NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM 40a rotation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM 40a rotation
    Posted: December-07-2017 at 2:17pm
Realize the 40a lets a standard (LH) rotation engine turn the prop clockwise (RH).
Question: is the 40a's rotation reversible?
Looks like the 'replacement' 80a is not.
Thanks
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 2:35pm
I highly doubt it - I have seen no indication of arrows or other marks to allow the pump to be indexed for reversal of the input - service manual doesn't cover it either.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 2:38pm
Wasn’t there an oddball RH/1.23 (LH Prop) that came up a year or 2 ago? Brendella maybe? I think he was trying to run a 541 or some such nonsense.

Edit: http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30371
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 3:05pm
Here's the link to what Tim posted.

I don't have much experience with PCM 40A transmissions, but they are reversible.

Don't know if they all have arrows on the front cover of the oil pump but the ones I've seen did. 2 real long arrows pointing in different directions.

So you could run a RH engine turning a LH prop, but somebody will probably come along and tell you it'll be lousy handling and ride tilted to the drivers side
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 3:09pm
I guess I stand corrected, I didn't see any arrows on the 2006 dish vintage but I do have a couple of older one sitting in the shop that are accessible I will try to remember to take some pictures of later
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 4:12pm
Here's a front shot of a PCM 40A that was not taken by me.

It and the paint cans may look familiar to KRoundy though. It came from his post and blog about his transmission leak.

Couple of arrows and also markings for UP by the arrows.

I think that was a 94 or so.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 4:14pm
Nice. Thanks for the replies and good info.
Like to put into my newly acquired '81 with blown 71c.
Like to keep motor (good) as RH (as it is now).
Should work out.
Thanks again.
Now, to find one.....
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 4:27pm
So you'll have a RH engine hooked to a PCM 1.23 to 1 turning a LH prop when you're done.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 4:37pm
Hope to end up with original '81 (RH) motor running the 40a 'reversed' so that the prop is still turning RH...

Maybe it doesn't work out that way
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Hope to end up with original '81 (RH) motor running the 40a 'reversed' so that the prop is still turning RH...

All the hoping in the world won't make that happen.

It's not possible

I suppose it is possible if you use the weak reverse clutches to drive the boat forward and the strong forward clutches to go backwards but you won't get very far and you'll be looking for another transmission.

I'd fix the Borg Warner

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 5:02pm
Yep, they are reversible. The new 80 is not.

Don't even bother with the 1.23. They do make a 40A 1:1 but why not just A) fix your existing trans or B) source a proper replacement BW and save yourself a bunch of headaches?

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 6:07pm
Yes the 40 is reversible. however it must be fastened up to a RR engine to turn the output shaft left. We just ran into that with a old ski Brendella.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 7:08pm
Guess I'll rebuild the 71c.
Always like the level engine/added 'grunt' that the 1.23 provides...
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2017 at 10:36pm
Kevin thinks, "Hey, those paint cans look familiar"... Two summers of use - no leaks. :)
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic