Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro's or Con's strapping boat to trailer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro's or Con's strapping boat to trailer
    Posted: June-27-2017 at 9:24pm
What are your thoughts on strapping a boat tightly down to a trailer. I have always let our boats kind of wiggle around on the trailer. My thought was it would be less stress on the fiberglass. I know some states require you to strap it down and you don't have a choice. But in states that have a choice what is better.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 11:16pm
Suggested reading (last post in this thread):
Mr McD
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2017 at 2:46am
X vs Y
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2017 at 4:49am
I strap front and rear every time.
The straps now are very strong and the boat cant move more than 1" without being stopped by a strap or by safety chains. One photo shows the safety chain added so the boat can't slide forward and was taken prior to adding a second chain that goes from the eye forward and connects to the trailer so it can't slip backward.. Now the boat can't slip backward going up hill or forward going downhill, which only happens in extremes.
It won't ever try and come in the back window of our tow vehicle again.
Which it did when I had to brake hard for a group of deer coming out in front of us.
Yeah, I know I have the front bumper poles on the trailer. The boat coming forward bent those out in a Y shape and bent them forward towards the hitch about a foot.
I leave the front a little loose to allow the boat to settle on the trailer after it comes out of the water. Once parked and prior to the drive home I install and tighten the rear straps but the front strap stays a little loose. The nose of the boat will bounce quite a bit while trailering and I think that could cause damage to the boat if it was tied tight on the nose?

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2017 at 8:15am
Personal preference and piece of mind is my advice. I'm only 20 mins from Jackson Lake so I don't strap down the stern on either boat. When I trailer either one long distances then I'll strap the stern down. The Mustang over the top with a ratcheting strap and on the SN I use a strap through the 4 platform brackets. I have seen the stern on the SN slide side to side on the bunks and up against the guide posts in 90' turns but I tribute that to the "great" idea of using silicon spray on the bunks 10+ years ago. (DON'T DO IT!) I think Georgia does not require a rear tie down strap but I know Florida does. Probably should check into it.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2017 at 9:37am
Tim,
I'm with you and do the same. Just a couple miles to the ramp no at the aft end but anything beyond that it's a strap over the gunnels on all my boats. Yes, the will slide side to side without strapping. Regarding the stress on the glass hull, I'd rather have the trailer springs take the hits of big bumps than the hull slamming down on the trailer bunks. With proper aft strapping, the boat and trailer will move up and down together.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic