Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ZDDP Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
vandykd3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vandykd3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ZDDP Question
    Posted: July-22-2017 at 4:54pm
Hello again Correct Craft savants. I've a quick question about engine oil in my 68 Ford Interceptor. In a previous post of mine, Keno said that 15W-40 oil of any brand would work for my oil change, and, in another post, skutch said to make sure it has ZDDP content between 1200 and 1500 ppm, that is critical to protecting the flat tappet cam.

Well, NAPA hooked me with Shel Rotella T4 Triple Protection 15W-40, but there's no info on the ZDDP content. Can I just go ahead and use this oil straight away, or must I add a product like ZDDPlus to it?

Thanks!   
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 5:09pm
Dave

Read this link to a fairly recent postthread

Diesel oil link

You'll get all kinds of opinions about zinc levels.

Your T4 is the newer stuff and has 1200 ppm zinc

Look at the PQIA link in that thread.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 5:12pm
You are good to go with the T4

"The 15W-40 Rotella T with Triple Protection oil has approximately 1200 ppm of zinc and 1100 ppm phosphorus"

BTW, Ken mentioned "any" brand of oil WITH good levels of ZDDP!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 5:15pm
Frequently used brands in older air-cooled Porsche and 60's-70's muscle cars with solid flat-tappet cams:
Brad Penn
Joe Gibbs Driven
vandykd3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vandykd3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 5:29pm
Man, I don't know what people like me would do without people like you. Y'all be restoring my faith in humanity. Now, one last thing. Anybody know where I can get a magic wand to wave over it so I never have to maintain it ever again. In fact, one that pays me would be great! Would that be a Mallory or Sierra part?   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Frequently used brands in older air-cooled Porsche and 60's-70's muscle cars with solid flat-tappet cams:
Brad Penn
Joe Gibbs Driven

And they have the money to spend on over priced endorsed oil!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 6:31pm
Ironically enough many of those are trailered too
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 9:52pm
I do not understand, all the time everyone spends on their boats to make them look good and run again. Why do people want to buy the cheapest oils to protect the engine. I understand money may be tight, but for less than the price of two tanks of gas, you can put a high quality oil in your engine that will protect it many times better than the cheap oils. Just my opinion.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by fgroce fgroce wrote:

I do not understand, all the time everyone spends on their boats to make them look good and run again. Why do people want to buy the cheapest oils to protect the engine. I understand money may be tight, but for less than the price of two tanks of gas, you can put a high quality oil in your engine that will protect it many times better than the cheap oils. Just my opinion.

I don't understand why some people have to buy the most expensive "race oil" they can find for their stock pretty low output low revving engine.

How about explaining this many times better protection ?

Does it make it faster?   

I take it you don't trust the PQIA and all their oil analysis testing.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 10:20pm
I can tell you why I use VR1. It's because I can get it for 4.59 a quart. I have 3 boats and a car that uses it. It seems to do the job and I can change it often and not feel I'm just throwing it away.

[/IMG]
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I can tell you why I use VR1. It's because I can get it for 4.59 a quart. I have 3 boats and a car that uses it. It seems to do the job and I can change it often and not feel I'm just throwing it away.

[/IMG]

So what kind of oil does Iron Eyes Cody use?

I figure we all have our preferences, Frank can use whatever he wants (Amsoil 15w40)and I'll use whatever I want.

15w40 Rotella is recommended by more than one marine engine company, there must be a reason  

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 1:06am
4 out of 5 dentists recommend ethanol-free motor oil. That's my choice.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 1:38am
Thats a good recommendation,always trust your health care professional. I myself go by what my Veterinarian advises,I'll see him next week
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2017 at 2:35am
oil threads and winterizing threads are by far my favorites on here....

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2017 at 9:10am
I have been using Mobil 1 15w50 in all my boats since 1989 . Never had a oil related problem . I add 1 qt of   Lucas 10001 Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer to my 08 210 because of the additional load surfing puts on it .
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2017 at 11:19am
I prefer Rotella 15-40 in my Fords. Between all of the Ford Flat tappet engines we have had over the years we have most likely logged 3000+/- hours of run time using this oil.

The valve spring pressure/ramp rates/lift of a stock camshaft really should be perfectly fine at 1200 PPM. I even run it in my car which has much more wild camshaft specs and very high spring pressure with no issue.

I also prefer to run the 40W spec rather than 50W as the 40 has much better flow than a 50. Yes, 50 will thin out less in extreme temperature situations but within correct temp spec all it does is increase oil pressure and pump effort and reduce over all flow.

If the engine tolerances are set up for 40w and it stays within a proper temperature range it offers all the protection you will ever need. Also, additives are a nono. Lucas oil stabilizer is just a high viscosity base stock with no additives. It purely increases viscosity. You would be better off running VR-1 20-50.

Big Block Chevy engines really like to heat oil up unless running a cooler so the 20w-50 would be my choice for a BBC. Fords get 15w40. The Mobile 50W is a great choice if you want to go the synthetic route. Mobile would be my choice in a freshly build Big Block Chevy.

Some people think the 1200 PPM isn't enough but in my (and many many others) experience it is perfectly fine to protect the tame flat tappet camshafts that come in the stock engines. So, nobody is really "sacrificing" or "going the cheap route" by using this oil.

Long and the short of it. If you use Rotella 15-40 you'll be fine. If you use VR1 20-50 You'll be fine. If you use Mobile 15-50 You'll be fine.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2017 at 7:19pm
I have an adjustable baseball style Rotella T hat.      But inside the ski boat engine I use Kendall because it has a hand making the peace sign right there on the label.    So, to me that means piece or peace of mind while towing wake boarders which I hate but do anyway.
edit:    And you'll also be fine with Kendall.      With Kendoll, not so much.
Keep it....from sinkin'
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2017 at 2:14am
My customers through the 80's and 90's were production engine builders.
Combined the built close to 3,000 engines per month.
Was asked to help diagnose hundreds of engine failures.
Never witnessed an engine failure due to the brand of oil used.
Lack of oil changes or lack of oil I did see many times.
Dirty oil and running when low on oil does cause failure.
The modern Diesel oils still have protection in them that will protect your old flat tappet camshafts. Walmart has this in three brands for well under $20 a gallon.
Most is in 15-40W.
Nothing against all the modern racing oils like Joe Gibbs offering. If I decide to run 8,000 RPM I'll buy it but for my boat that rarely exceeds 5,000 RPM I'll run Delo, Rotella or any other brand that meets modern Diesel specs.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2017 at 8:03am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

But inside the ski boat engine I use Kendall because it has a hand making the peace sign right there on the label. .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2017 at 9:56am
Dang, 2000 miles. Count me sold.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2017 at 10:08am
2000 miles is a long ski run!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2017 at 10:43am
Be very careful comparing modern oils with those from the 80’s and 90’s. With modern roller cams and increasing emissions requirements, most of the “good stuff” needed for our older flat tappet engines has been removed from most oils, including the latest diesel specific ones. I’d need to recheck the specs on the various rotella types/grades, they reduced their ZDDP content fairly significantly (and quietly) about 10 years ago. I know VR1 and M1 15w50 continue to be safe choices.

Saving a few bucks on oil sure would be nice, but having wiped out a ft cam, the $10/change saved is not worth it to me.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2017 at 10:53am
What oil were you using when you wiped out a cam? I've preferred Rotella straight 30W for older engines that appear not to have been rebuilt. That stuff used to be pushed around here. Did they change the ZDDP in it? We've been using VR1 20-50 on older engines that have been rebuilt and on some more modern engines like Dave's '88 BFN. I wondered if VR-1 10-30 would be a better choice than 20-50 as that is what manufacturer recommended.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2017 at 11:05am
88 has a flat tappet cam and should not be considered more modern. Oil recommendations from 30+ years ago are not necessarily appropriate considering the changes made in oil technology over that time period. Yes, 30w rotella has less zddp in it now than it used to. I use it in my tractor but that’s it.

Was running VR1 when the cam wiped. Sometimes sht happens even when you do everything by the book. Not worth the chance to push your luck here imho.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

What oil were you using when you wiped out a cam? I've preferred Rotella straight 30W for older engines that appear not to have been rebuilt. .
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Oil recommendations from 30+ years ago are not necessarily appropriate considering the changes made in oil technology over that time period. ..

Bruce,
I agree with Tim. Whether or not an engine has been rebuilt or not and it's age has nothing to do with the modern technology of multi viscosity oil. I don't feel using 30 weight just because of an old recommendation is a sound idea. Oil topics have come up at ACBS tech seminars for some time and the consensus has always been go multi viscosity. I run 20 50 in everything and Tim, that includes my 1969 tractor!! You must be listening to some old guy who has never heard of or knows about multi viscosity oils! Hopefully he does understand the importance of the zinc.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2017 at 11:19am
Bruce, if your engine spec calls for 10w-30 you would be completely fine to use that (bearing clearances dictate oil viscosity selection). Stepping +/- 10 either direction shouldn't make a big different but going 30w to 50w is completely useless.

Rotella as far as anyone can tell continues to have 1200 PPM ZDDP which is completely fine for flat tappet engines. If they ever reduce it below 1200 then you need to start raising an eyebrow at using it in a flat tappet engine especially one with a larger cam spec/heavier valve springs.

If 1200PPM wasn't fine there would be tons and tons of people crying about wiped camshafts online. I doubt many marinas even know what ZDDP is and care to check the content of the oil they order in drums to use for services and you don't hear about people experiencing camshaft/lifter failure.

Anyone who has wiped a flat tappet camshaft (That is already broken in) please let us know what type of oil you were using.

I doubt any forum goers are dumping 50w oil into their car/truck engines when it calls for 30w.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2017 at 11:21am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

But inside the ski boat engine I use Kendall because it has a hand making the peace sign right there on the label. .

Oh, i thought that an early rendition of the 'the shocker'

huh, Learn something every day
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2017 at 11:24am
Someone here at work wiped a cam and tappet on a fairly modern looking 5-valve Audi turbo

Curiously, they ran non-roller systems longer than i thought anyone should have.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2017 at 11:26am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Anyone who has wiped a flat tappet camshaft (That is already broken in) please let us know what type of oil you were using.

Not me personally since I've always used oils with ZDDP but, I did personally see two cams with lobes that barely had any profiles on them. In both cases, the engine owners switched to modern synthetics thinking they were "helping" the engines and not knowing the importance of zinc. One cam was reported to have about 50 hours on it and the other about 75.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2017 at 11:34am
Still another option

Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic