NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

83 New Stringers & Floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 9>
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

I said in other post that these boats were cheaply built, in the day, bayliner quality with premium price.   

Try measuring some stuff and you will see that they boat isn't symmetrical at all.   Gunnels on either side are different widths . I made template of one side to have seadeck pads made and flipped the template to other side and it wasn't even close.    My engine box isn't symmetrical either.   look at the facets at the rear of your engine box and you will see they are different on each side.
Drilled lag bolts into a wood stringer and didn't even try to seal them. Cut holes in wood stringers and didn't seal. on and on.   When I was a kid we believed the CC to be a far superior built boat, well they were not.    

Agreed, back in the late 70's I worked up the street from CC and was down there alot when I was redoing my 1st SN. Things were much more laid back(good ole boy style). Used to just go in the back and "hang" with the boys of CC.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

The glass on one side was almost 3/8 " thick while the other was like 1/8".

The hull or the glass tabbing in the wood?

The tabbing...
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I have have good luck using an oscillating tool to shave off layers, might work on the rotted ply.

As you might fiqure all the wood there is good, dry/strong, but will try that also.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

I said in other post that these boats were cheaply built, in the day, bayliner quality with premium price.   

Your still nuts - I was rebuilding the interior structure of mid eighties vintage I/os and obs from the likes of bayliner, galaxy, mark twain, etc all through the 90s for the summer camp I worked at.   We had the boats because they were typically donated boats with low hours from wealthy owners who upgraded the first time they needed bellows or a starter. At the time I though I was really living compared to the 60s era 40hp boats I grew up with as we could actually pull more than one skier, or a skier on less than two skis. But man they were all real junk - chopper strand hulls the stringers and floors were made of ply wood stapled together and the seats and interior pieces made in many cases of OSB - the years old and you could reach in the ski locker and remove rotten bulkheads by the handful.   

Forget about the seats, hinges would be falling out in minutes when wet kids were getting in and out the boats... easy enough to replace all the rotten frames with treated plywood, harder trying to find someplace in the floor that would hold a screw to put them back in to get you through a season.   When you pulled it apart at the end of the season and pulled out the floor then good luck trying to find anything to hold down a new one or to even sister a board too - rot follows plywood right down the grain. Again these boats were at most 10 years old. Forget about the differences between the vinyl, gauges, controls - just because a boat isn't constructed with techniques and materials that weren't even in existence at the time - or built by hand by a master ship wright doesn't mean its a bayliner.   35 years later most 2001 hulls are still more than capable of pulling skiers safely and happily for another 20 years, even if the floors are spongy.

As to symmetry and tolerances on hull design - by the 2001 era bayliner probably had the upper hand on most as they had some of the first computer designed boats and cnc produced molds - its hard to compete with high volume.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 2:31pm
CC had been building fiberglass boats for 23 years when mine was built, 1983.   I believe msrp on my 83 was almost 19k.   I would expect way better for the price and experience than what we got.   
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 3:36pm
I expect lots of things but what other boat made in 1983 for that kind of money would have been better?   Cadillac had been making cars 81 years in 1983 do you think the base Eldorado you could have gotten for 19k in 1983 would have been a better investment at this point?     
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2018 at 7:37am

The glass on one side was almost 3/8 " thick while the other was like 1/8".

The hull or the glass tabbing in the wood?

The tabbing...

Plenty for tabbing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2018 at 9:02am

I read that if left on trailer it needs to be blocked??

Can someone explain how and where should I put the supports if it is still on trailer?.

Also I saw a pic on here somewhere that had jack stand under trailer near axle.

I'm working in a open barn with dirt floor if that would help with explination..

Thanks
JT
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2018 at 10:36pm
Just popped a section of secondary stringer out and it looks like CC used white glue to attach to floor...
Will try and get a picture tomorrow if it quits raining and can get up there and do some work
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2018 at 3:11pm
Looks like white glue.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2018 at 3:54pm
JT, most use PL construction adhesive to do initial stringer bond to the hull, its cheep , elastomeric and easy to use.   
Be sure to re construct old stringer to use as template.   before final bond of new one I recommend dry fitting the old one to verify hull retained its shape.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2018 at 7:39pm

Looks like white glue.

John,
What kind of PVA glue are you using that's that thick?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2018 at 8:21pm

Looks like white glue.

John,

Not using any glue. That was part of the stringer that I got out and was saying it looked like CC used white glue to install stringer.
I havn't started removing stringers yet this just kinda popped out with the foam.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2018 at 9:04pm

Looks like white glue.

John,

Not using any glue. That was part of the stringer that I got out and was saying it looked like CC used white glue to install stringer..

John,
Let me state the question differently. First, I know you aren't using any white glue on the stringer project. What kind of PVA (white glue) HAVE you used that's that thick?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2018 at 9:28pm

Looks like white glue.

John,

Not using any glue. That was part of the stringer that I got out and was saying it looked like CC used white glue to install stringer..

John,
Let me state the question differently. First, I know you aren't using any white glue on the stringer project. What kind of PVA (white glue) HAVE you used that's that thick?

Told y'all from the getgo I'm just a country boy(74), and sometimes the stairs don't go all the way to the top---LOL

But back when I did Taxidermy I did use a white glue I made up that was like thick molasses
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2018 at 9:50pm
Question-
I finally got all the wood out of the stringers(doing the pour type)-WAPITA..
Now my back is out so will be awhile..
The question; How do I get the exhaust tubes out,are they glassed in??
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 4:39pm
Still not able to work on boat. It is just sitting on trailer with everything out. Tried a couple places but either too busy or don't want to do it.
How long can it sit on trailer with no stringers????
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 9:54pm
Still trying to find someone to put stringers in; I guess if not soon may just sell it..
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2018 at 6:25pm
Another question that I may have already asked.
Anyone have the measurements on the rear lift eye section under the gunnel?
How thick is the plywood that the angle iron mounts to?
Also the length from the bottom of gunnel to the angle iron.

A note finally got someone to work on the stringers...was just about to sell it....
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2020 at 12:32am
UPDATE:-Been a while
Found my old post so will stay here.
Finally got boat back with new floor and stringers and started working in rear and have to replace blower and hoses. Found most online but can't seem to find this thing where the hoses connect to the white things

Also is there another blower up front I see wires going in under the 2 Black vents
Nautique Newby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 1:50am
If you're talking about the wires going to the black housing with the fresh air inlets/outlets under the bow then that should be the horn. That's where the horn is on my '82 2001.

I've never seen a replacement for that black plastic housing and hubs on any nautique parts sites. That may be one of those unobtainium parts like the windshield side vent thats missing on my boat. I cannot find a replacement. Looks like you could fabricate a replacement if you cant buy one.
I hope I don't screw this up!
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 6:14pm
Urgent Help Needed:
Back a year or so ago when I removed the wiring harness from boat I took a picture of behind dash showing how wires were run.
Thought pics were backed up when HD crashed months ago-NOPE
Ihave gone through every picture on this pc and it is missing a lot of the 83 teardown.
Anyone have a 83 that could take a pic from behind the dash it would really be a big help. I have a diagram off the internet but very cornfusing as I have more or less wires than what is showing.
Thanks for any help with this.
JT
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2020 at 9:55pm
Shoot me your text via pm and I will shoot you tons of pics from a 78. Think they would be close.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2020 at 3:08pm
Question on rudder mount ; can I use 5200 sealer or something else looks like CC used putty??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2020 at 4:03pm

Question on rudder mount ; can I use 5200 sealer or something else looks like CC used putty??

I'd go with 4200. Just in case you ever need to remove it, it will be easier. Small tubes are available.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 1:15pm
Another question:
Since I had all these components (steering and throttle control) out of boat thought I'd repaint re-grease.
Can I use bearing grease in the Morse throttle box and cable also in the steering???
Didn't want to make a trip into town with the Stay at Home orders.
Be Safe
JT
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 2:13pm

Can I use bearing grease in the Morse throttle box and cable also in the steering???
JT

I don't feel the Morse is fussy on what type of grease is used.
The cable shouldn't need any lube.
Steering? The rudder port?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 4:24pm
Thanks
You talking of the steering cable? It looks pretty bad (the part that is sticking out), maybe just clean 40+years of gunk.
The rudder & shaft-I'm replacing the bearings once I drill out those set screws that I can get out..
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 4:30pm
Not a very good pic-New floor and Stringers- not as fancy as some ,but budget held me back. Should last another 30 years.....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2020 at 4:39pm

Thanks
You talking of the steering cable? It looks pretty bad (the part that is sticking out), maybe just clean 40+years of gunk.
The rudder & shaft-I'm replacing the bearings once I drill out those set screws that I can get out..

Clean the cable and see how it moves.

Set screws where? The coupling at the trans? The coupling to the shaft is a press/shrink fit. While it's out of the boat, now's the time to get it into an arbor hydraulic press.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic