Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

86 SN 2001 added to the collection:

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DMH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 86 SN 2001 added to the collection:
    Posted: June-23-2017 at 2:21am
Hello,

It’s been awhile. I’ve recently added a new member to the family, this 86 SN 2001.

Mechanic helped to rebuilt the card, new packing, thermostat, oil change, trans fluid change, battery, impeller, bildge pump and other misc items.

She runs well, expected amount of power, need an Acme 540.

That’s the back story.

If someone has a minute I have two mysteries.

1) The thick silver ring right in front of the gland nut is spinning unevenly.
Video Here

2) On the valve cover, the ventilator valve hose. (hose going to the bottom of the carb)

It’s making tick sort of noise. I can feel the vibration in the black piece that I put my hand on in this video. Any ideas?

Video Here

Thank you

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 10:06am
Nice Find.

1) The thick silver ring right in front of the gland nut is spinning unevenly.

That Ring is a safety item that helps keep the drive shaft from jamming the rudder just in case the coupler or drive shaft breaks. This only allows the drive shaft to move so far, to keep it out of the rudder. Normally, you will see these a few more inches up the drive shaft. It has one or two set screws to hold it tight. You can loosen the screws and move it toward the engine a few inches. This also may allow you to straighten it up slightly so it spins freely. Basically, it is a safety retaining ring.

I will let others address the PVC valve sound you are hearing. PVC valves are off the shelf at Auto Parts stores.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 10:14pm
In your safety ring video, your shaft looks to be vibrating while spinning. May indicate a bent shaft.

LINK to PCV Valve
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 11:01pm
I'd say bent shaft or way out of alignment "fretting" the shaft at coupler. (is that the right terminology Pete)
I would like to see a video of the coupler area.

As for the PVC there's a BB inside that acts as a check valve. You could get a new one (they're cheap) or take that one out and spray some carb cleaner in it and see if that cleans it up.
DMH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2017 at 4:16am
Thank you for your messages.

PCV

This part is availabe at the local store. I believe it matches your example part. Would you agree?

Local PCV Valve

Shaft

I do see what you are refering to regarding the bent shaft or out of alignment. I will look at this again from that perspective as well as the coupler area.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2017 at 6:43am
David,
I looked at the shaft/collar video several times. You really can't see .003" runout, but it does look like the collar isn't concentric I think it's due to some stroboscopic effects with the set screw. Don't worry about the collar itself but it's always a good idea to check the shaft Aft of the strut it the critical spot. If you have a dial indicator (a cheap HF is fine if not) is the way to check it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DMH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 6:33pm
The new pcv valve is in.

I haven't been in the water yet to test it or the shaft. I'll check back in when I do.

Thanks again for the advice.
DMH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2017 at 6:02pm
Hello All.

I'm changing the oil.

The manual says 10w30 or 10w40. (5 quarts I think) Any suggestions on the 30 or 40?

Any suggestions of filter type?

Thank you.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2017 at 6:09pm
David,
There's a rather lengthy thread on oil linked in the FAQ thread but in brief, you what an oil with plenty of ZDDP to protect your flat tappets and cam. I happen you use Valvolene VR1 20-50. Regarding the filter, anything except for a Fram is good. I use Napa Gold's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic