Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1996 Super Sport sunpad issue...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gobluemike2142 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gobluemike2142 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1996 Super Sport sunpad issue...
    Posted: May-22-2017 at 11:37am
Sunpad won't raise. Not sure if the actuator is toast but it makes the hard stop clicking noise when I toggle down. Nothing on the toggle up. I can hear the relay clicking in the engine bay so pretty sure it's getting juice. Any thoughts? If anything else, what gas strut are people using in place of the electric one? I'm guessing this is a pretty common deal and most probably ditch the electric once they die.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2017 at 12:46pm
Have you checked for voltage at the lift motor plug? Thats where I'd start. If I had voltage there I'd make sure the plug was good. If no go then I'd see about changing the motor rather than either replacing the whole thing or jury rigging gas struts but thats just me.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gobluemike2142 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2017 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Have you checked for voltage at the lift motor plug? Thats where I'd start. If I had voltage there I'd make sure the plug was good. If no go then I'd see about changing the motor rather than either replacing the whole thing or jury rigging gas struts but thats just me.

Yeah, the boat is at the service center for that and a separate issue and I wasn't sure how easy those were to get. I couldn't get a look at it being stuck closed and I couldn't get the pin out so I figured I'd let the marina do it for me. Anyone have the motor number just in case? I could order one and tell them I can put it in. Pretty sure the voltage is good considering I can hear the relay clicking when I push the "up toggle" and down is working since I'm getting the "loud clicks" since it is all the way closed.
s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2017 at 4:58pm
Find the relays (probably zip tied on the starboard side down low by the transmission) and check that all the connections are pushed in all the way and tight. Also check the quick disconnect near the motor itself. You may need disconnect and clean up each connection, just make sure you put everything back the same way it came off. If it is stuck shut you can pull up the back seat rest and the dividers and gain access that way. I thought my relay and or actuator motor was fried a couple times but cleaning up but each time I found a loose connection and that fixed it. Oh also make sure the leads are connected tightly to the battery terminal and are clean.
1999 Python Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gobluemike2142 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2017 at 11:58am
Originally posted by s_kelley2000 s_kelley2000 wrote:

Find the relays (probably zip tied on the starboard side down low by the transmission) and check that all the connections are pushed in all the way and tight. Also check the quick disconnect near the motor itself. You may need disconnect and clean up each connection, just make sure you put everything back the same way it came off. If it is stuck shut you can pull up the back seat rest and the dividers and gain access that way. I thought my relay and or actuator motor was fried a couple times but cleaning up but each time I found a loose connection and that fixed it. Oh also make sure the leads are connected tightly to the battery terminal and are clean.

Roger that. The boat is at the service center now since I don't really have time to look at it but if they can't figure it out I will for sure check these connections. My thing is, it makes the loud clicking (when you have it all the way down) when I down toggle so I know it's getting juice. Also, when I up toggle (to raise) I hear the relay clicking in the engine bay. I'll check and clean all that stuff when I pick it up Friday if they haven't figured it out by then.

Thanks for the reply. My first boat so I'm really the newest of newbies here.
s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2017 at 3:40pm
Sounds like the down is working fine and if the relay is clicking when you go to put it up there is probably a loose connection at the relay. This is assuming it was all working correctly before? The relay could have quit but I would exhaust all wiring connections first as I had a tough time finding the correct replacement relay a few years back. I used what I thought was correct relay but it ended up being wrong. Swapped the wires back to the old relay and all worked fine again. I occasionally have the problem where I just hear the relay click and so far I have been lucky that pushing in all connections to make sure they are tight always seems to correct the problem.
1999 Python Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2017 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by gobluemike2142 gobluemike2142 wrote:

My thing is, it makes the loud clicking (when you have it all the way down) when I down toggle so I know it's getting juice. Also, when I up toggle (to raise) I hear the relay clicking in the engine bay. .

Mike,
Just because you hear the relay clicking, doesn't mean you are getting power to the linear actuator motor. The contacts in the relay may be fried or as Shawn has mentioned there's a bad connection someplace. I shutter to think about the $$$ a marina will charge plus install parts that may not be needed? If you do decide to fix it yourself, get the VOM (volt Ohm meter) out and test before buying anything.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gobluemike2142 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2017 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by gobluemike2142 gobluemike2142 wrote:

My thing is, it makes the loud clicking (when you have it all the way down) when I down toggle so I know it's getting juice. Also, when I up toggle (to raise) I hear the relay clicking in the engine bay. .

Mike,
Just because you hear the relay clicking, doesn't mean you are getting power to the linear actuator motor. The contacts in the relay may be fried or as Shawn has mentioned there's a bad connection someplace. I shutter to think about the $$$ a marina will charge plus install parts that may not be needed? If you do decide to fix it yourself, get the VOM (volt Ohm meter) out and test before buying anything.

Will do, thanks guys. It makes me nervous about bringing the boat there for stupid things that just worked the week before but I suppose it's all in the learning process. I'm really trying to learn as much as I can so I can tackle some of the minor stuff myself. I agree on the bad connection just had no clue where to look for these things. Looking at the engine bay is just crazy to me. I can do the hell out of a stereo setup but this stuff is still really new to me. Love the Nautique family though and people here and PN have been an awesome resource.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2017 at 2:09am
Mike, I feel your pain. When I bought my SS, I dropped it off at the local Nautique dealer thinking they'd be straightforward in fixing things like a trailer light, steering cable, fuel filter and a nice detail (which they outsource anyways).

They did not do anything quite right. Steering was not centered, so I could not turn right. The fuel filter canister was not refilled and had a serious issue with getting primed. The detail was nice. Brought it back for second chance and asked them to change props for my trouble. Got rhe steering centered but the prop wasn't lapped in and kept coming loose.

It's better to struggle and learn than pay for questionable work anyways.

If you can get the boat back without too much $$$. Fix it yourself and teach your kids how to help--get them involved and let us help you from this site. You'll not only save money and learn a lot about fixing the SS, you'll also have some smart kids who will carry on the tradition.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2017 at 2:17am
As mentioned, if you take the seat back up and out, you can slide those Grey panels out of the way for battery access. You can get to that pin through there too.

If you can swap in a fresh charged battery and connect all of the accessories to the terminals, I'm guessing things will work again.

Maybe you're leaving something on to drain the battery. Try turning the ignition breaker off when you're finished with the boat. It could be there's a drain on the battery while it is sitting unused (bilge pump if your cover doesn't keep the rain out very well, or maybe the radio is not being turned off....you get the idea). If you turn the ignition breaker off, you'll shut all accessories off stopping battery drain.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic