NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Went ahead a bought it..

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Went ahead a bought it..
    Posted: February-17-2018 at 8:45pm
Hey guys just picked up a 1983 SN which looks great compared to the others I looked at priced from $4500 to $5500...
I got it for $1700 due to the tire blew and broke the springs(another post), on the way home.
I knew it had bad floor on pass.side, but how is the best way to get into that area? I used a cutter tool and cut out a square( the glass looks to be 1/4" or better).
The carpet must glued in with fiberglas as I can't get it up at all..
What is a good tool to use in that floor?
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2018 at 8:52pm
We used a circular saw set to the thickness of the floor to cut out. If you aren’t redoing your stringers just don’t go too deep. That plywood should just rip up. If getting it from the wall and want to get closer than the circular will allow, go with an angle grinder.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2018 at 8:52pm
Oh and congrats. Pics please!!
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2018 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

Hey guys just picked up a 1983 SN which looks great compared to the others I looked at priced from $4500 to $5500...
I got it for $1700 due to the tire blew and broke the springs(another post), on the way home.
I knew it had bad floor on pass.side, but how is the best way to get into that area? I used a cutter tool and cut out a square( the glass looks to be 1/4" or better).

John,
I made this suggestion several days ago. Have you had the chance to do some reading??

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
Check out the FAQ thread in the maintenance section Lot's of links to great topics with answers.   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2018 at 10:07pm

John,
I made this suggestion several days ago. Have you had the chance to do some reading??

John,
Check out the FAQ thread in the maintenance section Lot's of links to great topics with answers.   

I have read so much I'm bout cross-eyed..
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2018 at 10:15pm
The last I read was the 1980 restore thread .. How did you get the carpet out in one piece????
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2018 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

Oh and congrats. Pics please!!

Soon as I figure out HOW??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2018 at 9:58am
John,
For picture posting, ether use the "post reply" or click on the "full reply editor" icon Then you will get an icon of a tree with an up arrow. Clicking it will bring up a browse box allowing you to select anything off your computer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2018 at 11:08am
[/IMG]
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2018 at 11:16am
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2018 at 11:38am
John,
Glad you were able to figure out the posting of pictures. Keep them coming with your progress with the 2001. Have you been able to check the stringer condition? Regarding getting the carpet out in one piece, it's nearly impossible. Besides saying the old for a rough pattern, new carpet should be considered.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2018 at 11:59am
couple questions
Is this supposed to look this way:
[/IMG]
Will a 71 Ski pole fit this boat or can the eye be removed??
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2018 at 12:12pm
Short answer:   no
I would want it sealed up
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2018 at 12:14pm
John,
Post a picture of the log inside the hull. To me, it looks like a PO tried to seal/bed it back in after it broke loose from the hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2018 at 12:18pm
The soft floor appears to be the tip of the iceberg. Rare that the rot stops there. Don't be surprised if the stringers are rotten too.   Mine were.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2018 at 2:31pm

John,
Post a picture of the log inside the hull. To me, it looks like a PO tried to seal/bed it back in after it broke loose from the hull.

[/IMG]
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2018 at 2:34pm
Started cutting more floor out and both stringers up front passenger side are rotten
Gonna call some places around here that do boat work and price out before I decide to do it myself
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2018 at 3:07pm
Will a 71 Ski pole fit this boat or can the eye be removed and put on this pole??
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2018 at 5:42pm
71 is a smaller diameter pylon. It will not be a direct fit.

I have an 85 pylon complete and in good shape available. Get me your phone number in a PM and I'll send pics.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2018 at 5:06pm
Question on stringers as I can't see pics for now. When the top of stringer is all rotted out, how do you now where the cutouts are?
As I started cutting out the floor in the 83 I haven't found wood yet, just 1/4" thick fiberglas then dirty wet stuff and foam....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2018 at 12:12am

Question on stringers as I can't see pics for now. When the top of stringer is all rotted out, how do you now where the cutouts are?
As I started cutting out the floor in the 83 I haven't found wood yet, just 1/4" thick fiberglas then dirty wet stuff and foam....

The wood may be rotted but the old glass covering the stringers should be intact.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2018 at 1:30am
I keep seeing pictures of boats with floor/stringers removed, but can't seem to find a 83. What years would be close to the same?
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2018 at 1:32am

The wood may be rotted but the old glass covering the stringers should be intact.

I saw the sides of the stringer but there was no glass on top,
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2018 at 10:16am

I keep seeing pictures of boats with floor/stringers removed, but can't seem to find a 83. What years would be close to the same?

82-88
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic