NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Overheating 351

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overheating 351
    Posted: June-27-2017 at 7:07pm
My boat has been running hot- 170/180 range. When it's in the water under way the temp rises pretty quick. If I idle it comes down to the 155 range. If I put it in idle & rev the engine it comes down to like 150.
So now to what I have done:
I cleaned the transmission oil cooler. (It was pretty gunked up) Cleaned out the fresh water strainer, and installed a brand new impeller. The old impeller had 1 crack in one blade. Nothing was chipped off. Any advice on what else to check would be appreciated!!

Is there a way to make sure the intake on the hull of the boat is not jammed up with stuff? Just weird how when I rev the motor in idle the temp comes down- which would indicate I was getting water.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 8:07pm
Sounds like you're sucking air into the system somewhere. Double check your hose connections and make sure they are wrench "torqued" tight not screwdriver torqued.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 8:30pm
Hoses not just tight but on the barbs all the way and not cracked.
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 8:48pm
Ok- I will check all the hose connections. Would the raw water strainer be an issue?
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 8:53pm
Yes check for bubbles in the raw water strainer. If it is loose or you loose the o ring it will leak. If you do not see any bubbles, I would recommend replacing the thermostat and check for any blockage while you are there.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 8:58pm
As a side note - the previous owner had taken the raw water strainer off the boat. ( stupid on two counts- 1. THEY TOOK IT OFF AND 2. I DIDNT NOTICE!
When I noticed the over heating I went to clean strainer and didn't find one! . Once I figured that the filter was missing I cleaned out the transmission cooler- nasty! . Took the boat out the next time and was still hot. Came home and I changed impeller. Took it out and it's still hot!

Where should I be looking- before or after the pump? All the hoses are new- I replaced them 20 hours ago and did not have issues then.

Last piece to the puzzle is I installed a DUI distributor. The heating issue was before the DUI was installed. I wanted the experts to have the full scope. Again thanks for taking the time to help me!
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 9:08pm
Yes, make sure you have the correct thermostat (143 for a carbed 351). Also recommend using an infrared thermometer to confirm what the gauge is reading.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 9:14pm
Air leaks will be before the pump.
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1981 - SN Owned 33 years - Sold
1968 - Mustang - Sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by bb12 bb12 wrote:

Also recommend using an infrared thermometer to confirm what the gauge is reading.

Yes on the IR before you start throwing parts at it like a T stat!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 9:33pm
Ok I will check the temp to see about the gauge. Gauge has less than 50 hours on it. What are chances of something getting stuck around the t-Stat? And if there is nothing there- could seaweed or debris gotten through since there was no strainer? Also if something got through how quick does it pass through the engine?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2017 at 2:49am
Nobody will know if there is debris downstream but you.

Your symptoms sound much more like an air leak (upstream) than a blockage (downstream).
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2017 at 12:25am
I am still having trouble. I had a spare thermostat, so I installed it just to see. Also torqued the hose clamps and checked the water strainer again.
We took the boat out this weekend on the chain of lakes in Winter Haven. I started the boat and the gauge rose to 143. I was so excited!! Once we got going the temp rose to 160.stayed that way for much of the day. Ran between 150 & 160. So again asking for thoughts.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2017 at 7:02am
Rod,
I don't see a problem with the engine now running in the 150 -160 range. Initially the 170 - 180 was up there and a concern. Keep in mind just because there's a 143 T stat, the engine will not run at 143 under load. You fixed it so happy boating!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2017 at 9:27am
Thanks Pete
Fultilt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fultilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 12:22pm
I had a similar issue with my 351 this weekend.
Mine had the temp just up to 200.    Warning light and buzzer went off.
I immediately shut it down and just floated for about 30mins.   Started it back up and the temp was in the normal 160 range.

I was pulling slalom at the time. First time I've done it with this boat since we got it last year.    Don't know if it was too much strain on the engine or if the pickup was blocked. Or it's something worse.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Fultilt Fultilt wrote:

Don't know if it was too much strain on the engine or if the pickup was blocked. Or it's something worse.

No on the engine strain. Follow the recommendations above if the over temp happens again.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Fultilt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fultilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 11:34am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Fultilt Fultilt wrote:

Don't know if it was too much strain on the engine or if the pickup was blocked. Or it's something worse.

No on the engine strain. Follow the recommendations above if the over temp happens again.

Thanks, I didn't think it would be, but you know the flurry of thoughts that run through you head when something like this happens.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic