NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rudder / Prop depth

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
WinterTurtle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2017 at 10:40am
To be frank everyone -- thank you so much for all your input -- it's super valuable and I'm really impressed by the community and spirit you guys maintain here in general. My first steps with new project vehicles are to buy a FSM and join a good forum -- I've never been on one that's better than this. I'm still somewhat active on an old Dodge forum but it's gone pretty quiet...

Seeing all of these it's pretty evident my trailer is ~18" low to what I need. My hope is the V or the bunks is similar enough to salvage those and notching / adding a prop cutout in the rear crossmember + devising a drop bracket / structure for the suspension can get me the height I need.

I'm heading down to Badin Lake this weekend to stake some measurements and do some initial test fitting stuff. Having it so far away is pushing out my schedule to have it running so far I'm going to pull the fuel tank and carburetor and go ahead and get those cleaned up and rebuilt at home so on the next visit maybe I can even run her. Trailering this puppy at a busy lake with 1-oar power isn't something I really wish to undertake!

Sure you don't wanna sell that trailer Jeff? I can make GA by early afternoon tomorrow! =P
1979 Southwind 18 351w

Not Running - All Potential!
WinterTurtle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2018 at 12:17pm
Good Sunday to all -- long overdue update. Trailer mods have come a long way -- not finished but I did manage to get the boat back home so now I can fine tune the trailer to the hull. I removed the rear crossmember and built my own prop cradle out of 4"x3/8" plate. Had to lift the suspension -- added new spring mounts to the top of the axle and moved the leaves from the bottom to the top. Did a lot of measuring beforehand and it pulls nice and straight. Moved the crank mount back ~10". Added new tall bunks, tires, lights, hook webbing, and a safety chain.

Original:

Current state:

Got towed to the dock by a friendly neighbor:

Didn't sink!

Got her out & changed the receiver to bring the front end of the trailer up higher than in this one. The bunks definitely need some fine tuning but they worked well. The two supporting the boat are on the outermost strakes / chine - not sure if I am using the proper terminology.

Prop and rudder are right where I wanted them.

My old Dodge is evicted from the lean-to. I gave her a quick wash to get the spiders and dust off and noticed some more items needing attention before getting to run. Nothing too major so far. For a free boat she sure does look great! I'm really glad the hull art is so intact. It didn't look as good while dirty. I'll have to snap some interior pics soon. The upholstery and dash are in very nice shape -- all there and unmolested.

Now time to get the tank clean, carb in, RWP impeller replaced, timmy-t spliced in, and a few more things so I can fire her!
1979 Southwind 18 351w

Not Running - All Potential!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2018 at 12:30pm
Great progress. Enjoy the summer water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic