to save a little money.
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

85 stripe goes all the way up in the back. It's an 86.

Dang -- looked at my 85. You are correct. Never notice that difference before.
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2018 at 7:57pm
Sounds like a great project. Post lots of pics of the tear-down and rebuild because we all (mostly) like to see the progress! I'm in the middle of a semi-mod/resto myself with a completion I estimate to be early to mid June. I love doing this type of stuff, and it has a plus of keeping my spare time full. Only down side is this one is now on a very accelerated schedule from what I had originally planned. My wife is already asking what I'll be doing afterward, what project I'm going to take up next

Good luck and have fun!!   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Beg4Wake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beg4Wake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 11:16am
I'll definitely keep everything posted as it comes a long. I will add the disclaimer that this is going to be a slooooowwwww project! With lake season about to kick off here in VA, most of my spare time will be spent on the water! That and the fact that I don't have a full time garage to keep this in to steadily work on it (my C7 Vette takes up my single car garage), I'll be held back on getting a lot of stuff done.

My next step on this rebuild though is to tear out the ply wood floor that my father in law put in. It's not in horrible shape, but it only had a sealer paint applied to it (only thing he didn't fiberglass) and the boat wasn't exactly covered the best. And like I said, a family of cats and whatever else had been living in the boat! So I figured since I am going to fiberglass the floor, it's probably best to go ahead and replace it with brand new treated plywood. That way I know the base is good and strong and I'm 100% sure there will be no rot beneath the fresh fiberglass.

Questions:

1. Do you all think it is a good idea to go ahead and replace the floor with fresh plywood?

2. How many layers of what thickness fiberglass would you recommend? Keep in mind I plan to sand smooth and paint this flooring!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 11:25am
You do not fiberglass over treated wood.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2018 at 11:28am
There would have been no plywood on that floor to begin with – in the front part of the boat there would have been 1X boards under the seats but most of the boat was just fiberglass over foam.   I would remove the plywood in there for sure and see what is hiding under it. After that a boat that you are considering putting money into I wouldn't put any plywood into as a base – treated plywood doesn't take glass well unless it is super well dried out – like in the sun for months dried out. Untreated plywood needs to be super well sealed or it will be breached by water which will spread out along the layers and make for an unrepairable mess.   If you are going to smooth and paint the flooring there is no way I would even consider any wood as being the base.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Beg4Wake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beg4Wake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2018 at 11:08am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

There would have been no plywood on that floor to begin with – in the front part of the boat there would have been 1X boards under the seats but most of the boat was just fiberglass over foam.   I would remove the plywood in there for sure and see what is hiding under it. After that a boat that you are considering putting money into I wouldn't put any plywood into as a base – treated plywood doesn't take glass well unless it is super well dried out – like in the sun for months dried out. Untreated plywood needs to be super well sealed or it will be breached by water which will spread out along the layers and make for an unrepairable mess.   If you are going to smooth and paint the flooring there is no way I would even consider any wood as being the base.

Then what would you recommend laying down? Originally there were rotten pine planks over rotten stringers and soaked foam. That has all already been removed and replaced with new fiberglass stringers and foam and a new plywood deck that was then painted with a sealing type paint. I actually didn't mean treated plywood though, I meant BC plywood. Which is what I've seen installed in most floors before laying fiberglass. And I'm honestly asking what should be put down as a good base because this is my first project boat and I have no experience but can mostly figure anything out! I just want to make sure to put the right materials back down for a longer lasting base.
Beg4Wake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beg4Wake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2018 at 11:49am
Nevermind.....Just did some more research and I think I'll go back with Kay-cel.
Beg4Wake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beg4Wake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2018 at 11:55am
Or Coosa board
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2018 at 1:31pm
There are probably more ski boats from the 80s with plywood in the the floor than not. Not sure why Joe is saying a 2001 woundnt have had any as all I have seen actually did. Fiberglass over it and it well and it will probably outlive you.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2018 at 1:53pm
Better check that memory again... it wouldn’t have been ply from the (cc) factory.

Except that rear removable panel, of course.
Beg4Wake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beg4Wake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2018 at 2:59pm
Either way....Not 100% sure what was on the floor from the factory as it has already been replaced with marine plywood. The rear removable section is definitely plywood. That's the only original flooring left in the boat. In all honesty, what's in there now is probably perfectly fine if I just grind/sand all of the marine sealant paint off and then I can resin and fiberglass it...maybe?! I do plan on taking the boat very soon to the body shop I am having to the work to get their input on the matter as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic