Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lifting by the Eye Bolts

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
smloncc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smloncc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lifting by the Eye Bolts
    Posted: August-18-2017 at 9:33am
I have a 1974 Southwind 20 Bowrider. Would it be safe to lift the boat in a boat lift using the bow and stern eye bolts? How are they secured within the frame of the boat?
smloncc
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2017 at 11:35am
Certainly the boat was designed to be lifted by those lifting rings - it would be reasonable to look under the decks and make sure the rods they are connected to have not corroded excessively and that glass/wood they are bolted to are not soft or delaminated.   After years of lifting even the oldest and crustiest of correct crafts by their rings I did have one fail not too long ago as the threaded rod had rusted down to just about nothing in one area - so definitely worth at lease a cursory look IMHO.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2017 at 11:40am
Steve,
Yes, just as joe mentioned, do check the integrity of the mounts into the hull. BTW, what did you think the lifting rings were for?? My boats as well as thousands of others hang all season long by the rings!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
smloncc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smloncc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2017 at 11:48am
Thanks - I knew they are for hanging - The boat's pretty old and I was more looking for any tips on what to look for and stories about failures.
smloncc
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic