NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just Picked Up a Twin-Engine Fish Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2017 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by NautiqueJeff NautiqueJeff wrote:

Well, I have some good news. After filling the plug holes with PB Blaster for a couple of days, the port engine now turns freely!

Jeff,
Maybe if you used some decent penetrating oil on the other engine, it would take less than a couple days to free up! Here are the statistics:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You have fallen for the BS advertising hype with the PB! Go for the scientific facts and not what's written on a can. "as advertised on TV" is always a dead on indication that a product is C***. If I remember correctly, Billy Mays at one time was pushing the stuff!

Here's the list of torque requirements copied from another thread:

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ...................... 516 pounds

WD-40 ................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ......... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix.......53 pounds

I don't even consider WD40 to be a penetrating oil so that puts PB at the bottom for me. Kroil is a on line order only so when I was taking my 1927 Flexifour apart and trying to break the rusted pistons loose, I did pick up a can of PB. A week went by with no luck and then the Kroil came in. The next day after using some of the Kroil, all four pistons were loose. I ended up using the PB as a honing lubricant!

Go for the 50-50 home brew. It works as many including myself have found out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NautiqueJeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2017 at 1:20pm
Intersting. I had always heard PB Blaster was the best thing to use. Thanks for posting!

If it doesn't free up today or tomorrow, I will move to something stronger from the list!
Current Boats: 1998 Ski Nautique, 2000 Sport Nautique, 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (twin-engine), 1981 Fish Nautique (twin-engine), 1980 Fish Nautique (twin-engine)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2017 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by NautiqueJeff NautiqueJeff wrote:

I had always heard PB Blaster was the best thing to use.

"as advertised on TV" is always a dead on indication that a product is C***.

Anything seems good if the person using the product hasn't tried something better.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2017 at 5:00pm
+1 for 50/50 ATF and acetone. Great stuff. Similar product is "Ed's Red". I use this for gun cleaning and other similar uses:

Ed's Red Bore Cleaner

1 part ATF
1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1
1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits or may substitute "Stoddard Solvent"
1 part Acetone

(Optional up to 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon,)
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2017 at 8:25pm
Both engines now turn freely! I was going to order some Kano Kroil tomorrow, but with Reid's help, we got the second engine turning today. Very happy!
Current Boats: 1998 Ski Nautique, 2000 Sport Nautique, 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (twin-engine), 1981 Fish Nautique (twin-engine), 1980 Fish Nautique (twin-engine)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2017 at 2:34pm
Ok, the twin-engine Fish Nautique is going to North Lake Fiberglass on Monday to start the fiberglass and gelcoat work!

I just finalized a deal to pick up another Fish Nautique hull, and we're going to take the front floor section from that boat (from the front of the center console to the front of the boat) and install it in the twin-engine. I'm doing this because the bare hull I just bought has the front bench seats and the proper hatches, and that will make the twin-engine way more passenger-friendly. It will also give it more of a factory look (although the front benches didn't start until '86 or '87 and mine is an '81). I may also pull the top deck off of the bare hull boat and install that on the twin-engine, since the deck on the twin-engine is pretty messed up.

Won't be long now until I can start posting some progress pictures!

Here's the bare hull FN I just bought.

woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2017 at 2:05pm
Morning. Is the BIA plate still on this on. Need it to make a copy for a customer. Please let me know. Thanks. Woody
woodyelc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2017 at 11:30pm
@woodyelc I forgot to check on this. I will try to check tomorrow.

Here's an update on what's happening with this boat right now.

The boat is at North Lake Fiberglass right now, having the floor built and installed, and the exterior gelcoat refinished.

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a donor Fish Nautique from Cape Cod. The donor (pictured in the post two up from this one) is a 1986, so it has the seating/storage compartments molded into the front floor section. That's a major upgrade over the earlier Fish Nautiques, which had simple, flat front floors with no seating or storage at all.

The donor boat also has a top deck cap that is in better shape than the one on the twin-engine, so we may end up switching that over as well.

The front floor section (from the engine opening forward) was removed from the donor boat today, and it is ready to install into the twin-engine.

The rear floor section will be custom-built and completely removable. That way we can get to the gas tank, shafts, rudders, exhaust, etc. when necessary.

Things are progressing well! Can't wait to get it finished up!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2017 at 6:11pm
Got the front floor section placed today. Also had a little test buffing done. Looking good so far!

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2017 at 10:31pm
Jeff,

WOW !!!!!!!! That Blue looks great !!!!!!!

Out of the box thinking on this one. Should be great.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2017 at 11:25pm
The rear floor section is going in today and tomorrow. Very happy with how it is turning out.

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2017 at 12:24am
That looks great! Love the blue!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2017 at 8:13am
Looking Good Jeffro....keep up the good work and the updates.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2017 at 12:49pm
Enjoying the thread, would love to have a twin engine 23' hull some day. I'll be very interested in your performance results with the old V6's, whether they get it on plane into the high 20's with some decent efficiency or not.

VERY cool boat!!!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
skwatr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skwatr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2018 at 11:23pm
Your my hero.
This is amazing!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2018 at 9:42pm
love the Fish
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic