Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Blown" Ford 351

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 14>
Author
William777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2019 at 12:48am
Thanks for the helpful rep[lies. I'll do some investigation into a swap with the seller. It's been a while but ya never know. So far I have it built up to the intake manifold. Some day...........
1978 Martinique Ford 351 Windsor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2019 at 12:57am
Thanks guys. I found the DB starter for $101. Why would the ARCO be so much more expensive? Is it much better? Spend the extra?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2019 at 10:21pm
      I've made it this far. I'm waiting on the new new starter to arrive before I put the starboard riser on. I had to tear the exhaust hose to pieces to remove it. Anyone have a part number for that? I made notes and took pictures of all the wiring harness connections but lost the pictures. I've also forgotten how the plate that holds the starter solenoid is bolted to the engine. That was in my pictures as well . Anyone with a shot of the rear of my particular engine? 1978 351W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2019 at 12:05am
Figured out how the plate is attached. I went thru previous posts and see I posted a pic of that area. I'm getting very close to putting it in the water and giving it a go. If it runs, fingers toes and everything else crossed, candles lit at church. salt thrown over shoulder and prayers to all the engine gods, I'll be starting on the interior. The dream lives on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2019 at 7:10pm
     I'm ready to start the motor but I;m not sure about the new starter wiring. It's different from the old one. I also bought a new battery cable. Does the loose red wire from the cable need to be attached to the free blade there on the starter? I put a battery in and just tried to bump it and all I got was a click. Like a low battery click, which may be the case. Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2019 at 11:43pm
I did it! It's done! Took it out on the lake and ran around for an hour. Running smoothly. If anyone doesn't believe in miracles, now is a good time to start believing. . Thanks everyone who helped here on the forum. The last hurdle was the firing order. I was going with the book which is for street engines.. Having found myself completely out of ideas about why it wouldn't fire I did a little more reading and saw the firing order is different for RR marine 351W's. Changed the wires around on the dist and it fired right up in a split second. What a sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 7:38am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 7:47am
Well congrats Bill and you finished ahead of schedule

Back at the end of 2017 , you were hoping to be done for a May relaunch. Wisely you didn't say what year so we'll just say it was May of 2020 you were shooting for.

Along the way there were some good laughs with Belzona (you know, the facial cream), Preparation H. and some of Quinner's stuff called Anzoleb

You were gonna repair the engine with your skills and Belzona. It was a valiant effort for sure.

Your skills worked out just fine though it seems

I'm a little suspicious though, I think you're a pretty experienced mechanic who was just messin' with our heads a little bit

We'll call it a CCF success.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 10:38am
Nicely done, happy to hear it's on the water and running well! I know you lost your old pics, but how about some on-the-water pictures of the boat running.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 10:40pm
https://www.dropbox.com/s/so9iydmdrgauhsw/IMG_0891.MOV?dl=0

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 10:47pm
No Grand Poobah Keno, I'm a hairdresser by trade. This was a long walk in a dark forrest dotted with a bunch of bright spots. Not sure if the above link works but that was today running at 4000RPM. I did it right in the end. It's just as amazing as I thought it could be. The sound is great. The boat is my dreamboat. Always lusted after full inboards. Most of the time I'll be puttin around slowly pretending I'm Katheryn Hepburn on Golden Pond.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 10:50pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 10:51pm
good lord that's a birthday greeting. Sorry about that. I'll try again. Jeez.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 11:03pm
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 11:09pm
Is that Joe Maddon?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 11:13pm
                   Next job is the interior. . Going for very simple, not as simple as my lawn chair I sat in to test, but simple. Actually liked the height of that seat tho. Not a fan of looking thru the windshield when I'm driving a boat. Thanks everyone for the congrats and all the help.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 11:37pm
Re think the chair height bro. This aint some POS Four Winns. This is a high performance tournament ski boat and one sits IN it while driving. Two hard burns down the lake and youll be convinced. Besides, you look cooler slouching down in the seat.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2019 at 1:24am
after running perfectly for a few days, there started a weird vibration from the internals. noticed the harmonic balancer going all over the place, pulled it and spun the engine. wabbly end of the crank shaft, bent crank.. i have to do the whole thing again.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2019 at 4:11am
Sounds like a broken crank snout. Very sorry.
Make sure the harmonic balancer did not come apart and you do actually have the full harmonic balancer removed.   You might still be OK and maybe the bolts just came out of your pulleys?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2019 at 4:06pm
I
The balancer is intact. The snout is going around like a straw in swirling water would. Like circles. Is this something that can be fixed without pulling the engine? I've never heard of a broken snout. Thanks.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2019 at 5:27pm
If the snout (or some call it the nose) is broken, then it's time for a new crank.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2019 at 5:31pm
Short answer.................no

Long answer.................no and remember you have another crankshaft hanging around but it's for normal rotation.

It's a 2 piece rear main seal with the wick/helix lines on the crankshaft itself.

It could get used but there would be hoops to jump through to do it

Since the engine was a collection of used parts and you like the boat, maybe you should consider a remanufactured long block and swap your external stuff over.

You'd be out a couple thousand or so, but have a dependable engine for a long time and be back in the water pretty quickly.

Not sure if that's in the budget but it's a thought   

How about a picture of the balancer and what you can see of the front of the crankshaft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2019 at 6:41pm
Could I use a 302 block? Wick lines went away in 1980? What did I do to cause that snout to break?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2019 at 6:42pm
Never mind about the 302 block.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2019 at 7:13pm
https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2009/07/five-ways-to-break-the-nose-of-a-crankshaft/

I found this interesting somehow
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2019 at 7:47pm
Link for above
As a side note I had a Scat crank for a VW years ago- they were art
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2019 at 1:49pm
After getting over the horror of having to pull the engine out again,, I got things into perspective and have begun all over again. I thought there are probably hundreds of people in San Quentin who would love to have this "problem" and that set me straight. HA! But probably true. This time is already easier. I took the entire engine harness off in one piece keeping the coil and alternator and distributor connected so I won'tbe fumbling around with the wires later. I'm not removing the heads either. Gonna take the whole thing out in one piece sans the transmission. Not building the scaffolding either, which was a drag to build and use. Buying a 1000 lb hoist pulley from Harbor Freight and using the old oak tree in the front yard, redneck style. No HOA's in Clearlake! HA! I'm eager to get the pan dropped and see what the F%$# happened. I hope I can "read" the situation there. Question, could I have re bolted the flywheel in the wrong way, as in, the flywheel is orientated to it's bolt pattern in relation to the dampener in order to balance the flywheel? Also, would the extra weight of the .30 over pistons be able to generate enough force to bend the original crank which had normal size pistons originally? Budget dictates I try and fix this boat and not purchase a new short block at this time. Also thought of unloading the boat and buying something else but I've invested so much time. I build the seats and replaced the wood the fuel tank sits on, replaced all the muffler hoses, and a lot of other small things and I love the boat so.......I'll try again, signed, The Black Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2019 at 1:53pm
One more thing, or two; If I buy a new crank, will I have to alter the flywheel and or dampener to balance a new crank? Did I read somewhere the 351W cranks after 1982 don't have wik lines so no need to worry about buying a reverse rotation crank?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2019 at 3:55pm
The crankshafts are cast iron, my guess would be you installed a cracked crankshaft and it broke.
If a crankshaft falls over and hits the ground hard it can crack it.
If the previous life in an automotive application happened to have a bad balancer it may have cracked for that reason. You always test a crank before sending it out to be ground or installed in an engine.
Simple test before using a crankshaft. Set it standing up on a hard surface.
Tap it with a ball pen hammer. Not on any of the polished bearing surfaces but pretty much anywhere else. A good crankshaft will ring like a bell when tapped with the hammer.
A bad or cracked crankshaft will just make a thud when you hit it.
Sorry for your trouble with this engine but you have learned a lot along the path.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2019 at 4:59pm
Thanks yes I've learned, which is good. The crank in the boat was the original. The crank that came with the block I bought was standard rotation and it's gone now. I'm in the market for a new one. A friend told me the snout can be repaired at less cost then buying a new crank? I'm hoping that if I caused the issue somewhere along the line, I won't repeat it along the way this time. That's a big concern. It could be my brain-dead move to shorten the break-in period, listened to bad advice, threw a bearing and caused an oil flow issue which caused excessive heat which lead to the failure. Guessing at it at this point.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 14>
  Share Topic