NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb leaking

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb leaking
    Posted: June-25-2017 at 3:34pm
Took the 78 out today and skied for about hour until the carb started dumping gas out the back. I imagine because it sat for a few years maybe some things deteriorated. Any thoughts on how hard the rebuild is or any thoughts on replacing it with the Edlebrock from national in Florida. If I remember off the shelf for their marine version is under $300.
I am open to suggestions.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

My favorite sorta hack maneuver that works a surprising number of times is to rap the float bowls in the area of the fuel inlet needle and seat with a screwdriver handle while the engine's running.

Might be a little piece of junk between the needle and seat that gets dislodged and everything smooths out.

You must be able to see big blobs of gas going into either the primary or secondary bores. Give that bowl a good rap

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 3:40pm
After looking at their site it appears they offer the Holley as well. Any thoughts on Holley versus edlebrock?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 3:48pm
Lots here have been going to the Quick Fuel Same basic as the Holley but with better features like external float adjustment. They even have sight glasses built into the bowls for checking the fuel level. What Edlebrock?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 4:36pm
Pete. NCR-1409 from the web page. I have one on the Marauder and so far so good.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 5:16pm
Bill,
I meant to ask why the Edlebrock and not what! I was in a hurry and didn't proof read!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 6:08pm
Get a Quick Fuel and don't look back...
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 6:26pm
If it sat for a few years, it probably could use a good cleaning.

Not very hard to do and a lot cheaper than a new or rebuilt carburetor of any brand
Probably about 40 bucks or so for a rebuild kit with all the parts you need.

Get the list number off the front of the air horn to get the right kit.

You could also try that hack move that Pete referenced from that KenO guy

But with a few years of sitting the rebuild kit and a good cleaning is probably the cheap way to go.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 6:41pm
No worries Pete. Now can I ask why not?

$600 for the quick fuel makes up about 33% of the boats value!😂😂

Ken I may try my hand at the rebuild and I also tried the above mentioned hack.......no dice!
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 8:34pm
Check the list # on the top right front of your present carb-go to Holley's website and find the Model # -this assures the right rebuild kit-I've never heard of anyone replacing the Hollies with Edelbrocks copy of the carter AFB???
Good luck
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2017 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

No worries Pete. Now can I ask why not?

$600 for the quick fuel makes up about 33% of the boats value!😂😂

Ken I may try my hand at the rebuild and I also tried the above mentioned hack.......no dice!

FWIW I paid $470 for my Quick Fuel.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2017 at 12:19am
Quick Fuel works great for me .
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2017 at 4:09am
The 600 cfm can be had for $479. The 650 cfm is $100 more. QF is da bomb! Get it and don't look back.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 2:01am
Bought the kit today. Worked on it tonight and noticed three things. Both floats were set too high, o-rings on feed tube were shot, and someone along the way installed a new gasket over the old gasket on rear bowl. After two hours of razor blade work I know why they slapped a new one over the old, as it came off in pieces the size of a pin head.🙄. Installed it and it ran fine for the few moments it ran in the garage. No leaks so far anyway.
Now ncdoubleup has a quick fuel for sale that you have all been mentioning.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 2:47am
CRC and Permatex make a gasket remover,works much like a paint remover. Permatex is a brush on,the one I have used CRC,is a spray. I think I'd go crazy with a blade,especially that long! Nylon float bowel and inlet gaskets are really nice to.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 8:15am
The transfer tube and end seals mentioned in
this thread are a good solution for the O ring problems on the transfer tube along with the nylon seals Gary mentioned for the float bowl screws

Most of the newer kits these days come with non stick gaskets too, but that didn't help you with the old ones.

Paint stripper has become my favorite gasket removal stuff. It softens them up as good as any real gasket remover I've tried.

It even smells the same, but you get a lot more for the money

That rear bowl gasket is a killer, no other way to describe it
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 10:57am
Oh I sure thought about a solvent but dint have any so kept on with razor. Not next time. One question I have after seeing how the foots and such work.....what happens to the excess fuel from the pump that the carb does not use? Is there a bypass somewhere or does the mechanical pump just pump what's needed and not build more pressure? Just curious.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 11:30am

what happens to the excess fuel from the pump that the carb does not use? Is there a bypass somewhere or does the mechanical pump just pump what's needed and not build more pressure? Just curious.

The rubber diaphragm in the pump just flexes when fuel isn't needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 11:53am
I have one built and ready as a spare.   Id sell it for 175
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

what happens to the excess fuel from the pump that the carb does not use? Is there a bypass somewhere or does the mechanical pump just pump what's needed and not build more pressure? Just curious.

The rubber diaphragm in the pump just flexes when fuel isn't needed.

We're probably saying the same thing basically, but the pump is designed with a max pressure that it will put out at no flow conditions, around 7 psi is a rough number that varies a little with manufacturers but as long as the needle and seat assembly in the carb can shut against the pressure you won't flood things due to excess level in the bowl(s)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 5:06pm
Good info. 7psi can sure squirt lots of gas!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2017 at 9:03am
Took the boat out last night and no leaks anymore. Also my buddy pulled up in his 96 yellow ski brendella and thought he should show me how fast the newer boats go.......I quickly dispelled that myth!😂😂
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2017 at 9:29am

Took the boat out last night and no leaks anymore. Also my buddy pulled up in his 96 yellow ski brendella and thought he should show me how fast the newer boats go.......I quickly dispelled that myth!😂😂

Well Good job I guess that only cost you about 2% or so of the boats value and now you're probably pretty comfortable working with a carburetor
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2017 at 10:24am
Ha! Actually sort of comfy with it. Didn't really go all the way into it. Just the easy parts. Also bought the quick fuel from Jay (ncdoubleup) so as to have a backup if my efforts failed! Boat value is increasing.......
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2017 at 1:49pm
My repair skills are lacking....it stared to leak again out of the back bowl after sting turns. The quick fuel 600 that I purchased from ncdoubleup should be here tmro. I won't be able to add carb rebuilder to my resume after all.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2017 at 1:50pm
Strong turn^^
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic