NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop shaft strut

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Moody Blue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop shaft strut
    Posted: October-26-2017 at 7:52pm
Hello
    I am looking for a prop shaft strut for my '72 Martinique. My current strut is bent, twisted and has multiple stress cracks in the flange. I know there is talk here about having struts straightened but the stress cracks make me think it shouldn't be repaired.   The mounting holes measure 4 ½" centers lengthwise and 2 ¼" widthwise. I'm not finding any identifying markings on it. Log length is 5 1/4” . Top of log from base on both ends measures roughly 6 ¼" and 4 ¼" tall. Thoughts, suggestions or available struts would be great.   Thanks!
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 8:41pm
PM sent
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 11:08pm

I’m still in need of a strut.
Thanks for your help Scott. Wasn’t quite it.
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 7:52am
Please call Woody at 407-851-1965 Believe I have one in stock
woodyelc
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 8:25am
Pm sent
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 8:28am
Richard,
From the looks of the strut, how's the prop, prop shaft and rudder?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 8:33am
Richard,
No markings but here's the list. You need a 6DV strut.

Originally posted by nautique frk nautique frk wrote:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 11:08am
Hi Pete
Thanks for the list and number.
Prop is being taken care of and shaft will be evaluated.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Moody Blue Moody Blue wrote:

Prop is being taken care of and shaft will be evaluated.

Richard,
If the shaft is more than .003 out, it's bad. Check just aft of the strut since that's where most bend from a prop strike. They can be straightened but that can be taking a chance. It works I'd say 50% of the time. If the shaft is bad, you may what to consider a double taper shaft since it eliminates the rather tedious heat shrink fitting of the shaft coupling half at the trans end.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 10:02pm
Richard,
If you haven't removed the shaft yet, I suggest checking for a bend aft of the strut now as it may save you the time of removing the coupling at the trans. If the shaft is bent, and you decide to go with the double taper, just cut the shaft aft of the coupling to remove the shaft. Getting the coupling off by using the bolt and spacer trick can be time consuming.

I don't recommend straightening a shaft if the bend is aft of the strut. That is the highest stress area and if straightened will most likely break.

Here's an example of a broken shaft I suspect had been straightened:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 10:29pm
Pete

Is the picture of the broken shaft one that you got somewhere on the internet.?

Only reason I wonder is because that strut is a strange looking one. It looks like it's 2 pieces that are bolted together

It looks like an adjustable strut from Deep Blue Yacht Supply maybe
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 11:17pm
Thanks Pete. The shaft does not appear to be bent.   I’ll certainly have it checked.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2017 at 7:19am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Pete

Is the picture of the broken shaft one that you got somewhere on the internet.?

Only reason I wonder is because that strut is a strange looking one. It looks like it's 2 pieces that are bolted together

It looks like an adjustable strut from Deep Blue Yacht Supply maybe

Ken,
That's Reid's Classic and yes, he used an adjustable strut.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 12:17pm
There is a shaft strut on eBay through Watercraft Sales in Wisconsin. The mounting holes seem to match my measurements. I’ll call them Monday to detail other measurements. They list the part # as S141. That is not on the parts list that Pete provided. I wonder though if it cross references to a 6DV.   They seem to have a “no return” policy so I’m not in a hurry to purchase it unless it meets exact measurements and/or I have found no other strut by spring. Mark at N3 is going to root through some stock for a 6DV on Monday.
Does strut part # S141 mean anything to anyone?   Thanks again for all of your help.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 12:36pm

Thanks Pete. The shaft does not appear to be bent.   I’ll certainly have it checked.

"does not appear" doesn't sound very definite. How did you check it? Hopefully with a dial indicator.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 12:53pm
Hi Pete
I won’t be the one to check the shaft. The Martinique is at my local boat service for winter storage. When I locate the correct strut, I’ll take it and my prop to them and have it evaluated.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 12:57pm
I wouldn’t do business with a dealer with a no-return policy in a case like this.

N3 or White Lake will find what you need.

Ditto what Pete said on the shaft.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 1:01pm
Right Tim. I don’t like the no return policy at all. I’ll try White Lake also.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 1:06pm
White Lake Marine in North Carolina, correct?
   Sorry about the multiple posts on this topic.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 1:20pm

There is a shaft strut on eBay through Watercraft Sales in Wisconsin. The mounting holes seem to match my measurements.

You CAN NOT go by mounting holes on a strut as they are NOT accurately drilled. Height to the center of the bore and the bore angle are the key dimensions.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 1:39pm
Good to know that. Thank you.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 2:28pm

Hi Pete
I won’t be the one to check the shaft. The Martinique is at my local boat service for winter storage. When I locate the correct strut, I’ll take it and my prop to them and have it evaluated.

Richard,
Hopefully they are familiar with inboards and not outboard and I/O oriented. I ask because why aren't they getting the strut? Get us the shaft results after they get some readings with the dial indicator.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 2:50pm
Boatland Marine Service in Indianapolis fully capable of handling my situation. The parts manager suggested that if I found the strut, it would be much less expensive than if they did. I really appreciated that advise.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2017 at 10:58am

There is a shaft strut on eBay through Watercraft Sales in Wisconsin. I’ll call them Monday to detail other measurements. They list the part # as S141.

Richard,
Did you call Watercraft? If so, what did they say? I can run over there if needed.

Did Mark at N3 find a strut for you? I'm curious as to why N3 isn't working on your boat. I found Boatland's site and they seem to be oriented to pontoons, I/O's and outboards.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
footinforever11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote footinforever11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2017 at 5:16pm
Hi Moody,

The no return policy is on the parts that are listed on Ebay. Of course like every rule there are always exceptions and we can certainly work out a deal if wasn't the right one.

That being said, I believe the s141 is a nautique part number, I would have to verify which boat it is for.

I have a 79 ski nautique that has the strut in it still, but that doesn't appear that it will work for you. We have a customer with an older barracuda that he isn't wanting to put any more money into. He would probably sell it as a parts boat.
I can check into that, but that also doesn't appear to be the strut you need.

I can take some measurements off the s141 strut we have here and see if that will work for you.

Let me know what we can do to help.

Best Regards,

Ryan Lamon 715-367-0539 cell
Watercraft Sales
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2017 at 6:07pm
Richard,
I had some time so I went over to Watercraft and took a look at the S-141 strut. Beside the base dimensions that you already have, the key dimensions are the aft drop which is 6.0937", the bore angle to the base is 12 degrees and the length through the bore is 6".

To clarify "aft drop", the 6.0937" is from the center line of the prop shaft to the bottom of the base at the aft end of the strut.

Also, if you don't have any luck finding the strut, you may want to take a look at this
Buck Algonquin strut

I also just called Ryan (he wasn't in when I was over at Watercraft) and he's willing to work with you on the no return policy.

Have you taken your strut to a prop shop for an opinion on a repair? I know there are some stress cracks on the one side but it's possible they could braze them.? I've seen some pretty mangled up props that a good prop shop can do wonders with!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2017 at 6:22pm
Boy Ken has really raised the bar, either that or Pete is going stir crazy already at 35 degrees
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2017 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Boy Ken has really raised the bar, either that or Pete is going stir crazy already at 35 degrees

Hey, I've sure seen you go off on long information posts too! Yes, I had some time today plus I hadn't been over to Watercraft for some time and wanted to see what was going on! BTW, we had just enough snow this morning that needed some slight shoveling!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2017 at 9:48pm
Hello everyone. Thanks for your continued interest in my strut situation.
    Pete, I really appreciate you taking the time at Watercraft.   Ryan, will you send dimensions on the s141?
   Mark at N3 has promised to look through stock and get back with me.
   White Lake says that a 6A6 is a possibility but the mounting holes are different.
    Boatland winter stores my boats. I thought if I found a strut, they could check the shaft and wrap it up this winter. I use an old school boat mechanic for everything else. N3 will get my business as well.
One prop shop down, one more to check.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2017 at 10:13pm

Pete, I really appreciate you taking the time at Watercraft.   Ryan, will you send dimensions on the s141?

Richard,
I went to Watercraft to get the dimensions. The ones I posted above are for the S141.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic