Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 intermittent loss of power at speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 intermittent loss of power at speed
    Posted: July-19-2017 at 1:51pm
Hi,
I have a 1998 ski nautique with a GT40.
The last 2 times out, I've had the engine skip at speed. I was running about 32mph pulling my wife and then it skips for a second and my speed drops to around 28pm, then it picks up again and runs ok.
Last time out, it did this, then we retrieving the skier, I killed the engine. It would not restart. It was turning over, but not firing. I actually got a pull in. Later when I was home looking at things, I pushed the 60 amp breaker and it reset. Sure enough, hooked it up to water and it ran just fine in my driveway. Wish I would have thought of that on the lake.

So, the question is what trips the 60 amp breaker?
I'm wondering if something is starting to fail, thus drawing more amps.

I read through the poor man's GT40 diagnosis thread and didn't find anything similar.
The boat had the low pressure fuel pump replaced 4 years ago. Also had a new cap, rotor, plugs. Also, the filter in the FCC was replaced.

The relays on the back of the engine have not been replaced. Original as far as I know. I bought this boat in 2007.

Thanks,
Chris
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 2:07pm
I'd suggest that you put an amp clamp on the breaker "in" wire.   check for amperage and see if you are actually drawing more than you should be, or if the breaker might be getting weak.   the breakers do fail, so it may just be time for a replacement.    I hope that's the issue, it's a pretty easy fix.
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 2:43pm
Yes, I thought about that also. Considering this boat is almost 20 years old, might not be a bad idea to replace breakers & relays.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 2:54pm
relays are cheap, breakers not so much... verify before replacing
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 4:16pm
As a side note, did the site go through some changes.
I know I had an account here years ago, but it didn't recognize me or my email, thus the new user status.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 6:32pm
That 60 amp breaker is the main breaker for the whole electrical system.

If it tripped you wouldn't have been able to crank the engine over

You could crank the engine so it wasn't really tripped.

Sounds like something in the ignition system heated up and over time cooled down and when you tried to start it later it started with that component cooled down.

Or maybe you lost fuel pressure due to a relay or bad pump.that's starting to fail

If it happens again I'd be looking to see if it has spark or not when it doesn't start, to help narrow things down.

Who were you before you became a new guy again?

chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 7:34pm
I can tell you that when I pushed the button the 60amp, it clicked. Then it started. Before that, it would crank away and not start.
Now, that was 8 hours later so maybe it was a heat related issue.
But, I can tell you with certainty that the breaker clicked when I first pushed it. And now it doesn't. Is there a way to manually trip the breaker so I can test things further?

Thanks for the feedback.

I was the same user name before. That's why I asked. Same user name, same email address. The system had no info on me at all.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 7:38pm
Keno is correct that the boat should not crank if the 60A is popped.   I missed that part in your original post.   if it does crank but the "60A" is popped, I am wondering if your ECM breaker and your main breaker are reversed? or if you are pushing a secondary breaker instead of the main.   That one is not supposed to be a 60A though.    Can you post a photo of the breaker?
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 8:29pm
I have a 60, 15 & 12.5 coming from the top of the panel as shown in picture.
The 15 has a small amount of play. the 60 & 12.5 don't move at all when I press the button. I 'm fairly certain the 60 moved yesterday and clicked. I could be wrong on that, but that's what I thought happened. Now, not so sure.
But, I'm also back to what is happening.
The high pressure fuel pump has never been replaced. Wondering if this could be the problem. I think it would fit with symptoms.

Thanks for all the feedback.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 8:57pm
If you look at the GT-40 manual in the reference section there are diagrams in Section 6 that show what fuses/breakers serve what.

There are a handful of diagrams for different functions and they're not the easiest things to follow but all the electrical info is there.

Diagram 6-2 is pretty good.

What shows in the manual as a 20 amp breaker is really a 15.
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 10:01pm
Yes, that is nice to see it all.
Interesting that the diagrams don't show a 15 amp breaker, which is what my boat has. Diagram on 6-8 does have a 20 amp breaker. I'm assuming that's my 15.
That is the breaker for the fuel pump system and feeds the relay for the fuel system.
If I'm correct that my 15 breaker is the 20 shown in the diagram and I do have play in it, is that significant?

BTW, my boat is starting and running fine in my driveway on the hose. Ran it the day it happened and again today.

Thanks
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 11:10pm
You should be able to check for voltage on both sides of the breakers to verify that they're shut.

The issue might be something that only shows up after running under a load in the water for a while
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 12:03pm
Keno,
I'll do that, but I'm assuming they'll show 12v on each side as the boat is currently running fine.

I'm afraid you're right that it's something that occurs under load after a certain amount of time, thus harder to diagnose.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by chris196 chris196 wrote:

Keno,
I'll do that, but I'm assuming they'll show 12v on each side as the boat is currently running fine.

I'm afraid you're right that it's something that occurs under load after a certain amount of time, thus harder to diagnose.

Just have the multimeter with you in the boat for some quick voltage checks when/ if it happens again
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 8:25pm
Update, I replaced the 2 relays on the back of the engine. I know it was a long shot, but they were cheap and easy to do. I also took apart the FCC and everything in there looked good. but I did not test anything. Just visual inspecion.
Took the boat out this morning and it started same pattern almost immediately.
Started and Idled fine. I was actually first skier and just 30 seconds into my run it exhibited same behavior. Power cuts for a second or 2 at speed. This happened 2-3 times in a very short ski run. I shut things down and looked under the cover. All breakers fine. I guess I was just wrong about this before.
It started fine. I ran it up to speed with no skiers and it did the sudden loss of power again. I didn't let it actually fully fail. I had my multimeter, but wasn't really sure what I would see as boat was idling and running ok when not at speed.
It did die once when idling into dock, but restarted with no problem.

So, I'm at the same spot. Just not sure what is happening.

I've done some more research and am wondering if this is a TFI problem. I'm leaning towards that or high pressure FP. But high pressure FP would have to be this intermittent failure. It feels more like a ignition problem than a fuel problem.

BTW, can I change the name of the thread. It is not the 60 amp breaker.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by chris196 chris196 wrote:

BTW, can I change the name of the thread. It is not the 60 amp breaker.

Yes, just click on "post options". A drop down will come up. Click on "edit".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 9:38pm
TFI troubles according to a mustang site says they either work or they do not. If you have no spark that's what to check.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 9:53pm
Well there was this post in the poor man's GT40 diagnosis.
Sounds similar:

1997 GT40 with approx 700 hrs.

Symptoms: An otherwise perfectly running engine suddenly dies and won't restart. Turns over but won't catch. An hour or more later, starts and runs fine. Later dies and won't start again.

Solution: Bad Ignition Module or TFI(Thick Film Ignition).

Replace TFI by removing it from the heatsink. These TFIs come in four flavors - distributor mount and remote mount, in grey and black. Make sure you get the remote mount, grey one - referred to as "Remote Mount Gray TFI-IV 'Push Start' ICM".
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2017 at 12:26pm
Also, thanks for the replys and reading.
Something like this is hard to figure out.
I think I'll pick up a fuel pressure gauge to check that out also.

Last time I had a problem, it was low pressure fuel pump.
I brought it to dealer before it was a full failure, again kind of intermittent, but different behavior. They replaced some parts which needed replacing anyway so I didn't feel bad about that.
In the end it was diagnosed here on the forum and I told them, I think it's the low pressure fuel pump. So, they said "It's the low pressure fuel pump".
They changed it out and it's run fine for 4 years until now.

So thanks for the help
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2017 at 9:25pm
Update.
Got a loaner fuel pressure gauge from autozone.
Key on, engine off about 8-10psi. I hear the low pressure pump prime up, I'm assuming the high pressure pump goes only when engine running.
Start engine.
At idle I see about 36 psi.
slowly increasing rpms to no more than 2000, I see about 32-34psi.
From what I read I should have about 40 psi.
So maybe something in high pressure fuel circuit.

But, that doesn't explain the scenario where it died and wouldn't even restart. It appears there's enough pressure to idle fine.

While at autozone, I picked up their OEM brand of TFI for $55.

Thanks for the help.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2017 at 9:41pm
You'd should have done a search,there are different TFI's for Ford V8's.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2017 at 9:54pm

Here it is-----
Keith was the module you replaced grey or black?

I was working on my boat today getting it ready for the summer and while inspecting my TFI module (was going to re-apply heatsink compound) found that it was a black module. This had me initially thinking somewhere along the line it must have been replaced with a incorrect module. The main difference between the black and grey modules is that the grey module sets the dwell while with the black module the computer controls the dwell.

The GT40 manual in the reference section (3F-13 page 222) species the use of a black CCD (computer controlled dwell) TFI module. This led to some research and I found what I think is the correct answer. I will confirm this in the next few days at my Ford parts dealership but it already looks conclusive from this article.
TFI Modules Grey or Black

from this article:-

"Since these two TFI systems are so significantly different, yet so similar in appearance, parts application problems will inevitably occur. A gray Push Start TFI module will plug right into a CCD system, and vice versa. To make matters worse, parts books are often incorrect on TFI module applications! With the incorrect TFI module installed, the vehicle will run, but driveability and MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) problems will result. For instance, if a gray Push Start TFI module is installed in a CCD system, the computer will not be able to control ignition dwell, and the MIL will illuminate with memory codes for the IDM circuit set, as the gray TFI module is incapable of generating an IDM signal to the computer. If a black CCD TFI module is installed in a Push Start system, dwell will remain fixed, since the SPOUT signal duty cycle never changes. If in doubt about which TFI module belongs on a particular vehicle, consult the ignition system wiring diagram for the vehicle. If the wire going to pin #4 on the EEC-IV computer comes directly from pin #4 of the TFI module, it is a CCD system. If not, it is a Push Start system."

These should be the correct part numbers for the GT40 TFI
Remote Mount Black CCD "Computer Controlled Dwell" ICM

Motorcraft - DY1077 (supercedes DY679, DY667, DY645)
Ford - 5U2Z-12A297-D (supercedes F1PZ-12A297-A)
Wells - F139
Niehoff - FF413
BWD - CBE40
Standard - LX-241
NapaEchlin - TP29
Delphi - DS10056
Transpo - FM544
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2017 at 10:31pm
I did research first, at least I thought I did.
Note that what you have posted is different than what I read. I got the F125.
When I told the autozone I guy I needed a motorcraft DY1077, he cross referenced to the F125, which is what I found here.
Here's what was in the poor man's gt40 diagnosis:

Replace TFI by removing it from the heatsink. These TFIs come in four flavors - distributor mount and remote mount, in grey and black. Make sure you get the remote mount, grey one - referred to as "Remote Mount Gray TFI-IV 'Push Start' ICM". 

Part Numbers:
Motorcraft - DY1075 (supercedes DY533)
Ford - 5U2Z12A297B (supercedes E8DZ-12A297-A)
Wells - F125
Niehoff - FF411
BWD - CBE33
Standard - LX226
Napa (Echlin) - TP33 (~$73)
Delphi - DS10053
Transpo - FM533
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2017 at 10:50pm
Well dang, I didn't read far enough in that thread.
Looks like I need the F139.

Ok, back to the store.
BTW, it ran fine with that module, but I'm not going at load either.

do you think my fuel pressure numbers look suspect?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2017 at 10:52pm
Definitely rule out a couple of the simple things first. It's possible you have a simple in-line fuel filter under the removable floor section behind the motor box. This would be in addition to the FCC filter. Check if you have one and replace if it's been there a while.

Check your anti siphon valve, and check for any marginal fuel hose. You may have good fuel pressure when not much flow is needed, but the flow could be getting restricted when at speed and the engine is really drinking.
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2017 at 11:49pm
Ok, well I confirmed the F139 from autozone is not the right TFI.
They were kind enough to switch out my F125 for an F139 and now boat won't start.
STarted and ran fine with the F125.
Unless they had them in the boxes wrong, I'm going to say the F125 is the right one.
Not sure they'll switch that out for me again.

I understand what you're saying about starving for fuel. But, I don't think it's because of getting gas from the tank to the FCC canister. All the things you're describing would affect that. And that was the failure I had 4 years ago when it was my low pressure fuel pump. I know what that feels like. This isn't the same.

I'll be running at speed and there is just a momentary loss of power. I mean like a second or 2 blip, then back to normal.

But, at this point I will check anti shipon. I'm pretty sure my boat does not have an inline fuel filter. Fuel filter is inside the FCC.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2017 at 1:16am
I personally don't think that is your problem but maybe you could have them test the new and the old one if they have the equipment, this is off their website-

link 1

link 2

I had one go bad on a Topaz once,when I got home and shut it off it would not restart
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2017 at 9:26am
I need to redo my fuel pressure measurement.
If you look on page SP-6 of the PCM Engine Owners Manual (1995-2001) it says to remove the vacuum hose from the pressure regulator before testing. (note 10).
I didn't do that, so I'll have to retest.

But first, I've got to get a functioning TFI back on there.
That was probably a wild goose chase.

On the bright side, I've become very efficient at changing out TFIs on a GT40.
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2017 at 9:13pm
Ok, this is what I hope is the second to last post I make on this. Last post will be after a successful lake test.

I removed the F139, put in the original motorcraft TFI. The original TFI was working in my driveway when I removed it, but after all this switching of TFIs the original was now not working. This freaked me out as I had thoughts a fried EEC module. I swapped out the F139 for the F125 (BTW, autozone is great, they have my business for life. I know they're just a run of the mill parts store, but they were very good to me) .
I also disconnected the vacuum tube from the fuel pressure regulator.
So she fired up nicely with the new F125 in place. Fuel pressure read 41 psi.
So, I'm feeling pretty good about where things stand.
I ran the engine up to about 2000 rpms briefly. All seemed good, but like I said, I won't declare victory until a successful lake run.

So, definitely do not buy an F139 TFI for your GT40.
The one I have an autozone duralast F125. I'm sure it's just the repackaged wells brand.
Also, it's grey.
chris196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2017 at 2:41pm
I'm back and not with good news.
I was going to lake test the boat today, but decided to make sure everything was still running fine in my driveway before making the trip. No joy. Engine cranking and won't start.
I pay with the ignition and notice I am not hearing the fuel pump pressurize for that 1-2 seconds when I turn on the ignition.
I checked the voltage at pump and nothing, which makes sense.
I then took off the relay and checked the terminals there. I see just over 3V on terminal 30 & 85. Terminal 30 is coming from the 20/15 amp circuit breaker. I say 20/15 because the diagram has a 20, my boat has a 15. I've seen references of it being changed at one point by PCM.
Now, I check the voltage on both sides of my 15 amp circuit breaker and I see that same 3.1V on both sides. But, I see 12V on both sides of my 60 amp breaker. So, somehow between those 2 I'm losing voltage. Maybe a bad ground?

When I look at all the diagrams in the service manual, I do not see the 20/15 amp breaker involved in any other circuit, but I could be missing something there.

I'm assuming it's not the breaker itself as it shows the same voltage on both sides.
But, there is play in the breaker button. I can depress it slightly. That is not the case with my 60 & 12.5

When I previously had the boat running I did read what I believe to be proper fuel pressure numbers at the schrader valve.

And I guess the whole TFI thing was a wild goose chase.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic