NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Back in a CC SN.....at last

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back in a CC SN.....at last
    Posted: December-05-2017 at 7:04pm
Back in CC.

Bought 1st SN in 1981 ('76 SN) then 4 various SN, last one ("95) sold in 2003).

Found this '81 for rock bottom price. 1 owner since new. But for the driver's seat and observer and rear seat cushion upholstery, everything is original. And works.
Stored indoors since day one.

Dirty, oil leaks and runs rough, but still....

Pics to come
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2017 at 7:11pm
I'm sorry your wood died, That is so sad.

Pics of new boat and congratulations!
I just took the annual family poll of keep or sell the SN not 20 minutes ago. Results? 100% keep yet again. She lives to ride another season!
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2017 at 12:42am
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

But for the driver's seat and observer and rear seat cushion upholstery, everything is original. And works

...almost.   Pulled engine/trans this afternoon to poke around. Transmission partially seized up, smells like burned clutches.

So wondering...anyone put a PCM 40a (or 80a) 1.23 trans in an early SN?

Realize it's no bolt-in (mounts, shaft log, shaft length, strut, ???), but I like the idea.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2017 at 1:26am
Joe did it in his 83. No changes to shaft log,strut or their position's. Rear mounts and shortened shaft are needed . It's all here in his writeup pages 6,7 maybe more. He might see this as well and advise.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2017 at 6:38am
How I did it in a gen 2 SN
Switching to a PCM 1,23 drive has lowered the front of the engine by 3'3/4in, as for stringer height off the hull I would now shoot for 7in(mine are at 6'1/2) to underside of mounts at the front( note PCM have 3 sizes of engine block mounts for Chevy I'm using the short) and 6in to the underside of the rear mounts.
If your going to use a cradle you need to take the thickness off along with the drain tray from the above sizes and all sizes are from engine side of stringers.
The prop shaft will need to be shortened by 4in all sizes are working off a distance from end of the log to the coupling of 6'3/4 which leave room to fit a PSS seal and places the engine where its always been but lower.

Thanks for saving another gen 2 SN
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2017 at 10:39am
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

So wondering...anyone put a PCM 40a (or 80a) 1.23 trans in an early SN?

Realize it's no bolt-in (mounts, shaft log, shaft length, strut, ???), but I like the idea.

The biggest change is that you would need a standard rotation lh engine and your boat originally came with a reverse rotation rh engine... and you will need a new prop.   They are good transmissions but its much cheaper to use the velvet drive unless you already need all the other stuff..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic