Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Atom Skier

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 10:56am
Very interesting on the 5 year time window, def helps narrow it down. Also, located this number stamped on the top off the head. Not sure if it means anything.

The bottom plywood is mahogany, however the sides and deck appear to be marine? is this normal or did someone replace it already?

There is what looks like subfloor glue holding each panel on, not saying this is subfloor glue but it looks like it. Did they use some type of glue in 1946-49 under the plywood?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 4:22pm
Brian,
I feel that 48 cast into the block is key. Add a year for seasoning and then placing the boat in service and it comes out to the 49 or 50

That adhesive you found is interesting. CC didn't use any so your thought on some work done after it left the factory sure sounds possible.

You say the sides and deck are "marine". Why do you feel it is? What about the bottom being "mahogany"? If so, then that would add to the thought that someone at one time did some hull work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 4:45pm
From what Brian told me seems the plywood was buttjoint instead of scarphed
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 5:00pm
Seems to me that the entire boat was reskinned at one time which doesn't really change anything at this point, it all needed to come off anyway. Fortunately they went sparingly on the adhesive and it came apart pretty easily.

When you install the new plywood make sure you have 100% coverage on the frame members with the 5200 so you don't allow any water to sit between the frame and the plywood. Lay the 5200 on the heavy side and go back and tool off any excess then clean the joint with some Xylol on a rag.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 5:14pm
Agree on Alan’s post. Had the person who reskinned it used 5200 or glassed the bottom it would have been a mess
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 5:43pm
Just curious guy's - is this factory work here? That Mastercraft sign has to go too

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 6:12pm
Pete,
Ok glad I found that cast, so we have it narrowed down at least. The bottom has a the reddish brown mahogany color which I believe to be mahogany, where that pic I posted of under the deck appears to be marine, or even an exterior plywood. They look totally different. I think it should also be noted that the boat was painted brown so the PO who did the work (we assume) probably didn't care what he used. just my thoughts on that.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 6:13pm
in my defense there is a Nautique one above it. need to fix the tack!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 6:16pm
Thats a good point which I never brought up, The seams are butt-jointed, However, the seems are also butt-jointed on the bottom. Ahhh this thing is a mess!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Just curious guy's - is this factory work here?

Gary,
That's factory. Due to the curvature of the transom, that frame is a ply lamination and it sure looks like it's delaminated or in a "Tim" term, disbonded!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 7:19pm
That makes sense,I was thinking when I posted that- that was a seam where they did not have a board long enough but your saying it's a layer of ply that's come loose and was cut off at that angle
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

From what Brian told me seems the plywood was buttjoint instead of scarphed

Jack,
The lack of scarfing sure adds to the idea that at least the hull had work done to it. The deck would be butt joints down the middle fore to aft and then at the gunnel just aft of the decked bulkhead between the cockpits.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 7:40pm

,I was thinking when I posted that- that was a seam where they did not have a board long enough

Not having a long enough chuck of wood wouldn't have surprised me at all. CC back then could do anything with the "finishing hatchets"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 9:07pm
That was a lot of screws, but I think I am ready to start making a material list and plan for moving forward.....

if anyone has thoughts or input on this please type now. I was reading Jacks thread, If I am understanding correctly, I should be using all mahogany, NO white OAK due to weight, DF is ok for the stringers?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Brian82683 Brian82683 wrote:

I was reading Jacks thread, If I am understanding correctly, I should be using all mahogany, NO white OAK due to weight, DF is ok for the stringers?

I agree, however, the DF really isn't needed on such a small low powered hull. If you come across some nice Mahogany, I'd be tempted to use it. But, what's wrong with the existing stringers? They should be good.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 9:38pm
The port side has a crack in the area under where the front passenger seat would be.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 11:14pm

Just curious guy's - is this factory work here? That Mastercraft sign has to go too

That's a classic PO patch and one spot that seems to rot. Bet you knew that Gary Ha.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 10:46am
Thoughts on the stringers? I think that port side has to go. I also don't believe I can really do much until I start replacing the frame and need to leave them alone for now. The Frame is not really supporting much at this point. Id like to make a cradle for the boat as suggested by Jack, once I can very carefully get some structure back without loosing the shape of the boat.

My current thought process is to start at the transom and work my way towards the bow. current material list:

1) 1X6X8 mahogany stock for the frame
2)1X2X? for the battens and gunwales
3) plywood for gussets (can this be 3/4 sanded with CPES'd ????)

go easy on me fellas first timer here
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2018 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Brian82683 Brian82683 wrote:

3) plywood for gussets (can this be 3/4 sanded with CPES'd ????)

The 3/4 is more than is needed. I'd go 1/2 or even 3/8 ext. Remember there's a gusset on both sides of the frames.

Take a close look at the damaged stringer for a possible repair. I'd consider epoxy insetting a Dutchman.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2018 at 5:19pm
I would salvage any part that is salvageable. Judging by the condition of the rest of the boat there is good reason to believe the stringers may be compromised. It that is the case they should be repaired or replaced first I think as a first step towards getting the bulkheads straight and true. Feel like the deck material should have been removed also to make installing the side hull material easier. Again, only if it needs replacement.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2018 at 8:51pm
Im not discouraged but frankly this this is a mess, lawn mulch. This stringers are possibly the only part that could be salvaged.   I took the transom frame off today and made a template for the mahogany. I absolutely 100% could not use the existing frame as a template. so It took some time. im using the template to support the back of the boat currently I have the boat hoisted up and supported by the stringers. There was no issue removing the decking last night in this area from under the boat. I agree that it would be easier up right but Its probably all that is holding it together at the moment

I plan to do the frame first so I can start to attach the rising boards and get some stability. One side at a time would be ideal but considering all frames are cracked and sinking in, Im leaning towards removing each one then reinstalling.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic