NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1963 Correct Craft Atom Skier

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 6>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2017 at 7:28pm
Don,
The fuel tank being disconnected I'm sure was for better access to the aft and the rudder port. The port is the piece of brass with 4 holes in it and a packing nut on the top. BTW, the straps to hold the tank in are also missing. CC typically would have used the perforated metal strapping typically used to hang plumbing pipes.

How about some pictures of the motor box? Some call them the "dog house"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2017 at 8:55pm
You mentioned never bleaching wood so here's an interesting article on wood bleaches that you may find interesting. I have always used the two part bleach.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 6:55pm
Thanks. I happened to see that same article yesterday while surfing the web.
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 7:08pm
Thanks for the info on the fuel tank. I was not aware of the plumbers strap. Lost in the shuffle somewhere. I am adding a few photos of the engine cover. The before picture is the only one I have. The rest are after I did some sanding. I am ordering some stripper and interlux stain today.
Front, Side, Back and top view.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 7:23pm
Don,
From the pictures, the dog house is looking good.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2017 at 9:12pm
Most likely has access to better strippers than the ones you use Pete. Probably something to do with the temperatures you encounter      Maybe Quinner can get you some......
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2017 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Most likely has access to better strippers than the ones you use Pete. Probably something to do with the temperatures you encounter      Maybe Quinner can get you some......

Gary,
Sounds like Don sanded the finish off and didn't need a CQ stripper!
Originally posted by NewOwner NewOwner wrote:

I took the engine cover out of the boat and sanded off the stain.

It is possible to sand since the original CC factory finish wasn't more than a couple coats. But, I suggested stripper (and then bleach because of the gray water stains) so the minimum amount of wood is removed. The danger of sanding too much of the face veneer is high and that would leave Don without a "paddle" to go any farther with the original wood.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2017 at 10:43am
After removing the white stripes, what type of paint should I use for the stripes? Do I stain everything first then add the stripes? Is there a clear coat on top of that?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2017 at 10:56am
Don,
On seams whether fake or "live", I have always used paint just before the final coat of varnish.

You are almost to the point of using the paste wood filler to fill the open grain of the Mahogany so if you haven't researched the process yet, spend some time. Here's a
good video on the process part one that explains the basics . Make sure you also view part 2 and 3.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jay SE IN. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay SE IN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2017 at 12:04am
Wow! I had a 63 exactly like that one for 13 years. Rambler Fireball 138. They sound like a million dollars! Sold it back to the guy I bought it from. My 3 girls were real little and I needed a boat with more freeboard for safety. Bought a 70 Southwind 20. What a bunch of great memories! Honeymoon at Lake of the Ozarks for one.....You will LOVE IT!!!
"THESE are the good old days" ( thanks, Dad!)
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2017 at 4:47pm
I hope the project turns out well. I honeymooned at Lake of the Ozarks also. Probably before you were born. Nineteen fifty-seven. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay SE IN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2017 at 5:23pm
Close......1955 . Honeymoon 1980.
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2017 at 3:47pm
Engine cover before and after stain.   Will 220 grit sandpaper be fine enough before varnish?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay SE IN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2017 at 3:50pm
No. Mahohany is rather soft. Try 100 grit with the grain. This is really taking me down memory lane!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2017 at 4:49pm

Engine cover before and after stain.   Will 220 grit sandpaper be fine enough before varnish?

Originally posted by Jay SE IN. Jay SE IN. wrote:

No. Mahohany is rather soft. Try 100 grit with the grain. This is really taking me down memory lane!

NO on 100!! In fact, I question the need for any sanding at this point. It shouldn't need any before you get any sealer or varnish on it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay SE IN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2017 at 4:55pm
Woops! Holy crap! What I MEANT to say was 400. I had the poor guy going backwards! Sorry. I will keep quiet and just listen!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2017 at 6:17pm
Don,
Have you purchased any varnish yet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2017 at 8:07pm
No. I used Interlux 42 stain purchased from Jamestown Distributors. The directions on the can said to use a single package varnish, whatever that is.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2017 at 9:08pm
Don,
What is meant regarding a "single" package is a single component rather that a two component (two cans) varnish. The two components have some pretty aggressive solvents in them that would lift the filler stain out of the wood,

I've always had good luck with Flagship but, I'm hearing good things about Jamestown's Total Boat line.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2017 at 12:45am
I read the link about the flagship and also the Total Boat. I might go with the Total Boat just because it is a newer process. Also, I used the Mahogany color for the dark stain but was wondering what the color is called for the lighter stain. (see photo)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2017 at 9:09am
Don,
Other colors of filler stains are made by Sandusky. Take a look at the Cordova. I suggest calling Sandusky to see if they have a color chart they can send you. Lyman 28 may be close too. Keep in mind that there are two factors that affect matching. First is the existing color on the boat has been lightened through the years by sunlight. Second is you will be bleaching the wood so you will be starting with a lighter color.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2017 at 9:17am
Don,
Previously I mentioned sealing the wood after the filler stain and before varnish. You can use a wood sealer or reduce your varnish 50% for the fist coat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2017 at 11:25am

The engine cover with one coat of varnish. I am planning on painting the grooves before the last coat.

Also, while cleaning the bilge area under the motor with tsp mixed with water I noticed some leaking under the boat. Can that be fixed with some caulking on the inside or is it more complicated than that?
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2017 at 11:29am
The long dark spot is my shadow.
Moody Blue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2017 at 12:20pm
Looking good! Make hull repairs from the outside.
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2017 at 1:00pm
Thanks.
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2017 at 2:36pm
Sweet boat Don. Congrats! Interesting thread.

Waldo
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2017 at 5:20pm

Also, while cleaning the bilge area under the motor with tsp mixed with water I noticed some leaking under the boat. Can that be fixed with some caulking on the inside or is it more complicated than that?

This is why I was curious about and asked if you could see any screw pops on the hull bottom. Pictures would be great. Looking at your picture that shows the transom, it looks like the PO did do at least a bottom paint job. Do you have any detailed information on what he did? Screw popping means loose ply to frames. Just caulking and painting will not fix the problem. I'm sorry to say if it leaks from the inside out, it will leak worse in the water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2017 at 5:24pm
Don,
Did you?
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Don,
Previously I mentioned sealing the wood after the filler stain and before varnish. You can use a wood sealer or reduce your varnish 50% for the fist coat.

What varnish did you end up getting?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NewOwner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOwner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2017 at 1:00am
OK. I'll be out of town for a few days. When I return I'll check for screw popping more closely and take some close-up photos. Thanks for responding.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 6>
  Share Topic