Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

velvet drive 10-17-001 vs 003

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
outerbanked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outerbanked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: velvet drive 10-17-001 vs 003
    Posted: March-12-2018 at 11:26pm
What is the stock velvet drive for a 1987 sn2001?
001 or 003?

Trying to answer my question I have found a lot of great info from Eric Lavine and others on this site. In the "Velvet Drive...Not so Velvety..."

"typically about 30 percent of Borg Warner failures are snapped reverse clutch plates and the 2 main reasons they snap are: 1-torsional problem..engine miss, bad damper,to high of a shift
2- plates are made from brass, to alleviate the brass problem, i use a steel hubbed reverse plate
thats why I always mention if anyone can, switching to a 10-17-003 or 004, it utilizes 2 reverse clutch plates instead of 1 like the AS1 series but....they still snap"

During a rebuild, can you swap out the 001's reverse pack to a modified 003 like Eric described above & in a July 3 2007 post?

Is this what they are talking about here:
"Perfectly normal. Use the 2-inner and 1-outer in replacement for the one fiber/disc."
http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30527&KW=&PID=397201&title=tranny-reverse-disc#397201

Thank you
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2018 at 9:28am
Borg Warner like most every company making most anything made improvements over the years and one of those improvements was the reverse clutches.

The 10-17-001 was basically the same as the AS-71C and most models had 1 reverse clutch plate and a pressure plate. There was a heavy duty version called a AS-71CB which was for diesels and other heavy duty applications and had the extra plates like a 72C or 10-18 did and like Eric talked about.

The 71 series was an improvement on the earlier 70 series for other reasons too like the number of forward clutch plates

Eventually they discontinued the 10-17 001 and replaced it with the 10-17-003 which also has the extra plates.

There are a whole lot of different versions too like for example a 10-17-004 which is the same as the 003 but came from the factory with the pump oriented for a normal rotating engine. So different part numbers even though you could easily turn one into the other by changing the pump orientation.

Confusing ? Yup but that's progress

You can't just stuff an extra plate into the 001 or it'll be all bound up and constipated and stuck in reverse. If you could , Eric wouldn't have been telling people to get a newer transmission.

Somebody recently put an extra plate in his 71C and had the problem mentioned above

So......what's in your 87? The 003 was most likely the stock installation

If it's an 001, it's not like it's a piece of junk.

When it's rebuild time you make sure it gets a metal reverse clutch plate if it had a fiber one in there.

The fiber ones break easier and lead to no reverse, usually when you really need it

Plenty of the earlier 71c and earlier 10-17's with lots of hours and no issues.

I could add more but it would then be totally confusing

You could talk to Fantastic Finish or maybe the new old guy Joe who says he'll be checking the forum will see this and have something to add or tell me I'm all screwed up on something.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2018 at 9:33am
Here's a link to what happens when you put in too many reverse plates

link

And a link to the thread about FFM and who's running it now. Send him an e mail or let your fingers do the walking with a phone call.

link
outerbanked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outerbanked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2018 at 4:56pm
Thank you Keno!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic