Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat launch etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat launch etiquette
    Posted: August-09-2017 at 1:56am
I've been around boats most of my life. I can launch/land in a few minutes. I'm also a non-confrontational person. If there is a clear order I am supposed to follow, I do, but I also don't like waiting around if there is no reason to.

Tonight at the launch I was heading in for the evening. A boat was in front on me (red) between 2 buoys (blue), but generally I don't consider the boats waiting there to be "in line" for anything except a dock spot, which there are only 2. I assumed the boat in front was waiting for one of those, or waiting for his buddy to back in a trailer.

The launch also has these side bumper things on the outside edge of each launch spot (green). They are wide enough to walk on but have no tie downs. People use them all the time as extra dock space as long as they don't need to tie off.

So, without thinking about it, I just went around him and grabbed a spot on the side bumper to go get my truck. Once I was backed in, he had just gotten his dock spot (he was alone) and was heading to the parking lot. I realized he was mad. I said I'm sorry, didn't need a dock spot so thought I would keep things moving. I said I'd be out before he got back. He said "Bull*************** and you know it. You passed me in line."

I was pulling out as he rounded the corner to back in his trailer, no problem. So I went and parked to pull the plug and clean up. That took another few minutes.

When I was ready to leave he pulls up right in front of my car and blocks me from driving forward, clearly as retaliation. We had my 3 kids and the neighbor kid with, I didn't want to stick around and attempt another apology, so I just backed up (quite easily) and left. He gave me a G-rated thumbs up as I passed by.

Next time I guess I will be more careful and talk with other boaters at the launch, but until he started acting up, I really didn't think I had done anything wrong. I only took space that was not being used.

What do you think? Did I budge?
1989 Ski Nautique 2001, 880 hours
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 1:58am
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 10:55am
You can't change the past but can change the future.

Next time pull up beside other boat on the water & see what his plan is.

Glad for you it didn't escalate.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 11:00am
Don't worry. Every day is like that for people like him, everywhere they go, the world sh|ts on them, because thats the color classes they wear.
Dunkin's
Gas Station
Deli
Bank
County Fair
its endless
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 11:08am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

You can't change the past but can change the future.

Next time pull up beside other boat on the water & see what his plan is.

Glad for you it didn't escalate.

Have to agree with this, a friendly Hi, and a little conversation as you're getting next to him to see what he's planning/thinking.

Who knows what the reply back would have been, but he at least wouldn't think you were cutting in front of him without at least asking.

Who knows, you might have ended up helping him since he was alone
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 11:44am
You didn't do anything wrong. He was obviously clueless.   You shouldn't have to chat with people at the ramp and find out their intentions. Talking to them could cause more problems depending on the persons attitude. If there wasn't a trailer waiting or he wasn't going to the dock he should get out of the way.   Just part of having fun at the ramp!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 11:47am
I'm siding with GottaSki and try to go about my business with minimal interaction.

If someone needs help sure I'll jump in otherwise you do your thing I'll do mine. I have little patience at the ramp.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 12:32pm
Trailers should be what forms the line not boats, Like many at the public launch, he was clueless
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Trailers should be what forms the line not boats, Like many at the public launch, he was clueless

Exactly how I have always operated.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 12:46pm
There are A Holes everywhere. Seems to be more at boat ramps.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 1:01pm
Last launch run in I had was at Torch lake up in northern Michigan, 1 lane one-way road to launch, single ramp 1 boat wide with a single pier. I got dropped off at shore and got in line with my trailer, My turn and a guy pulls up and starts tying his boat to the pier blocking the ramp, wtf. Same thing, he says I cut the line, lol. Attempt to explain to him the logistics but he was not hearing it, now the wifey is chirping at me also. It wasn't until the guy/trailer in line behind me intervenes that they finally start moving, of course spewing profanities while having a total meltdown, lmao.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 10:57pm
First World Problems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwvlbJ0h35A

Keep it....from sinkin'
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 12:01am
My last one was a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday evening. Whole ramp dynamics were changed because of higher water levels so only one lane was open. Guy who's first in line and just launching decides to load the boat on the ramp while 2 others wait. Then after he has it in the water he says hope it starts,I have not run it since October... Thanks buddy your the only one out here
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 2:11am
Last time I launched I had to hook the boat up beforehand by myself. Then I had to get back in the expedition, put it in D for drag the dang boat to the dang ramp. So after three minutes of getting to the ramp, I noticed there wasn't anyone around but just a bunch of driftwood and gravel on the ramp, So, I'm like "Hey! somebody shoulda swept off the dang ramp before I got here".   Well, they didn't.    So I had to get out of the expedition anyway, so I thought "Hey, might as well kick those two pieces of driftwood over into the grass before I put the plug in."   So I did.   But still haven't put the plug in yet, cause I noticed those three rather large chunks of gravel had not moved off of the ramp yet, So I had to go over to those three chunks and kick them over to the other side so they could be with the rest of the gravel
There's more but my typing finger is getting sore.

loggin-out
Keep it....from sinkin'
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 10:10pm
I try not to let this type of idiotic and clueless behavior get to me, but sometimes I am amazed at the self-centered lack of common courtesy at the dock. People, the launch ramp is NOT the place to un-tarp the boat, load gear, store gear, trouble-shoot the engine, have 7 or 8 people climb aboard, practice backing, fuel the boat, etc.

I've seen all that (and more) around the country. Drives me nutz...

OK, I feel better now.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 10:50pm
I got yelled at by some guy earlier this year when we were leaving the water. 2 dual slips at this place. Boat in front of me was getting onto it's trailer and as it pulled out, I followed in behind it and parked my boat on the dock. I jump out and ran to get the truck while my wife secured the boat and helped our guests get off the boat.

Slip to my right had a guy putting his boat on the trailer as I ran off.

I come right around (no line) and begin to back the trailer in the water. Some new guy to my right was driving onto his boat onto the trailer and he proceeded to tell me what I was doing was wrong and that I was not being courteous.

I explained I was following what others have been doing and that my boat was only there for the amount of time it took for me to run from the dock to my truck and return (2 mins). Needless to say he disagreed with me.

He wanted me to park my boat on the edges of the docks on the outside of the ramp. Go get my truck, then back to my boat to drive onto the trailer. While I agree with this tactic if the ramp was busy, I didn't see anything wrong with what I did and believe it took less time to do it my way than his.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 5:15am
trailer first. sorry
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

trailer first. sorry

Meaning what? I'm confused as to what you guys mean by trailer first.

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 10:20am
I just wonder if maybe this is half the reason Jody takes along a Ruger Red Hawk ?
They kind of have a way of keeping gators and angry ramp guests simmered down.
Keep it....from sinkin'
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 10:42am
Trailer first means when your trailer is backed in the water is the only time your boat should be blocking the ramp.

As I read your scenario, you pull up and block the ramp while the ramp next to you is being used, while u r blocking and getting your trailer the guy who was actually next in line had to wait for the ramp next to you to finish instead of using the ramp you blocked when his turn came up
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 11:06am

Trailer first means when your trailer is backed in the water is the only time your boat should be blocking the ramp.

I agree. You can pull up to the dock preferably on a side or end that doesn't block the actual ramp just to drop off the driver of your vehicle and trailer. Then the boat goes back out to open water waiting for the trailer in the ramp. Any gear unloading should be done after the boat is pulled out and in the parking lot and not in the ramp. Passengers too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

I just wonder if maybe this is half the reason Jody takes along a Ruger Red Hawk ?
They kind of have a way of keeping gators and angry ramp guests simmered down.

I don't remember the last time I saw any confrontations at a ramp.   Probably has something to do with our state not having any gun laws.   Knowing that everyone is probably armed tends to make you think twice before you start a fight.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 12:40pm
I get the "trialer first" idea, which is easy if you have someone to drop you off at the dock so you can fetch the car, but what if, like me, the vast majority of times you launch or pick up, you are alone. Granted, most of time you can tie up somewhere without blocking, but not at all ramps.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 12:50pm
I have also been in that situation Larry, I anchored my boat while dropping/retrieving the trailer
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I get the "trialer first" idea, which is easy if you have someone to drop you off at the dock so you can fetch the car, but what if, like me, the vast majority of times you launch or pick up, you are alone. Granted, most of time you can tie up somewhere without blocking, but not at all ramps.

This is my situation at a lot of the time as well. How the heck am I supposed to retrieve my rig without docking my boat?

In the situation I mentioned earlier, I was at the end of the dock and there was no one waiting in line to retrieve or launch. Even if someone pulled up to launch at my slip, there was room for them to dock in front of my boat. I also didn't have anyone on board who could operate my boat to drop me off.

I understand the etiquette, but I honestly don't think it applies to all ramps. Some are not conducive for this type of loading and unloading. Aside from anchoring my boat out of the way of others and swimming to sure, I don't see how this can be done in many of the places I launch.

If I can park my boat, get my rig and be gone in less than 5 minutes, I don't see any issues.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 1:07pm
I dont trailer much anymore, but I was talking to a work colleague last week. He frequents the nearest lake to Raleigh on a regular basis and tells me the ramp is a horror show. 4 lanes, which is great, but still packed with weekend warriors/wallies. He said the line can be 2o cars long. If my time was worth nothing, I would get a lawn chair and cooler and jsut go sit and watch some saturday. Even the quiet little ramp I used every time out up in MA could be entertaining. Two best were when a guy unhooked all is tie downs and backed his I/O down to the ramp. Boat slid back on trailer about 20 feet shy of the water, with the lower unit scrapping on the pavement. He was clueless and kept on pushing it back, despite his friends yelling at him. Another one was watching a guy try to load up his way to big boat on his trailer he didnt know how to get back into the water. Whole family was involve including the overweight diva wife in her glamorous black cover up and gold sandals. Took forever. And of course there is always the guy who doesnt put the plug in...;
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 2:03pm
Jpass, I hear and understand your plight.   Our ramp is 4 lanes wide with a dock in the middle and on the outsides.    There are some nearby docks that allow you to dock while retrieving a trailer.   but there have been occurrences where the standby docks are full of boats that are just tied up, My wife is learning, but we are still working on both the trailer backing and the open water driving, so until she is ready/capable, I will be in the spot where I am the only trailer loader, and the only trailer backer.   When on the ramp dock, I RUN to the truck, and don't mess around with the loading process.   probably takes 5 minutes for me as well.   Once we are on the trailer, the boat goes to the tie down area before being wiped off, unloaded, strapped down etc.    Some of these guys may have help, which is great, but if you don't, just do your best to be quick about it.   If you can tie up somewhere else, that's the best option. I think there are ways to be seriously inconsiderate at the ramp, but if you can load in < 5 mins, you are way ahead of some of the guys I have seen just trying to get their boats off or on the trailer, or their tube blown up in the middle of ramp 3, or all of their blooming gear out of the van, or...
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I would get a lawn chair and cooler and jsut go sit and watch some saturday. ;

My uncle lived on the Texas coast & this was his Sat evening entertainment.

The drunk fisherguys were a hoot to watch load up. Don't know why THP wasn't there, they would have made their DUI quota in a couple hrs.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 11:02pm
Ya. and Dreaming when you let her run with it, you let her run with it. Mr. Hall is good boat driver. Actually a very good boat driver. But she does not think like me. Never will. 99 out of 100 times, she pulls the boat on an off of trailer great. That other 1%, can either hold my tongue or get a divorce. If she were to total the boat, would not be worth price of divorce or price of my emotional stability as I actually love my wife. It's a boat. *************** happens. Very hard for me to accept sometimes, but it is the truth. If she happened to total the boat. which will never happen, not even close to the importance of wife and daughter.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2017 at 9:05am

I have also been in that situation Larry, I anchored my boat while dropping/retrieving the trailer

Ive heard of some guys who left their boats tied up at the restaurant late, getting a ride home and pulling out the next morning, so they would not block the ramp?
Js
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic