Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

LED Lights Behind the Comming Pads

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED Lights Behind the Comming Pads
    Posted: January-30-2018 at 1:44pm

I would Like to change the lights behind the coming pads on my 1999 196. I am worried about them being too bright and lasting. Has anyone messed around with doing this and could give their experiences and what LED Product they used?

Thanks!

3 months until May!!!!!

Otto
Otto
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2018 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Otto Throttle Otto Throttle wrote:

I would Like to change the lights behind the coming pads on my 1999 196. I am worried about them being too bright and lasting. Has anyone messed around with doing this and could give their experiences and what LED Product they used?

Thanks!

3 months until May!!!!!

Otto

Series connect both sides so they see half the volts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2018 at 2:31pm
Pete,

If I am remembering correctly from my engineering days, a LED will have a constant voltage drop, say around 0.7V. If the voltage difference is less than that, no light. If it is greater than that, light. Increasing the voltage doesn't change the brightness, current does.

So, if you connect them all in series, the last ones will get less voltage, and either be on or off.

If you want to change the brightness, I think you need to reduce the current. Using V=IR, this can be figured out...But it's probably just easier to buy LEDs designed for a specific voltage and brightness.
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2018 at 2:39pm
True story. Time to study up on your “electrics” Pete!

I installed some LED rope lights under the tunnels of my BFN last year. Not much time on them yet but my initial impression of their quality was good. Brightness is fine- they are not overwhelming. There are a number of available sources online, I got mine from CB Concepts.

http://www.cbconcept.com/12vledropelight.aspx
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2018 at 2:44pm
I replaced the old fashioned mini bulbs with LED strips in our boat. Worked fine. No issues. Simply wired up the LED strips to the existing light connections and all worked as it should have.

I know I posted pics on here somewhere.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2018 at 2:51pm
That is exactly what i want to do. Just get some small LED pod or courtesy lights and install them where the current lights are.

How many LED's in the light....2, 3, 4??? Who has used what and what results were had. I just don't want blinding light. The boat is Burgandy so I will use red LED's.

Thanks everyone...photos would be great if you have them!
Otto
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2018 at 3:00pm
The LED rope lighting looks similar to the factory incandescent rope lighting in my dad’s former ‘92. A small diode every 2” maybe? I used 10’ under each gunnel.

Picture here if you have the photobucket fix installed.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16014&PN=29&title=another-bfn-rebuild
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2018 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Time to study up on your “electrics” Pete!

Tim,
There's no need for me to study. My ADD kicked in and I completely missed that the original lights used by CC we LED. I should have waited for you to answer Otto's question since I remember what a fantastic job you did with your lighting under the gunnels. Thanks for your help.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2018 at 4:04pm
Went the led rope light route and am happy with the results. Not quite as intense as photo suggests.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2018 at 4:10pm
Thank you so much for the Pictures!!   You put those behind the coming pads, up where the factory ones are? Also how did you mount those? I noticed in the ad it says you can cut them....how did they connect electrically?   That looks nice and gives the affect i am looking for!!!!
Otto
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2018 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Went the led rope light route and am happy with the results. Not quite as intense as photo suggests.

Careful Larry... the light strips/tape are not the same as rope lighting. The latter encapsulates the led strips in a more robust, sealed (waterproof) tubing. The strips can be had pretty inexpensively but I suspect the rope will hold up in the marine environment a little better.

Pete, the title of the thread indicates LED- no cc knowledge necessary.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2018 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

. Pete, the title of the thread indicates LED- no cc knowledge necessary.

Thanks again for your help and your knowledge about newer CC's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2018 at 7:28pm
Can you share your mounting tips...e.g. where underneath you mounted them....how you mounted them...securing them every "x" inches...

Are you sure they are not too bright when you run them at night?
Otto
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2018 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Otto Throttle Otto Throttle wrote:

.Are you sure they are not too bright when you run them at night?

pulse width modulation dimmer for LED's

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2018 at 9:44pm
The stuff on a roll that Larry posted, I haven't used on my boat yet, but use under the lip or our swimming pool, and it's on the upper lip of our RV as well. They are sealed well, and hold up to the elements perfectly fine. THey also have 3M double sided tape already installed on the back, so you just peel off the backing, and stick it wherever you want. Another cool thing is you can cut the roll stuff any length you want..lights a little too long, just cut them off the length you want.

They are great IMO

'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2018 at 1:26am
Bright white LED's may be more than you will want depending on their output and color temp.   6500K is very bright/ white while 4500 is more like the old "soft white" incandescents.   If you're desiring a soft mood light many different colors are available. Strip lights can be used, yes, but with an LED every 3-4" this can be a bit overpowering as well unless you are wanting to light the deck. Small, 2 to 5 diode lights work well for mood lighting and can draw only about an eighth of the power +/- (given the size/ quantity of diodes)
The average life of good quality LED's is between 40,000 and 50,000 hours so .... suffice to say I don't think you'll have to worry about that for a very long time, if ever.

For my comming lighting I chose simple 5 diode BLUE's, similar to the ones below. But research thoroughly, some of the Chinese imported stuff is not very good). Just be very sure to purchase SEALED, WATERPROOF units.

I also installed a couple of bright white ones in the ski hold/ storage and under the dash, swapped the bulbs in the nav and anchor with LED replacements and all the bulbs in the gauges were swapped with blue LED's as well.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2018 at 10:55am
Chris, was that me you were asking about mounting or Tim? If me, here is how I mounted mine.   Although they do have the sticky backs as reported, I doubt they are sticky enough to stick to the rough fiberglass under the gunnel, My boat has, not sure if the bigger or newer ones have, fiberglass supports scattered along under the gunnel.

(again, the photography makes it appear a little more intense that it actually is)

I stuck a 1/2 inch pvc frame in those supports and then stuck LED tape to those. I reinforced on regular intervals with zip ties. I have two, one down each side and half way across under the deck. They have wire terminals to hook up. I didnt want mine on all the time the running lights are on so they are on their own switch, hidden under the deck.   I understand what Tim was saying about durability compared to the rope lights . Just have to wait and see. Time will tell. I mounted mine early last summer and they survived one season. Like them so much, I have a coordinated set in the house, now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2018 at 6:15pm
OMG those are awesome pictures and awesome advice from both of you! What brand of the five LED lights did you go with? (The ones you attached are chinese as I went shopping right away) I am just looking for a little added light while running without being too bright. Also where do you find replacement lightbulbs for the Nav lights, stern lights, and instrument lights that are LED’s? I assume they are direct fit bulbs? My boats primary color is red so I would love to have red lights in the gages too! Ilove the idea of using half-inch conduit to put the LED tape on. I can use that at round the hose like you did! I appreciate all of the advice and guidance!
Otto
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2018 at 1:33am
I didn't buy the comming lights from Amazon, they were from an online marine supply (and American made) as was the NAV light replacement - I'll have to search for the link. But the ones I linked may not be bad as not all Chinese manufacturers make bad products - quite the opposite in fact. As with most things, a few bad apples always seem to ruin the batch!   The "cheap" ones I was referring to merely have an issue with their waterproof/ water resistance and thus may not last nearly as long in a wet environment.

The dash LED's were purchased from Amazon though and quite possibly of Chinese origin. Most of the older gauge lights are one standard size, T-10, although occasionally a smaller T-5. Both are available in LED replacements in a multitude of colors. Cost is very negligible with these so replacement is only a matter of the time it takes to pull the dash and replace one. Having said that, even the generic Chinese bulbs have been very reliable - I've had a complete set in my truck for many years and haven't had the need to replace them even once.

Stern anchor LED is a bit more illusive but I happened to find one at our local Authority Sports.

Dash LEDs
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2018 at 2:48am
I am interested in installing some LED under the gunnels in my Martinique. Do I need to buy anything other than the strip of lights themselves? Any connectors, switches, converters, etc?

Are there wires on the end of the strips to connect them to the boat wiring? I'm a bit confused on all that. Never messed with these before.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2018 at 10:34am
As far as the sticky tape LEDs like I used, (see ad above) they came with short wire leads (maybe a couple inches long). So you would need some extra wire. As mentioned above, I did not want them tied to my running lights, so I also had an extra switch in the mix (hidden under the dash, not mounted in the dash) Maybe you have an aux switch in the dash you could use. 12 volts, no converter needed. They did come with some terminal block you could use, but I didnt see a need for it.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2018 at 11:35am
I just bought the same ones you have Larry. I will give it a go and see what happens. Sounds pretty straight forward. I do have an aux switch on the boat. I just hope I don't have to pull the bulkhead back out to get to it! That would be the worst part of the job.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2018 at 2:09am
Love the LED's. They really make the interior come alive. The wiring part of the install was very easy. It was more difficult getting the 1/2" PVC pipe substrate all situated and secured. Also, there was an ACC switch on the dash with a tidy little roll of wire behind the dash attached to the ACC switch. Thank you Correct Craft!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic