NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Blown" Ford 351

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 14>
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2017 at 8:12pm
Here are your pictures

You must have a Commander engine because a PCM would have the raw water pump right in that area.

That leak looks like it on the timing cover where it bolts to the front of the engine.

That's a water passage thru the cover from the circulating pump to the block

If it's a gasket leak you're getting luckier maybe.

Water can get into the oil thru the timing cover too.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2017 at 9:09pm
William,
Congratulations. You are making some progress. Hopefully the leak is simple and you'll have that engine running soon.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2017 at 9:40pm
Here's a picture of the backside of the timing cover and you see one water passage. It's the thumb sized hole about 2 inches below my thumb

If the gasket is bad you can leak water externally like you're seeing and you can leak water into the timing chain area too and it's a real easy path to the oil sump from there. With the cover removed you can look down into the front of the sump.

Hopefully just a gasket issue and no cracks

To remove the cover and replace the gasket you can get a timing chain gasket set pretty cheap

I'd replace the timing chain at the same time while the cover is off.

Back in 78 they were using nylon coated aluminum gears that liked to throw chunks of nylon off and make for some erratic camshaft timing
William777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2017 at 10:00pm
Thats's a great shot of the cover. Looks exactly like the spot the water is coming from, How do you post the pictures? I looked at Amazon for a gasket set and saw Windsor V8 and Cleveland but no Commander? The engine sounded AMAZING for the 10 seconds it ran. I also see many different brands for timing chains. Recommendations? And thank you all! PS. The starter was not assembled incorrectly as well as totally dirty inside. The PO or whoever had the spring that returns the bendix on the axle the bendix slides on.
1978 Martinique Ford 351 Windsor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2017 at 10:02pm
Meant to say the starter was incorrectly assembled.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2017 at 11:10pm
It's a 351 Windsor

Pleasurecraft (PCM) or Commander are 2 of the companies that marinized the 351W.

There are others also.

Regular automotive chain and gears. They get replaced as a set.

Plenty of brands from your local parts places or thru the internet.

Either silent or double roller chain are reasonably priced.

I think in the Common Qestions section somebody explains how to post pictures or you can do a search here on CCF and find some good explanations.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 12:40am
This is a big ole hole in the block me thinks. I have to source a harmonic balancer removal doodad and then take a closer look.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 4:38am
That is broken and looks like it has leaked for a while.
Cloyes is a well known Timing Set manufacturer.   
Fel-Pro is the most trusted name for the Gaskets.

There is a company called Lock n Stitch that has been fixing blocks and heads for years with a proven process.   If you have access and can drill holes into the cracked area Lock n Stitch products will pull the broken parts back together and permanently seal it.
They were headquartered in Turlock CA.
If you don't have access to drill and install the lock n stitch the engine will need to come out.   At that point it might be cheaper to find a donor block replacement.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 7:25am
I'm having a hard time visualizing where the crack is. Is it in the cover or block?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 9:37am
I'm having a hard time figuring out the picture too
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 9:44am
tough to decipher, but I believe the crack that is being shown is in the block just aft of the timing cover.
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 10:11am
Looks to me as though the pic is upside down and behind the alternator
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 10:33am
Yep, if it was right side up it would be looking at the timing cover from the front and the crack is on the front face of the block just to the left of the timing cover above the "Marine only" ear cast into the left side for the RWP mounting pcm style.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 11:17am
Hmmm   Doesnt help me much.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 11:40am
That's not right side up. Now the right hand side of the photo is "UP".
Everyone besides PCM put the alternator on the drivers side of the motor.
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 12:01pm
Pete will soon chime in and advise you to JB-weld that crack and see if there is an internal crack or not.

But, I wouldn't be concerned about an external crack there. However, it might be a clue that there is an internal crack that would have caused your milky oil.
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 12:40pm
here it is bottom side down for Zach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 1:10pm
     Here's a wider angle. Don't know how the image got flipped. Anyway, I'll need that balancer off to see the extent of the damage. Is JB welding it and rechecking a bad idea? I've seen the LockNStitch stuff on Jay Leno's classic car site and I like it. I'm off to the city to work for a few days then back at it on Sunday. And again, really appreciate the interest and help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 1:12pm
Balancer off so I can remove the timing cover to see the damage.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 2:38pm
It's my "guess" that there are other issues also. Crack like that don't just happen. There is a reason. Possibly more problems that have not come to light yet. You may be block shopping.    JMO
        1978 Mustang (modified)
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 2:43pm
I concur, that engine is fragged, i wouldn't waste a moment with it.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 2:54pm
Out of curiosity where was the freeze plug that was popped in relation to the crack you have?

I'd still get it running on the hose for a while like 10 minutes or so and let that crack in the block leak and see how the water in the oil situation is.

But in the last picture, it looks like you already have the circulating pump off of the timing cover so maybe you'll want to continue with getting the timing cover off

Not looking to promising at all right now though, I figure there's at the least a new block in your future

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 9:14pm

If you're going to have a hole in your block, have a big one! There is a section of gasket missing in the same spot on the timing cover which could explain the water in the sump. There is a machine shop with an expert welder with some special welder that welds cast metal? Not sure what it all means yet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 9:21pm
Also the casting plug the blew was the center one on the same side as the hole. Does that say something?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by William777 William777 wrote:

Does that say something?

Yea, it says get another block.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 9:50pm
The smart thing would be to get another block or engine.

If you want to keep the engine as a reverse rotation engine you'll need a 351W block with a 2 piece rear main seal so you can use the reverse rotation crank.you have now.

Lots of things to think about, lots of different routes you could go but every one of those probably should include a new block and no repair jobs on the one you have

You may have other internal cracks or big holes you can't see.

By the way that's a nice picture of the nylon coated cam gear that was original back then.

It looks to have all of it's teeth and in good shape too.

Probably means the engine doesn't have too many hours on it.

You'll probably get lots of suggestions on what to do, so take your time, decide what you're comfortable spending and what engine work you're comfortable doing and remember again, you're working with a reverse rotation engine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Yea, it says get another block.

I have to agree that the most logical is a new block.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 10:04pm
I'm going to repair this block with my skills and Belzona 1111.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 3:57am
I have never seen one break where yours broke. They usually break in the middle along the sides.   I am betting if that part broke due to freeze you have other fractures in other places.   Find a new block. Sorry.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 10:27pm
Besides the block, it's a nice looking Martinique.
'92 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 14>
  Share Topic