Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Squeaking Pulley

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
leftseat88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leftseat88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squeaking Pulley
    Posted: August-16-2017 at 9:32pm
Afternoon All,

Please forgive my inaccurate description of mechanical parts. I believe I have a squeaking pulley, the one directly in front of the impeller housing. I only hear it during start up and only for a few seconds. I assume that one of the bearing is starting to go. Do I need to replace the whole housing ($700, marina price), or can I replace just the "front half" of the housing ($320, marina price)?

1996 Sport Nautique
Thanks
Jason
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 9:53pm
Jason,
Are you sure the noise just isn't a belt squeal on the sheave? How old are the belts and are they tensioned properly?

BTW, you have two impellers. The one in the RWP and then the one in the circulation pump!!.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leftseat88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 10:09pm
Excellent point. I have learned to start with the inexpensive fix first. The belts do need to be replaced, I will try that first. Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leftseat88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2017 at 10:14pm
When I put a new belt on, how do I determine the right amount of tension?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2017 at 1:50am
That is a short distance on the impeller belt or RWP. I would tension till I had about 1/4 inch deflection at the center between pulleys while pushing about 30 lbs pressure with a finger on the belt.
If this seems too vague buy a boroughs tension gage and use it to check proper tension.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2017 at 1:50pm
I'd also add that a squeaking belt that lasts a few seconds at startup is not a crisis. Yes, I'd replace the belt and look for proper tension, but don't hesitate to run the boat in the meantime, that few seconds of squeak/squeal isn't going to shred the belt right away.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic