Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting problems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BigJohn47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigJohn47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting problems
    Posted: April-23-2017 at 4:18pm
HI Everyone,i,m a newbee and i am desperate for some help.I have a 2001 Ski Nautique with a 351w v8 5.8 with pcm electronic ignition running on a holley double pumper so the problem i,m having is that the boat was running fine and i tied up for some lunch,when i came back my son had been cranking and cranking and the boat was stinking of fuel so i guessed it was flooded so after it was left for a while i attempted to restart however the engine would only run with the key held on the start position so i checked and re-checked the teether switch and all was good so that was 2 weeks ago and i,ve went through the wiring as far as my knowledge would let me but i,m stumped so would this be a fault in the solenoid at the rear of the engine,pleae help.
JohnM.
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2017 at 6:28pm
Ballast resistor may be bad.   Get a VOM and start at ignition switch. Should have 12 volts from BAT to ground. Turn key on, should have 12 volts from IGN to ground. Since it cranks and runs in START position that part is good. If no volts from switch in IGN then switch is bad.

Go to ballast which is on back of engine under plastic cover if it's still had cover. Should have 12 volts on one side of ballast with when in run position and 6-8 volts on other terminal if points are closed and 12 volts if not closed. If no reading check ballast resistance. I would lift leads off of one terminal so that your not measuring something else in circuit. Resistance 1-1.5 ohms or so.   No resistance = bad
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1981 - SN Owned 33 years - Sold
1968 - Mustang - Sold

BigJohn47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigJohn47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 5:24am
Thanks Mark for your help with this buddy its very much appreciated,i,ll try that today and post my progress,
JohnM.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2017 at 10:54am
It's probably leaking fuel out of the booster is when it's hot because of a bad needle and seat. It's super common. If you smell fuel the fastest way to start the boat is to hold the throttle all the way open but be ready to snap it back to idle so you don't over rev the engine. If it starts using that method it's flooded and likely because of the issue above.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic