NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1993 Ski Nautique parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2017 at 10:04pm
Dan - I'm not intimidated, just have not had the time. This winter will provide the time (I hope). Curious to know what type of grounding block you used? I've pulled off my dashboard plenty of times so there is no fear in the job, but I'd like to stand on the shoulders of giants like yourself who have done the job before and can tell me what worked for you.

Thanks!
Kevin
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
flyfishdelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishdelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2017 at 2:43pm
A spark of hope, the motor is rolling over a little easier now after the new starter and a little help. The fuel pump is bad (no surprise there,) I picked up a carb rebuild kit. A little starting fluid down the carb and the motor roared to life for about 4 seconds... :-) I think the worst is behind me now. Lots of smoke to be expected as I loaded the cylinders with tranny fluid and MMO.
While I need way more time to work on this , might as well ask the question now. The steering is really tight, any input would be helpful, Does anyone off the top of mind know the different adjustment points where I may have RUST issue with the cable? at the wheel, in the back, are there any other points mid craft that may be a culprit?

thanks All.

Fly
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2017 at 3:16pm
No rust involved. I have cut open 3 now. The 69 had sheath damage and would freeze in the winter so I changed it, it was the original with no other problems. The 95 went bad at 19 years , took both hands to turn, lube inside was dried out and gummy. Third was another inboards that was about 22 years old, same issue and cause as the 95.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2017 at 3:42pm
So what Gary is saying is buy a new steering cable. That is the only way to fix it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishdelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2018 at 3:45pm
we had a nice weekend, warm enough to work on the boat anyway.
Since my last post, and no I have not changes the steering cable yet. (I'll put it on a trailer to do that work).

I finally picked up my new exhaust manifold gaskets and put them on,
Rotated the impeller pump (thanks for all the other posts in general topic that helped me right my wrong.

since I'm sharing a battery with my other boat, back and forth some times I would not get the motor to fire, not even with a little gas persuasion :-). There is a small white 14 gauge wire with my positive terminal cable. this wire had a loop on it and sometimes the motor would fire sometimes nothing. while replacing the battery, I broke off the end loop of the white wire (very corroded... replaced the loop and reattached to the battery terminal. for kicks I hit the ignition and the motor fired up without spiking the carb. ran it for about 10 minutes and shut it off, restarted and the same thing... now she will start and run with the key alone-- all good there. She runs cool, and I can throttle up slowly up to 4k without a stall. quick throttle will stall the motor.

New issue, idles at 1200 RPM and I cannot seem to slow her down, is this just a sign that it needs a rebuild or do you think the throttle cable needs an adjustment?

I took it for a ride in the bay and aside from a very tight steering wheel, it just idles way to fast to maneuver the boat..

fixed list:
freed the stuck motor
starter
impeller
fuel pump
exhaust manifold gaskets
plugs
white + lead wire loop

Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishdelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2018 at 3:48pm
Also forgot to mention, now that she will run, The temp gauge and the fuel level is not working. (senders??? or do you all think this is a wire issue? just curious how long the gauges last?

She idled for more than an hour total Saturday and she is running smooth but at 1200RPM.

fly.
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2018 at 4:26pm
Disconnect the throttle cable at the carb, usually it's a spring loaded snap connector, and see if it is/was the throttle assy holding it open. If it now idles down with it disconnected then that connector can be adjusted on the cable so that it just slides back on without moving the carb linkage. As to the gauges - disconnect the wire on the sender and with the key on powering the gauges touch that wire from the sender to ground and see it the gauge pegs. If it does then it's the sender or its ground. Do not use teflon tape etc to try to seal the sender that can mess with the ground. If that don't work you'll have to dig deeper- i.e. Voltage to the gauge, wire between sender and gauge etc.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishdelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2018 at 7:44pm
Thanks Gary,

I'll give it a go maybe this coming weekend. Work always gets in the way!!!!

fly
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2018 at 12:46pm
if you haven't done it yet...I HIGHLY suggest pulling the dash, and running heavier gauge hot and ground wires from engine compartment to dash..then install a ground block behind your dash, clean the grounds on all the gauges, ignition, etc, and installed heavier wire. I took the time last season to do this, and my dash cluster couldn't be happier. Everything works as it should.
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishdelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2018 at 3:40pm
Flyweed,

Thanks, I read on another post about the grounding block. Sounds like an easy project and may pay dividends.

Thanks Again

fly
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishdelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 6:14pm
Took the SN out on our first slow/fast water run. with the carb rebuilt, she is running great.

last few items to fix
steering cable
carpet
gas gauge sending unit...

Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2018 at 6:19pm
Congrats! Now turn the Bimini around.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishdelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2018 at 3:01pm
Teleflex steering cable: tel-SS14120 "Amazon" (probably could do a 19' rather than a 20')
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 1:28am
Originally posted by flyweed flyweed wrote:

if you haven't done it yet...I HIGHLY suggest pulling the dash, and running heavier gauge hot and ground wires from engine compartment to dash..then install a ground block behind your dash, clean the grounds on all the gauges, ignition, etc, and installed heavier wire. I took the time last season to do this, and my dash cluster couldn't be happier. Everything works as it should.

Hot and ground wires? I've heard about doing the grounding wire thing with a ground block, but what do you do with the hot wire?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 7:43am
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Originally posted by flyweed flyweed wrote:

a ground block behind your dash, clean the grounds on all the gauges, ignition, etc,

Hot and ground wires? I've heard about doing the grounding wire thing with a ground block, but what do you do with the hot wire?

Kevin,
The terminal blocks are used to eliminate the daisy chaining. Adding the heavier ground and hot wiring eliminates the big voltage drop caused by the light factory wire. Old corroded and loose connections also cause voltage drop.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 12:05pm
I understand the concept, Pete. I've just not seen anyone replace the hot side of the system before. There's a whole write-up with photos about fixing the grounding side of things for this era SN. But that is all I have seen - black grounding wire. When the hot "red" side was mentioned I though, "What?" and thus asked.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 12:44pm
Pretty common (more common) for the + side to be beefed up than the grounds in my experience... both help.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 12:50pm
I just rewired mine:

see pics about 1/2 way through thread

Sorry about the crappy pics.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 12:53pm
You have to be just a little more thoughtful with the positive bus bar/block.

With the ground block, you run a new ground wire from the engine block to your new ground bus under the dash. Then just tie all of your ground wires to that.

With the positive side, you just have to make sure you don't corrupt the original switching logic. You don't want to accidentally have something be on all the time.
-The new positive wire replaces or piggybacks on the ignition breaker button
-Then the output side of your ignition breaker button goes to the positive bus
-Then you run wires to the INPUT side of all the other breaker switches, and the INPUT side of the key switch.

If you want to go crazy, you could do a switched positive (purple/ignition) bus bar, that goes from the output side of the key, to the input side or all the gauges etc.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

I just rewired mine:

see pics about 1/2 way through thread

Sorry about the crappy pics.

Wow, nice clean/neat work
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 1:07pm
Thanks. I brought it home and had it flipped over on the dining room table for a few weeks. I verified everything was correct by applying power with a little battery charger.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishdelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 3:36pm
recently bought a 24MS Everstart at Walmart for the 93 SN, ( it's a 24 MS / 1000CA, well it blows the breakers when I try to start the motor. Have to use my old Batt with 650CA from my other boat. any ideas? too much CA for the boat to handle? I have a 1998 21' Monterey with the Volvo Penta 5.0 and it can use the 24MS- 1000 CA with no issues??
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 3:41pm
Breaker trip has nothing to do with how many cold cranking amp capacity your battery has.

My guess is you have a short & your old worn out battery droops so much it doesn't trip breaker.

Breaker is doing its job.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 5:28pm
Sean,

I like your grounding block and agree that is some high-quality work! Where did you get it? Looks like you are using all of it! There is a lot of stuff to ground.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishdelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 5:40pm
I was afraid someone would say that, UHG!!!

Now if I were desertskier, I would have all my wiring nice and neat to trouble shoot everything, This boat has come a long way from when I got her, I'll have to try and figure out where to start,

still have a few items to address, hope to wrap this project up in the next two weekends and have her ready for Summer.

I'll post pictures, when she is all cleaned up, she was so messy didn't want to distract from what the project is all about.
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by flyfishdelta flyfishdelta wrote:

recently bought a 24MS Everstart at Walmart for the 93 SN ...
.... too much CA for the boat to handle?

First problem there is the Everstart - never been a fan of those for a cranking battery. Cars, boats, ATVs, garden tractors ... seems they rarely last longer than 2 years no matter how well you maintain them.
Second, to a reasonable extent there's no such thing as too much CCA (MCA) for a cranking battery.   Aside from a starting system short, an internal short in the Walmart battery might perhaps cause the breaker to trip or the breaker itself is aging and needs to be replaced.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishdelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 7:13pm
Interesting thought on the battery being bad., I'll put it on my other boat (has two batteries) and try it.
As far as the Everlast, I have had great luck with them in my Monterey, I had to replace a 2007 battery this year, and my other 2014 is in the SN now. I think the key to longevity in the Monterey is the battery selector switch, I always shut it off when I'm not in the water. Planning to run duel batteries in the SN once I figure out the best location for the switch and new battery box.
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishdelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 7:26pm
It took me about a minute to run out and install the battery on the Monterey to check and see if it's just a bad. Fired the motor right up, so back to the short issue... any ideas where to start looking?

New starter,
cabling as required, no burning wires, arching that I can see or hear,
the old battery fires the 351 right up, first hit nothing sounds, looks ... out of place
shut off all accessories, so it's somewhere in the the starting process? the new starter maybe? that would suck!!!
Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 7:28pm
Time to study the wiring diagram. The business end of the start circuit (batt to starter via solenoid) doesn’t go through the breaker.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishdelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2018 at 7:28pm
are these breakers readily available or do I have to use the specific one from SN?

Fly
1993 project -now-
1993 ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic