Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Converting to disk brakes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TIRacing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converting to disk brakes
    Posted: January-28-2018 at 7:04pm
Does anyone have experience adding hydraulic disk brakes to a CC trailer? Mine is a 1986 and I am moving to the mountains so I will be trailering down very long grades and I think I.need to add brakes. I hear good things about the hydraulic disk kits but not sure how much is involved it adding them to my trailer. Any help is appreciated.
Mark Hein
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2018 at 7:17pm
Here is a good reference.

They discuss electric brakes which is interesting.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2018 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by TIRacing TIRacing wrote:

Does anyone have experience adding hydraulic disk brakes to a CC trailer?. Any help is appreciated.

Just received my second set this week. Installed first set on my 78 Mustang trailer that I just built and this set is going on a trailer for my Ranger bass boat. Great people to deal with. Google them and talk to John. He will beat the e-bay price and knock some off of the shipping. Don't think you can beat the price.

Disc Brakes
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
TIRacing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIRacing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2018 at 9:09pm
Thank you for the info. Is the installation pretty stairght forward? It appear my trailer had brake mount flanges already installed from the factory so hopefully it is pretty much a bolt on addition.
Mark Hein
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2018 at 9:27pm
Very good instructions. Need to add steel lines from front to calipers.   Having flanges already there is a plus. They even supply bolts. Afternoon job.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2018 at 9:34pm
That's a great price. My set was much more expensive swapping the broken and missing drums on a 91 BFN trailer for discs.
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2018 at 4:09am
I'll be converting mine to kodiak integral stainless disc that comes with bearings,pads, titan tounge coupler 7500lb, Will let you know how it goes looked like good warranty and best ones out there. Drums are OLD technology many fail points and disc has less moving parts. not cheap but heat kills everything.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2018 at 6:19pm
I think it is important to buy a trailer coupler that is designed to work with disc brakes rather than drum brakes. I think drum brake systems maintain a little pressure when off the brakes and the disc system releases all pressure. They may use different size pistons in the master cylinder for more pressure.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2018 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I think it is important to buy a trailer coupler that is designed to work with disc brakes rather than drum brakes. I think drum brake systems maintain a little pressure when off the brakes and the disc system releases all pressure. They may use different size pistons in the master cylinder for more pressure.

Yes - Pistons and actuators are different. They need to be matched to discs or drums, not either.
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2018 at 8:55pm
yep got that covered pressure is definitely higher, pretty sure 2 of bolt holes are same not sure about 3rd one yet. Atwood is no more just got bought by Lippert.

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake_Actuator/Titan/T4606520.html
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2018 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by rosconole rosconole wrote:

yep got that covered pressure is definitely higher, pretty sure 2 of bolt holes are same not sure about 3rd one yet. Atwood is no more just got bought by Lippert.

etrailer actuator.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2018 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by rosconole rosconole wrote:

etrailer actuator.

Pete, we're gonna have to start calling you the missing link sine your link don't work. You should use the preview feature and actually try your link before posting.

Here's one that does   

the non missing link
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2018 at 12:40pm
I replaced my old/tired drum brakes with disk brakes 2 years ago. Great trailer upgrade in my opinion.

I bought a Titan disk brake kit from etrailer.com   I had to change out the surge actuator for a disk brake specific application. No big deal as the old drum brake actuator was shot. I also used this opportunity to change out all the grease seals and wheel bearings.

My trailer was built by DHL Enterprises -- dual axles (3,500 pound rating each) with #84 spindles. The disk brake kit bolted right up with no issues. I decided to install new brake lines all the way from the new actuator back to the axles.

I wish I'd done this years ago...

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2018 at 2:57am
I guess copy and paste is too difficult these days for some people! I got new brake line as well, the extra pressure and 20 years it might be time! Mine is single 5200-6000 . I got the 7500 lb rated tounge because 4100 -/+ dry is probably pretty close to 5000 limit on the smaller one they offer for me on a BFN
. I did something similar on my car trailer and used 2 5/16 cast iron hitch like most horse trailers and makes it so much more durable than the flimsy stamped thin steel many use. . when your rolling 76mph in the heat not a time to skimp,
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2018 at 12:11am
A little teaser pic
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic