Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'94 Sport Nautique - My first boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
KTMrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTMrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '94 Sport Nautique - My first boat
    Posted: May-17-2017 at 12:14pm
Hey guys

As the title says, I recently purchased a '94 Sport Nautique which has been well taken care of with 640 hrs. Its the first boat I've owned and I have a few questions to get started in the right direction. I did spend some time on the water many years ago when I was younger but that's about the extent of my on-water experience. My friend had an early 80's Ski Nautique that we used for skiing, tubing and barefooting. I'm now 47 with two young boys and want to have some watersports fun with them.

I've signed up for a boater safety course and recently attended an event for boat safety and proper procedure going through the locks on the river near us where we intend to dock the vessel.

Any help/suggestions on the following would be appreciated:
1. recommendation on good mooring cover? I intend to keep it docked at a marina.
2. any specific type of dock bumper/fenders I should look that work better for the correct craft type boat?
3. does it matter what type of mooring/docking rope is used?
4. what type of anchor and rope should I use? Or do I even need one?
5. any recommended extra engine parts I should carry on board?

I know Im probably forgetting about other items so any useful recommendations on what to use/buy would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 1:12pm
Congrats and you need to post some pictures.

Taking the coast guard course is a great idea, if your kids are close to 12yrs old have them take it with you.

1. Check with Angola Covers in Indiana,
2. IMO any fender will work, bigger the better, some guys like the bouncy ball things with the handles - hippity hop balls or something like that. Biggest challenge on bumbers may be a place to attach on the boat.
3. I like colored match is all, anything will work as long as strong enough
4. I bought like 150' anchor line and rubber coated danforth anchor 30 years ago, works fine and still have it
5. Impeller and a jump box, after you get to know the boat you may need other things.

Do you have any driving/towing skier experience?? If not would be a really good idea to maybe join a local ski club or hook up with a local CCFan in your area, Paul (Gundriver) on the site being one that comes to mind.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 1:56pm
Don't forget tools either,regular and phillips screwdriver,nut driver to fit your hose clamps.7/16, 1/2, 9/16 combo wrenches,channel lock pliers,needle nose pliers and a volt ohm meter. Put it all in a cloth tool bag from Harbor Freight. Do not ask Quinner for his tool box recommendations   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
hal2814 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hal2814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 4:31pm
Regarding 5, the only things I've experienced that were fixable but have left me stranded on the water (or made it really tough to get back in) are a broken drive belt, a dead impeller, and once when we ran over the ski rope. I've had other things go wrong out there but they were either minor enough to get back to dock easily or major enough that I wasn't fixing them on the water no matter what parts/tools I had with me. So I keep spare belts and last year's impeller on board as far as spare engine parts. I also keep a knife and snorkel mask handy with my tools.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 7:10pm
I have a '95 Sport Nautique (same boat as the '94). Really a great all round boat. Hard to find a boat that will ski and wakeboard as well. It is one of the classic wakeboarding hulls (the Super Air Nautique 210 used the same hull until 2006) and the boat was waterski tournament rated back in it's day.

As mentioned Angola Canvas is a great bet for a cover. They are hard to beat on price and do great work. Just be sure to mention that you are going to keep the boat in the water so they can advise on the best cover for that. I have one of their cover and love it but mine covers the swim platform so I can't use it when the boat is in the water.

I used the Polyform G Series fenders that you can buy off Amazon. They are relatively cheap and well made. The also come in multiple colors. The G2 is the correct size for the stern of the boat and the G3 size work well with the factory cleat at the Windshield.

If it is in the budget, I'd recommend upgrading the prop. Best option for this is to post what you have and some numbers (top speed and top RPM) and the prop experts here can recommend an upgrade. Props have gotten much better since the boat was made and it is also good insurance to have a spare prop so you don't ruin a weekend if you hit something out there.

And looking into adding Perfect Pass or another speed control device. It makes a world of difference to the driving and skiing/riding experience. I personally think it's also a safety device as it keep less experienced drivers from getting distracted trying to monitor speed.

Lets see a picture of the boat.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 8:02pm
Why can't you use a cover that covers the platform in the water? We did it for many years.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 8:15pm
I think I know,saw it in another thread-- is it because you have to get in the water??
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Why can't you use a cover that covers the platform in the water? We did it for many years.

I had always just assumed that the cover would get wet and it wouldn't last.

And maybe also this

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I think I know,saw it in another thread-- is it because you have to get in the water??
96 Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 8:56pm
You can put the cover on without getting wet if you know what you're doing. I sometimes put my cover on while on the lift and I don't get in the water... not that it's the end of the world though. I can't think of any other way to secure the cover around the back of a NWZ euro tail (without the dreaded snaps). It does get wet and you may want to clean it more often but the cover holds up fine (at least the materials we've had were a non-issue).
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2017 at 4:24am
You're not supposed to get your cover wet.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2017 at 9:12am
2.) I use the Taylor Made, Tuff End, round buoy fenders. I fasten them to the dock instead of the boat. There are cheaper options, but they've held up well and protected the boat well. I used a bigger one towards the front, where the bow sweeps in.

1.) On the cover, you'll need some method of propping it up too, so it acts as a tent when it rains. I used a section of PCV tube with an end cap, slipped over the pylon towards the front, and purpose built pole to prop the back section. Although, I plan to make something out of pvc for the back as well, as the pole puts a lot of stress on one spot on the cover.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2017 at 9:32am
Hey Cory, Looks like you got some good info already... what river/marina are you at?

Here are some of my suggestions:
1) Angola does make good covers for our boats, I've had one that fit decent right out of box, since you are going to leave boat at dock, you may want to give Tumac's in Pleasant Hills a call and price a custom fit sunbrella cover. My Dad bought one from them in the 80s that still looks good!

2) Taylor made fenders work great and seem to be std... probably a pair of 20" is all you would need... are you aloud to use "mooring whips" at marina? If so, I'd invest in them!

3) Yeah, dock lines need to be color matched... 1/2"-5/8" double braided pre-spliced.

4) On the rivers for temporary use, the mushroom style anchors hold well in the mud. I have a Fortress (danforth style) and it is overkill for a ski boat! Get at least 150' anchor line... you will need it to lock up and down as well... typically, when anchoring... you only need 75-100' rode out for good hold on river.

5) In my boat, I have extra impeller, set of belts, extra spark plug or two, section of extra waterhose (left over), hose clamps, zip ties, electrical tape, stabil for fuel, quart oil, tran fluid, tool kit, paddle, etc (stuff starts to accumulate)...

Good luck, see you out there!

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2017 at 10:22am
Best tool to have on board in case of emergency is your cell phone.

It's also good to have someone (besides 911) on land you can call if you get stranded.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2017 at 12:23pm
Many people are Angola fans but I also have to add that I have had exceptional service from Carver Cover.

It probably goes without saying, but if you are going to leave the boat in the water be sure and test out your auto bilge system by putting the plug in and adding water to be sure its working.
KTMrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTMrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2017 at 12:24pm
Thanks so much for the great information! It will certainly be helpful in my new venture. Looking forward to our first trip out this Memorial Day Weekend.

@quinner - I have lots of experience with trailering but my wife not so much. I've been game-planning on how exactly to coordinate our launching & loading procedure. My eldest son is only 12 and my wife has never driven a boat or backed up a trailer so a little practice is a good idea for sure.

@AAM196 - I haven't chosen a marina as of yet. I'm very close to Lock 5 in Freeport and Lock 7 in Kittanning. I plan to check out those pools and see which we like better.

Here are a few pictures.

sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2017 at 1:24pm
I've been waiting for pictures. Looks nice. Have a good Summer.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2017 at 4:05pm
Your boat is very similar to mine. Except for the black hull stripe.

Interior is the same teal on teal but I am currently replacing my interior and chose a blue as I couldn't find a good match for the original teal.
96 Super Sport
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2017 at 10:40pm
I am doing that it takes a while to swap out the skins. I took mine off 4 months ago and sent them to Christines for the pattern. Now I have having too look at pictures and stuff to put them back on. I is slow going. Probably 3 more days worth of work before I am done.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2017 at 8:24pm
Great looking boat.

As far as backing in. I always back it in until right before the boat is floating so I can still get in with dry feet. I then unhook it from the trailer and my wife backs it in the other 6 or so feet for it to slide off and then she pulls the truck and trailer up and parks it. It's pretty easy that way as anyone can back a trailer up 6 feet and drive forward.

Loading I back it in to where it needs to be. My wife gets in the driver seat of the truck and I jump in the boat and drive it on the trailer and then she pulls up and I take over on dry land. It works for us. I hope everything goes good this weekend!
92 Sport nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2017 at 9:02pm
Take your wife to a big empty parking lot and let her practice with nobody around.
She needs to be comfortable turning a trailer around and backing it up.
While backing it up she needs to be able to make necessary adjustments.
After the big empty parking lot take her to a empty boat launch. Go at off hours.
Give her a chance to get used to backing up at the boat launch with the steep grade to deal with.
Years ago my wife figured out it was better to launch the boat than drive the truck and trailer. I back in till the boat is nearly floating and the engine pick up is in the water. She starts it up and then gives me the OK to launch. Use signs as it is hard to hear at a noisy boat launch.    She will idle the boat around outside the launch area and then come pick me up after I hike back to the dock.
Same thing putting the boat back on the trailer. She drops me off, I fetch the truck and trailer she drives up and onto the trailer, most times does this well. Try it in the wind sometime, much more of a challenge as the boat will blow with the wind messing up your aim.    Have her practice this stuff at the beginning and you will never have an issue.
Notice I said make sure it is running before you do the final back up and let the boat float off.
Once years ago when our kids were 2 and 4 I launched my wife at a river river ramp. The boat did not start but took off in the current.   I parked and swam about a 1/2 mile ( A half mile swim takes quite a while) before catching her and getting pretty much chewed out big time. Lucky I was a swimmer through college and had the ability to swim and catch her so it turned out fine other than my butt was in hot water for a while.
Now my wife is very proud of the fact that she is very good at launching and returning the boat to a trailer.   She laughs at the Gals that sit like onaments in the boat while the guy/boyfriend/husband drives the boat down, ties it off and parks the trailer then returns to the boat to drive it away while his "ornament" sits in the bikini and offers no help. All the while they have a boat ramp tied up long enough that 10 qualified drivers could have launched.   ( if this offends anyone, work on your skills, boat launches are for launching not for parking )
Edit: one more important issue, all who drive the boat need to know that boats turn from the rear where the rudder is. As you turn the rear of the boat will swing in an arc the direction you point it. You in the drivers seat might be in 8 feet of water but the rear of the boat can swing 10 feet closer to shore as you turn around, If turning in shallow water make sure the driver knows to keep the prop in deep water. I have seen more than one person destroy a prop turning it around near a boat launch. Concrete is hard on a prop.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2017 at 9:37pm
you'll love that Sport.

Train your wife like mrmcD says. it will be worth it.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2017 at 1:17pm
I got a good laugh thinking about Mark swimming after the boat while it drifted away. That's definitely something I would do!

I do a lot of one man launching of my boats (result of not having any friends ). After a while you figure out the sequence and methods that work best, how to get the boat secure if no dock, how to prepare ahead of time so you don't hold up others that are waiting. It definitely can be stressful at times.

And, interesting observation ..... when I launch on weekdays with no crowd waiting to launch, people are polite and offer to help and I always offer to help others. On the weekend, with a wait for the launch, totally different story. Just the difference of locals vs. visitors, for whatever reason.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2017 at 2:08pm
Yep wife forgot about the turning thing after she missed getting lined up with the trailer. After this she decided she wanted to do the backing in part.

I also launched one out into the river first launch of my new to me '95.
With my '85 I always was able to unhook everything back down the ramp get in start it up and my wife would park truck & trailer. Went to launch the '95 for the first time did everything the same but did not know/realize the PO waxed the bottom along with using that slippery bunk stuff on the trailer. Well half way down the ramp I see the boat departing the trailer so I had to floor the truck to get it in the water far enough before it came off the trailer. Boat self launched into the river heading to the point in downtown Pittsburgh with no occupants, luckily a guy in his fishing boat came to the rescue (after he stopped LHAO) now the bow line never gets detached until it's in and running.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2017 at 3:13pm
For single hand launching I use a bow line with around 3 ft. of slack and looped around the crash pad post or on my other boat the winch post. Once the boat starts to float off the trailer it's gently caught by the bow line.

I do unhook the turnbuckle on the Nautique before backing down, only exception is if the bunks are wet from a same day launch. I've never had it move on me. No idea why someone would want to use something to make the bunks slick.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2017 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by KTMrider KTMrider wrote:

Thanks so much for the great information! It will certainly be helpful in my new venture. Looking forward to our first trip out this Memorial Day Weekend.

My eldest son is only 12 and my wife has never driven a boat

I started driving the boat alone around 12. 4 years later, I'm finally able to legally drive it this weekend and not worry about DNR getting me.

Hope your weekend goes well and make sure you enjoy it!
1972 Mustang
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2017 at 8:48pm
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2017 at 5:18am
My wife can be a sweetheart till you piss her off then Katie bar the doors she knows how to be angry. Sending her down river with a boat that did not start with two young kids to protect fell into that pissed her off category. I think it was because she was afraid. We had launched in a river she did not know at a launch she did not know in a fast current and then she had no engine. I will say I was young and as most young people do I assumed too much and paid the price. Glad you got a laugh out of it.
By the time I got there after swimming I had two problems, A choke issue that kept it from starting and the battery was now dead from all the attempts to start it. But it worked out, got it going and still got to ski that day.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2017 at 9:50am
Lucky she didn't whip you into the bridge abutment!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 6:34pm
Dare we ask how this went?

KTMrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTMrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2017 at 10:09pm
Thanks so much for the great advice and stories.

We had a lot of rain last weekend (Memorial Day) so we were unable to get out due to poor river conditions. However, we did get out yesterday and had loads of fun and no issues. My boys braved the cold water and did get on the tube and I just enjoyed playing with my new toy! I don't have much to compare to but it seemed very stable in the water with lots of power. I basically used the single hand launching procedure with wife holding bow line. Definitely room for improvement but iactually went fairly smooth for first time. Preparation is definitely the key, as well as keeping a cool head. We ended up renting dock space for the season at a local marina. It's seems to be a low key atmosphere with nice people willing to welcome a newbie. Looking forward to new adventures and meeting new friends.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic