Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

68 Skylark

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Gtbgmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtbgmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 Skylark
    Posted: September-03-2017 at 3:12am
Hi all I have had a 68 skylark for a few years. It was well kept by the previous two owners. Well all most. I am in the process of re wiring and restoring the interior. In the spring it will be time for paint. Anyone have any ideas on parts or any other helpful knowledge. Any insight would be appreciated. The skylark is new to me as far as the type. If helped re paint and re power a few mustang but this has a different motor. It is also left hand driver. Thanks.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 9:15am
Billy,
Welcome to CCfan. We'd love some pictures of the 68 so we can get a better idea of what your project entails and give you better advice.

I encourage you to not paint the hull. Many have found that a good wet sand and buff is all that's needed.

Why the repower? The Buick V6 is very rebuild able especially since it's a standard rotation (automotive) engine. It's also the reason for the port side helm.

What's the condition of the stringers? They really should be checked first and if bad should be your starting point.

Tell us more.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gtbgmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtbgmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 12:57pm
I do not plan to re power. Sorry for the misunderstanding. She has the super sabre v6 and is a great motor. Due to small stress cracks around the boat paint is inevitable. I am replacing a few small boards but the stringers are solid. I would like to keep it as close to factory as possible. That being said it still needs tlc. It is missing the front seats all so. The pictures aren't the best. My garage is cramped right now. The previous owner put brown indoor outdoor carpet so I have removed the sides and top deck to remove and replace with the proper vinyl on the sides and match to the seats i have to build. Wiring is a issue all so. A complete re wire is on my agenda.
Gtbgmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtbgmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 1:18pm
Trying to figure out how to upload pictures sorry for delay.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 2:32pm
Billy,
If the stress cracking is real bad, the preferred fix is to re gel - no paint!! But, as mentioned try the wet sand and buff first on a few areas to see how it looks.

With posting pictures, click of the full reply editor icon which is the arrow slanting up and to the right. Then you will find an icon of a tree with an up arrow. Clicking it will bring up a browse box that will allow you to select anything off your computer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 6:21pm
As Pete has said please don't paint the boat. regel is the only correct way to fix and preserve it .
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 6:41pm
Yes the only true way to fix would be to remove all the old gel,can't paint over it- it will still keep cracking. Since you need to get it all off then you might as just regel rather than paint. If you don't remove it and decide just to paint, what you'll end up with then is a painted cracked gel boat. Most times it's best just to let her age gracefully,sanding and buffing will do wonders. What color is it now?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

. Most times it's best just to let her age gracefully,sanding and buffing will do wonders.

I would not care if I NEVER did another re gel job. Worst part of the rebuild.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Gtbgmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtbgmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 10:44pm
The current color is beige. I may try the sand and buff. I am at a loss for replacement parts. My big worry is the impeller for the cooling system. I have found some belts but that is about it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2017 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by Gtbgmc Gtbgmc wrote:

My big worry is the impeller for the cooling system.

Were have you looked?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 12:25am
Sounds like Marty's twin. He will be the one to advise but if I recall during his impeller difficulties that Art had a spare. I assume that it is a standard Sherwood 9959k impeller. If it is make sure you only use a oem Sherwood impeller. Marty's was extremely sensitive as to which one worked.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gtbgmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtbgmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 12:24pm
Thank you for the info. I have been able to find little about universal engins. Looking here and talking with y'all I have learned more than in my search. The people at Christine's marine where nice but said they carried no parts for the skylark.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 3:59pm

The people at Christine's marine where nice but said they carried no parts for the skylark.

Billy,
We know you are looking for a RWP impeller and Gary responded but what else are you looking for? Be more specific and we can give you some suggestions.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gtbgmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtbgmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2017 at 11:40pm
Thank you Gary. The alternator was replaced with a reman no name that I'm not sure is the right one. That's on my list. A spare propeller would be nice. Oil pressure and temp sensors.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2017 at 7:01am
Billy,
Are you sure you need both the oil and temp senders? It's unlikely that both are bad and it sounds more likely that there's a wiring problem. What testing have you done?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2017 at 8:52am
LOCATION in NC ! ??

Billy Tanner---- I went to school with a Kevin Tanner-- any relationship??

Shoot me an e-mail

mtmabe@northstate.net

or call me

336-eight-eight- two- 677 five
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2017 at 7:42pm
Billy,
How about those pictures?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gtbgmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtbgmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2017 at 8:05pm
As of right now I cannot post pics. I will try to use my wife's computer later. I am currently tracing out the rats nest of wiring. Whoever had it before me used house cord and allot of terminated connections. A complete re wire is in order and I will go from there
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2017 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Billy,
Are you sure you need both the oil and temp senders? It's unlikely that both are bad and it sounds more likely that there's a wiring problem. What testing have you done?

I am currently tracing out the rats nest of wiring. Whoever had it before me used house cord and allot of terminated connections. A complete re wire is in order and I will go from there

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic