NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Type of boom / 1985 Barefoot

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Type of boom / 1985 Barefoot
    Posted: July-06-2017 at 2:42am
It's OK to put your boom in an upward angle...it is much more helpful to beginners if raised at least slightly
This is the life
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2017 at 3:22pm
The deck bracing is factory. Those wide gunnels necessitated support.
Footer 1952 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Footer 1952 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2017 at 7:15pm
Hi,

I have a BI straight on my '86. It works fine. The clamp is close to the motor cover but I only us mine level with the water. Also there is a thick clear plastic sleeve around about 1 foot of the boom that prevents marring your gunwale where the boom rests when in use. (think the bent ones also have one) A straight one probably easier to find used.

Since I regularly use my BI Flyhigh I just loosen the boom clamp and allow the clamp to lay on the carpet at the bottom of the tow pylon so the Flyhigh can slide on the pylon. The clamp is even closer to the motor cover then but still no interference.

(PS drove out the rolled rings on the pylon ski eye and now attach it with SS bolts when using eye for longline) Although nearly everyone wants the Flyhigh behind the boat (including me)

I think I noticed a "glassed in hull sidewall thickener" Just beside (slightly in front) (behind relative to the driver) of the passenger seat. Its visible under the carpeting. I got my boat second hand but always assumed this was to bolster the hull due to the extra downward weight on the hull sidewall with boom and skier. Not sure if your '85 has that. I've put some "big boys" on the boom just to get 'em up on skiis.

Happy 'Footin !!

My name is John
Lets go footin'
'86 Barefoot Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2017 at 3:51pm
BI has weird names for their stuff when it starts bending. I'm not going to attempt to use their terminology.

Straight boom is fine and the most widely used style on a 2001 or any Ski Nautique for that matter until the 200. There weren't any windshield clearance issues that really prompted the curved booms or aggressively tapered pylons.

You can also use one that bends up only and also one that bends up AND forward (or backwards if you flip it over). This style was made for boats with sweeping windshields that extend rear of a tapered pylon. I recommend this as it gets the skier ahead of the chine spray, which is quite significant on a 2001.

Just be aware the low mounted boom clamp will be tight against the motorbox.
baja290 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baja290 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2017 at 10:25am
Looking to purchase a used boom for our 1985 Barefoot Nautique
Barefoot International quotes the "Straight" boom, but I am seeing others in the mid 80's using the contour???
Any advice appreciated.
Eric
Also in the market for a used boom.     
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic